Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964464 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4770 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:48 pm »

I don't like the flawed logic of "I don't know how to explain it, therefore you don't know how to explain it, therefore it's ghosts".
Namely, if someone doesn't know what it is, how can they then know that it's ghosts? Defaulting to assuming it being magic is some stone-age level shit.
I totally agree.  But I also haven't met too many people who actually think that way.  Maybe I'm just good at avoiding certain kinds of stupidity, but I often wonder how others seem to find it so common.
My favourite ghost ghosty thing is when people start talking about "energy." Mainly because it's true.
STUFF IS MOVING
ENERGY DID IT

CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE
ENERGY DID IT

ELECTRICITY IS WORKING
ENERGY DID IT

And it gives you an excuse to shout ECTOPLASMA

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »

Even though I don't really believe in ghosts, I really enjoy discussing them or watching those stupid "ghost hunt" type shows.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »

We get some pretty weird events sometimes at my place.  I think it was three weeks ago I was sitting at my computer and I suddenly heard what sounded exactly like a grown man right next to me was stomping on the floor rapidly as hard as he could for several seconds.
This is why I enjoy living in New York with a cat. Everything can be immediately justified. "Stomping sounds": Stupid upstairs neighbors. "Crash from the other room": Damn it cat. "Demented moaning of a mad-man to the tune of 50s music": Shut up, Steve!*. "Suspiciously shut door": Cat, what're you doing in there?

It's so easy. Don't even need to know where he is, because I can assume he had a hand in it at some point.

*My Next door neighbor really does that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:49 pm »

I do remember when that Ghost Hunters show did an episode covering a place where I worked. Every single thing they freaked out over was something I could instantly identify. I think their entire crew was startled and mystified by the same ice machine dropping more cubes into its reservoir. They're so goofy and fake it's not even funny to watch them stumble around being stupid any more, especially the new ones who don't even bother investigating, instead defaulting to "Weird stuff? OMG ITZ A GOST".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4774 on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:06 pm »

That reminds me of the time when I was little, and I was at my grandparents house in late december, and woke up and heard a rapping noise coming from the basement.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »

That reminds me of the time when I was little, and I was at my grandparents house in late december, and woke up and heard a rapping noise coming from the basement.
I'd be scared if I heard Vanilla Ice coming from my grandparents' basement.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4776 on: August 14, 2013, 04:34:12 pm »

Turns out they were just wrapping christmas presents.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: August 14, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

Turns out they were just wrapping christmas presents.
Your grandparents must've been rather hip. Did they have some pounding bass going on too?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: August 15, 2013, 04:32:46 am »

I had a dream I travelled back in time about 10-14 years.

Can't stop thinking about it.

I was so helpless - I knew what was coming, but there was nothing I could do about it, no way I could actually make use of my knowledge.

The only one I'd be able to convince is myself, maybe my family, but to what end?  - all I'd probably accomplish is insuring I never fell in love with my wife or made half my friends by doing so (all of whom, essentially, would have ceased to exists). I don't know anything of actual value - I'd possess only the ability to screw things up.

I'm still trembling and basically on the verge of tears.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »

I had a dream I travelled back in time about 10-14 years.

Can't stop thinking about it.

I was so helpless - I knew what was coming, but there was nothing I could do about it, no way I could actually make use of my knowledge.

The only one I'd be able to convince is myself, maybe my family, but to what end?  - all I'd probably accomplish is insuring I never fell in love with my wife or made half my friends by doing so (all of whom, essentially, would have ceased to exists). I don't know anything of actual value - I'd possess only the ability to screw things up.

I'm still trembling and basically on the verge of tears.
As much as I hate to be the guy, especially given it's me of all people, perhaps there is something behind that. Once in a blue moon I have relatively coherent, easy to remember dreams that seem have a meaning (Having dreams I can remember at all happens pretty rarely to begin with, and they're usually a hodgepodge of stuff). I remember a a dream i had going into high school, I was trying to cross the street near my apartment with my mom when I had a pain, some great intense pain, that brought me to my knees. The light was about to turn, and I was forced to quickly crawl home or I'd be crushed. That sorta dream seems to be telling you something (I disagreed with the point that dream was trying to make though.) But there have been others, ones with legitimate points too.

But yeah, perhaps that one has some meaning for you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: August 15, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »

Something that's always kind of weirded me out is the way people talk about their brains as if they are separate thing from themselves.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: August 15, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

Generally in that sense they are referring to unconscious and/or involuntary actions taken by the brain, outside of their direct control. This can conceivably be described as a separate consciousness from your own.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: August 15, 2013, 02:32:12 pm »

Generally in that sense they are referring to unconscious and/or involuntary actions taken by the brain, outside of their direct control. This can conceivably be described as a separate consciousness from your own.

Yeah, I get what the meaning is supposed to be.  It's just one of those linguistic quirks that draws my attention every time I see it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »

I actually know pretty much exactly why I had the dream, what caused it and what it signified. Didn't make it end up being any less terrifying, and it sat with me for hours after I woke up too.

I feel like no matter how much I know or what I'm capable of, it won't be enough - because you can't do anything without convincing the right people, and having the right resources to begin with. That the forces that influence and even outright control my life are ultimately outside my control - even if I were to do it all again, knowing what I know now, there's every possibility I'd end up worse off than I was before. I'm terrified, for the first time in my life, of losing what I have. I'm paralyzed by the knowledge that every door I open closes a dozen more, permanently and forever.

My life is not under my control - there is nothing I can do to make the things I want to happen, happen. I can't change the past, and if I could I'd probably end up worse off than I am now, and it's growing increasingly clear that I can't change the future either. Knowledge of opportunities and desires are useless if you don't have the resources and connections to take advantage of them, and I don't, and attempting to do so anyway will only make me lose what I have.

It's terrifying because its true.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »

I actually know pretty much exactly why I had the dream, what caused it and what it signified. Didn't make it end up being any less terrifying, and it sat with me for hours after I woke up too.

I feel like no matter how much I know or what I'm capable of, it won't be enough - because you can't do anything without convincing the right people, and having the right resources to begin with. That the forces that influence and even outright control my life are ultimately outside my control - even if I were to do it all again, knowing what I know now, there's every possibility I'd end up worse off than I was before. I'm terrified, for the first time in my life, of losing what I have. I'm paralyzed by the knowledge that every door I open closes a dozen more, permanently and forever.

My life is not under my control - there is nothing I can do to make the things I want to happen, happen. I can't change the past, and if I could I'd probably end up worse off than I am now, and it's growing increasingly clear that I can't change the future either. Knowledge of opportunities and desires are useless if you don't have the resources and connections to take advantage of them, and I don't, and attempting to do so anyway will only make me lose what I have.

It's terrifying because its true.

pretty much what prompted me to indulge in quality animism

i'm not saying it's the best option available but hey, you kinda get shit done like this. kinda. gotta deal with the ethical dilemmas regarding how you utilize knowledge your average citizen has little in the ways of a reason or a way to acquire, but if you're into that sort of stuff and find a good partner or dozen?

i'm fairly sure i'd get nowhere with actual wizardry if i hadn't gotten this part covered though, so good luck have fun
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1420