Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968117 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14475 on: October 14, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

Most arguments I've heard are more along the lines of the sensory benefits a book lends the story. You know, the feel of the pages, the smell, etc. That character is not something an ebook can provide - of course, were we all brought up from a young age on ebooks it would be different probably.
Yeah, my eyesight would be worse as I could turn up the book's brightness to read long into the night. Ebooks are nice because they are cheap, easily obtained, and easily adjusted for each person. I don't like reading them because I read screens too much as it is.

Well, that's the big upside of a dedicated e-reader like the Kindle. I can read for hours at a stretch without straining my eyes any more than I would on paper, and since they're not backlit it's no worse than an ordinary book for late-night reading.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: October 14, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »

Yeah, my eyesight would be worse as I could turn up the book's brightness to read long into the night. Ebooks are nice because they are cheap, easily obtained, and easily adjusted for each person. I don't like reading them because I read screens too much as it is.

But... why would you turn up the brightness at night? If it's dark, then you need less backlighting for the screen to be readable. Turning up the brightness makes it easier to read in direct sunlight by reducing glare on the screen.

Nowadays, even a cheap netbook is blindingly bright, if you're using it in a dark room. Even in a sufficiently-lit setting, my tablet goes all the way up to "eye melting". I rarely use any screen on full brightness.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:26:15 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: October 14, 2015, 02:21:27 pm »

itisnotlogical is an aye-aye.

None of this conversation is terrifying. I am disappoint, guys.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: October 14, 2015, 02:29:07 pm »

itisnotlogical is an aye-aye.

None of this conversation is terrifying. I am disappoint, guys.

The inevitable entropic heat death of the universe.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: October 14, 2015, 02:34:07 pm »

Not that scary, since there's a chance our universe may have enough mass to create a self contained shape which will inevitably collapse into itself, given enough time, which would eventualy cause another big bang, meaning our universe may be cyclical :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: October 14, 2015, 02:39:23 pm »

Not that scary, since there's a chance our universe may have enough mass to create a self contained shape which will inevitably collapse into itself, given enough time, which would eventualy cause another big bang, meaning our universe may be cyclical :v
Uh...We'd still be dead?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: October 14, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »

Uh...We'd still be dead?
So? :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: October 14, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »

Don't worry, you'll be dead for many billions of years before anything interesting happens on the scale of the universe as a whole.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: October 14, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »

Don't worry, you'll be dead for many billions of years before anything interesting happens on the scale of the universe as a whole.
Speak for yourself.
I intend to live forever or die trying.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »

I intend to live forever or die trying.
Sig'd.
Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: October 14, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »

Psh.

I'm ok with death.
I'm also ok with living forever.
I'm ok with a lot of things, actualy :v

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:12 pm »

Living forever would be great for me. Lots of people go on about it being a terrible thing, citing the death of friends and family, etc. But they were going to die anyway. By the time you reach 90, most people you knew are dead, and you yourself are a dried version of the younger you.

So yea. Everlasting life would be nice. Preferably with a self-kill mechanism in built just in case, but if the only version of immortality comes without it then that's alright. Even a painful existence is preferable to no existence in my opinion.

As a related thought that is a derail but which just occurred to me, what about pre-birth heaven. That should be a thing in Christianity. There's afterlife to explain away the nothingness after death, but they don't tend to think about the nothingness before birth
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: October 14, 2015, 07:44:51 pm »

Thinking about death too much scares the living daylights out of me. Bring on the immortality! I'll explore the universe while slowly working through my gaming backlog.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

Bah, immortality. As long as one considers death to be the opposite of life, one will not be able to understand it. Death is as much part of life as birth and all the bits along the way: A life without a good and proper death is as worthless as a life without good and proper friendship, desire, love, regrets. Dying well is a part of living well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1420