Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964400 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6105 on: December 12, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »

I have entered the 21st century today, by receiving my first ever smartphone (a Motorola Moto X).

It's terrifying.
There are no buttons, and there are millions of (virtual) buttons.
The thing can do shit Captain Kirk would have been jealous of, but it took me five minutes to figure out how to make a phone call.
I idly said "I need to find a GPS app", and the phone found one (several, actually).
It has a camera twice as powerful as any actual dedicated digital camera I've ever owned.
There are so many bells and whistles (literally, in some cases) that I'm almost afraid to do anything with it.

I've become that old guy who doesn't know how to set the time on his VCR.
Don't worry, no one knows how to set the time on their VCR.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: December 12, 2013, 04:26:08 pm »

[old manning intensifies]
Nobody even tried, and never will again because they don't own one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »

Shit, ask some modern kid to explain what a VCR even is. I'll bet a number of them will have no clue.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »

I have entered the 21st century today, by receiving my first ever smartphone (a Motorola Moto X).

It's terrifying.
There are no buttons, and there are millions of (virtual) buttons.
The thing can do shit Captain Kirk would have been jealous of, but it took me five minutes to figure out how to make a phone call.
I idly said "I need to find a GPS app", and the phone found one (several, actually).
It has a camera twice as powerful as any actual dedicated digital camera I've ever owned.
There are so many bells and whistles (literally, in some cases) that I'm almost afraid to do anything with it.

I've become that old guy who doesn't know how to set the time on his VCR.
If it helps i can't use a smartphone either.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: December 12, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

Shit, ask some modern kid to explain what a VCR even is. I'll bet a number of them will have no clue.
:'(

not helping guys

gonna go listen to an 8-track to cheer myself up

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: December 12, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »

I still refuse to get a smartphone. Even though almost all of my friends have one (there's like, three or four people who don't), I simply don't see the need for any of the shit it has. The only appealing thing about it would be extra memory space for music and a non shit camera. Everything else my trusty old Nokia has and does admirably, and without the ridicilous fragility or insane cost (to say nothing of the retardedly short planned lifetime).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:08 pm »

I still refuse to get a smartphone. Even though almost all of my friends have one (there's like, three or four people who don't), I simply don't see the need for any of the shit it has. The only appealing thing about it would be extra memory space for music and a non shit camera. Everything else my trusty old Nokia has and does admirably, and without the ridicilous fragility or insane cost (to say nothing of the retardedly short planned lifetime).
Internet and What'sApp are pretty damn useful.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: December 12, 2013, 05:03:22 pm »

I honestly don't have much need for a constant internet connection. For any reason, if I need to kill time when I'm out, I listen to music, or think, or draw, or daydream, or talk to the people I'm with. One of the thigns that is annoying me to no end is seeing all these people hanging out with smartphones and half of them aren't even there, they're surfing or chatting or whatever. Why the heck did you go out then, if you'll just stare at that screen half the evening?

As some comic, or person or something nicely said: "Hey, where do you want to go and stare at our smartphone this weekend?"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: December 12, 2013, 05:14:33 pm »

:'(

not helping guys

gonna go listen to an 8-track to cheer myself up

Put on some Barry Manilow and hang out in your leisure suit.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

I don't intend to get a smartphone anytime soon.  Just give me a fucking phone that is good at being a phone and nothing else.  Sturdy, good call quality, and real buttons of a finger-friendly size.

I would rather have that, plus a handful of other items specialized for their respective tasks, than one item that is mediocre at every task.  And I imagine it's cheaper in the long-run, too, than sinking money endlessly into a data plan.

Even having internet everywhere I go is of limited use, since I rarely go anywhere that doesn't have internet.  The only time I would ever use this capability is when I absolutely have to know something while in the process of traveling from Point A to Point B, which is a rare enough need that I can't justify hopping on the smartphone bandwagon.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:46 pm »

My smartphone is internet box, gps, flashlight, idle game box, text/chat box, camera, barcode scanner, calendar/watch, appointment book, mailbox, bookshelf, photo album, and phone. In order. Until recently, it was also my timeclock. I used to think I wanted just a phone, but then I realized that I use all this other stuff way more than I'd ever use a phone. I couldn't justify spending money on just a phone, because I only spend about 15 minutes a month on the phone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: December 12, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »

Between a non-smart phone, camera, Windows tablet, and GPS, I've got all that covered.  Smartphone would probably be slightly more convenient at times than the tablet, but the extra capability from always having a decently powerful computing device running a desktop operating system with me all the time more than makes up for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: December 12, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »

Being a non-talker (and consequentially a non-phoner), I find smart-phones okay to use (but still aren't going out of my way to actually buy one just because).

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »

I have a smartphone...

My parents offered though so I can't complain :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: December 12, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »

I just don't see how it would meaningfully improve my life, really. I'm doing a lot to disconnect in a lot of ways. Mind you, I love you guys too much to quit with forums, but having more time where I'm functionally alone is doing a lot of good.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1420