Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965162 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #7620 on: June 19, 2014, 12:24:51 pm »

Welp.

>Was boiling some water for ramen on the stove while the parents were out.
>Smelled something like grease burning.
>Go to check the water in time to see a crap ton of greasy smoke rising from the burner.
>A small grease fire suddenly flares up around the burner.
>Take the small pot of water off the stove.
>Think about how to handle the situation.
>Turn burner off.
>Pour some water from the pot onto the grease fire.
>"Water douses fire right?"
>Grease fire explodes into a column of flame reaching up to the ceiling AS SOON AS THE WATER HITS IT.
>"SHIT I'M GOING TO BURN THE HOUSE DOWN WITH WATER"
>"SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE"
>"OH GOD"
>fire goes out.
>nothing died
>nothing caught fire
>no ramen made

Guess I'm not having any ramen today. Good thing I checked the water again before I got too immersed in games. I could've wound up starting a fire. I could've burned the house down. Still shaky from adrenaline. Jesus Christ how horrifying.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: June 19, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »

Welp.

>Was boiling some water for ramen on the stove while the parents were out.
>Smelled something like grease burning.
>Go to check the water in time to see a crap ton of greasy smoke rising from the burner.
>A small grease fire suddenly flares up around the burner.
>Take the small pot of water off the stove.
>Think about how to handle the situation.
>Turn burner off.
>Pour some water from the pot onto the grease fire.
>"Water douses fire right?"
>Grease fire explodes into a column of flame reaching up to the ceiling AS SOON AS THE WATER HITS IT.
>"SHIT I'M GOING TO BURN THE HOUSE DOWN WITH WATER"
>"SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE"
>"OH GOD"
>fire goes out.
>nothing died
>nothing caught fire
>no ramen made

Guess I'm not having any ramen today. Good thing I checked the water again before I got too immersed in games. I could've wound up starting a fire. I could've burned the house down. Still shaky from adrenaline. Jesus Christ how horrifying.

For future reference, you want to smother a grease fire. Put a pot lid or something over it if possible to starve it of oxygen. You can also pour baking soda on it apparently, though I've never tried. Just never for the love of all that is good and holy throw water on it! As you've learnt already.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7622 on: June 19, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

How have you gone through N/A years of your life without any fire safety training?

Ah well, doesn't matter. And just in case no one can be asked to read the Egypt and the World and Libya megathread:

Iraq crisis: Isis jihadists 'seize Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons stockpile'
PREPARE TO GO INNAMNTAINS

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: June 19, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

Oh man, I remember starting a grease fire, I tried to fry a hot dog while having no idea what I'm doing, and ended up heating the grease until it started to let off steam. (I assumed grease was supposed to boil like water :P Turns out it doesn't.)
Tried to put in hot dog -> huge fire that reached to the ceiling instantly.
I then grabbed the pot and dumped the whole thing in the sink, and the sink ended up actually warping slightly from the heat.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: June 19, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »

...how did you people not know that you can't use water on a grease fire? >_<

----

Wait, what? Are you saying we left a huge stockpile of chemical weaponry just sitting around for years after we invaded over WMDs?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »

Wait, what? Are you saying we left a huge stockpile of chemical weaponry just sitting around for years after we invaded over WMDs?
Yeah, but we knew about those already, so it's alright. I mean, Saddam used them on his own people in the 90s.

It's only the invisible atrocities and weapons that the Americans invade for. You do something blatant and obvious like gas your own citizens and you'll be fine.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7626 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: June 19, 2014, 04:10:36 pm »

In their defense, what I'm reading indicates that they were chemical weapons we knew about, were working on destroying, and were (and still are) considered unlikely to be very functional because of poor storage conditions. If all that's true, all I can really criticize them for is the sloth in getting the destruction part done, and I don't have a full list of their actual priorities over the last several years. Particularly on the US military's side, there's been a lot of civilian calls for speedy withdrawal. Given that, I'd expect that this sort of task was exactly the sort of thing that got handed over to local forces to minimize tasks that need doing before withdrawal, then got filed at the bottom of the priorities list for whatever reason.

I mean, it's still a clusterfuck, but it's one where I have to blame bureaucracy as an abstract concept more than anything else, if my impressions about it are accurate.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

Chemical weapons are a nightmare to destroy without killing yourself doing it. With bioweapons, it's as simple matter of sterilization, while nukes can be rendered non-functional by removing the chemical explosives and damaging the fissile material (an implosion-type nuclear devices requires a very precise explosion compressing the core in a very precise way. If the core is damaged, it cannot explode) before seperating it. Nerve gasses and such are too toxic to eliminate by dilution, incineration is all too likely to simply spread the poison, which means that the only solutions are dumping (with obvious problems), or using light and chemical reactions to break down the agents, which takes considerable amounts of time. IIRC, most of the nations that signed the treaty banning them in the first place still have significant stockpiles simply because destroying them takes so long.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: June 19, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »

I say we just launch them into the sun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:56 pm »

I say we just launch them into the sun.
I second this motion.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: June 19, 2014, 06:33:40 pm »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:43 pm »

Destroying chemical weapons is usually pretty straightforward - treating them with a strong base does the trick for most of them. The problem is their toxicity (duuh), so the destruction process becomes much more difficult than for an ordinary substance.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: June 19, 2014, 07:01:36 pm »

What terrified me today?

A children's cartoon, of all things, which took a weird spin on a "zombie apocalypse" scenario and made it more disturbing than the living dead. Much more disturbing. This is the most unnerving children's cartoon I have seen in my life.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: June 19, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

What terrified me today?

A children's cartoon, of all things, which took a weird spin on a "zombie apocalypse" scenario and made it more disturbing than the living dead. Much more disturbing. This is the most unnerving children's cartoon I have seen in my life.
What was it, out of curiosity? Something people here will have heard of or something that's generally obscure and weird?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1420