Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964172 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4815 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:26 am »

Neighbors woke me up last night with their usual noise that when I first hear it makes me think someone is breaking into my apartment through the patio. Kind of frightening but then again it's my fault for going to bed at 8:30pm in a town with a party school. The nightlife here is insane.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 21, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »

Kentucky has a lot of scary people, from what I've heard.
I can vouch for this. Get far enough out in the country and every third house is a burned-out former meth lab. The other two are half-collapsed barns and trailers. I really wish I was exaggerating (much). Granted, there are a lot of friendly, welcoming people, but even then a lot of them give off vibes that hint at Deliverance just a little too much for comfort.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:23 pm »

I moved out of KY about three years ago, because of my dad's work, and since then a meth lab was found in an abandoned building behind the movie theater we used to go to.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »

Kentucky has a lot of scary people, from what I've heard.
I can vouch for this. Get far enough out in the country and every third house is a burned-out former meth lab. The other two are half-collapsed barns and trailers. I really wish I was exaggerating (much). Granted, there are a lot of friendly, welcoming people, but even then a lot of them give off vibes that hint at Deliverance just a little too much for comfort.

Yup, I know exactly what that's like.  That's the kind of place I grew up for 8 years.  Little town that was barely large enough to qualify for its own post office, and the nearest Wal-Mart was half an hour away.  Lots of creepy, hostile people.  Lots of crumbled old houses and barns.  And I'm told that meth has since ravaged the place many times worse than it was when I lived there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: August 21, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »

The specific place I lived in actually had pretty nice people, which is why it was even more of a shock when the meth lab was found.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 21, 2013, 04:40:11 pm »

I recall stopping at a convenience mart in the middle of nowhere which had been converted into a museum of sorts. The owner walked me around the place, leaning heavily on his cane, talking at great length about every item in the place. When we reached his little alcove devoted to more modern stuff, including his old military uniform and a rather stained bayonet, he went on for close to an hour about the people (my wording, not his--one guess what he said) he killed when he was in Vietnam.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 21, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

For a moment I thought you meant "killing" instead of "people". Was really confused there :P

Murdered? Euthenized? Skoodelepooped? Killed to death? Hellenized?

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »

I feel the combo of school and tumblr is drawing me away from here. 0n0
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:05 am »

They've fired two people this month at work, and they'd both been here for decades. One was a supervisor. Nobody knows why they were fired, but it's pretty clear that there is some shit going down. And starting tomorrow, we're documenting all of our activities, down to the minute, for the entire shift, for the next 2 weeks. I get the feeling that my posts are going to start looking like SalmonGod's used to when it comes to work.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:33 am »

They've fired two people this month at work, and they'd both been here for decades. One was a supervisor. Nobody knows why they were fired, but it's pretty clear that there is some shit going down. And starting tomorrow, we're documenting all of our activities, down to the minute, for the entire shift, for the next 2 weeks. I get the feeling that my posts are going to start looking like SalmonGod's used to when it comes to work.

I hope you don't have to put up with that for several years like I did.  Finally leaving that job felt like breaking out of prison, where not only the guards had it out for me but other inmates did as well, except I didn't know which ones.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4825 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »

Did you know that given you are hooked up to the proper vacuum suction equipment and the like, that it only takes roughly eight seconds to drain all of the blood out of your body completely?

I wonder what that would feel like...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:43 pm »

Have you been watching Firefly?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4827 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »

Did you know that given you are hooked up to the proper vacuum suction equipment and the like, that it only takes roughly eight seconds to drain all of the blood out of your body completely?

I wonder what that would feel like...
Probably would feel like death I imagine.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »

Well. How about being forcefully blown through a quarter-sized hole in a decompression unit simply because of a seal failure? Mind you, this happens near-instantly and all that's left is a fine red paste, but still. People have fit through tiny, tiny holes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »

That is not how pressure differentiation works.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1420