Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964220 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #495 on: January 07, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

Holy s**t. This article scared me oh so much how am i going to sleep oh gog no

Not for the faint of heart, and it's NSFW, but not in a sexual way.

:-X
You want scary, heres something scary
http://www.donlinke.com/drakula/vlad.htm
Behold Vlad the Impaler

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 07, 2012, 11:17:40 am »

He's not that scary!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 07, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42204.msg2886124#msg2886124

They made it come true, and I failed.... My cat avatar might not save me from it.
Ach, and now I feel terrible. I forgot to draw the mighty paw of justice looming above its upturned snout.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 07, 2012, 03:38:48 pm »

Co-worker talked about how he could put his body on auto-pilot and otherwise be comatose through the work day.

The very notion of people wishing their lives away like that is disturbing to me on multiple levels... and it's so common.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 07, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Co-worker talked about how he could put his body on auto-pilot and otherwise be comatose through the work day.

The very notion of people wishing their lives away like that is disturbing to me on multiple levels... and it's so common.
been there done that, bonus when you are in a argument

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 07, 2012, 03:44:12 pm »

I can put my body on autopilot, you pretty much have to when you're running for an hour or two at a time. The key there is to keep thinking, though. Whether it be about how you're running (as in a race) or about philosophy or politics (as in a practice), there's no reason not to do so.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 07, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »

I can put my body on autopilot, you pretty much have to when you're running for an hour or two at a time. The key there is to keep thinking, though. Whether it be about how you're running (as in a race) or about philosophy or politics (as in a practice), there's no reason not to do so.

And that's not the same as what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about people who talk about work, school, time with family they don't like, etc, and say "I wish I could just skip this entire experience."  No thinking.  Nothing.  Just go completely blank until it's over and then snap out of it.  Basically people wishing they could do what Adam Sandler did in that corny movie Click.

Even if there's no way to make an experience pleasant or of very much value, it's still... your time... you only get so much.  When you wish your time away, you're literally wishing to skip closer to your own end.  I'm basically convinced that the majority of people don't truly value their own lives.  They just want to fast forward through the highlight reel and be done with it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 07, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »

Reminds me of this story.

Yes.  This grasps so much of it.  Thank you.  I'll be showing this to a lot of people.  This is what a true horror story is to me.  It stabs at the very nature of our being. 

The worst part is I worry about being like Sean's dad.  My work day is a dire existential struggle to stay switched on.  I soak up non-work related information obsessively, of any kind, and blare music directly into my head when I can't do that.  When I get home, I'm exhausted from the strain of fighting to keep myself from slipping away, and all I want to do is switch off.  Not completely.  I'm drawn to things like action games that hold my attention, but don't require actual thought.  I just can't bring myself to be 100% switched on.  I end up feeling like I'm failing everybody, including myself.  It's a hard balance to strike.  Work takes so much time.  I don't want to spend it all in a zombie state... but it takes so much effort to fend that off, and then everything else suffers.

It's hard to even express in a way that feels like it does justice to the issue.  I think this is a desperately important topic that modern culture isn't doing enough to try and process.  What it means to live, and why... and just how our modern ways of living succeed or fail in allowing us to do so.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »

Whenever I'm on a train, I fall into a state of just-above-sleep, so that I wake up enough to see what station i'm at before dozing. I can switch off whenever I want, but generally I prefer to be as alert as possible.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 07, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »

I'm a chronic daydreamer. Don't put me behind the wheel of car, because I'll go off into outer space and smash into a mailbox or something.

I know because I had 5 minor accidents in the span of about 8 months after I got my drivers license (one of which was, indeed, a mailbox). Since then I avoid driving as much as possible.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 07, 2012, 09:33:28 pm »

:-X

This comment is actually quite a good quote:
"Things might be bad right now, but at least I'll probably never have to worry about being anally impaled!"
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »

I have an odd feeling in my anus now.

you dick.
lolwut?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:28 am »

This comment is actually quite a good quote:

Oh lemme-

"Things might be bad right now, but at least I'll probably never have to worry about being anally impaled!"

What.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2012, 02:19:23 am »

I'm a chronic daydreamer. Don't put me behind the wheel of car, because I'll go off into outer space and smash into a mailbox or something.

I know because I had 5 minor accidents in the span of about 8 months after I got my drivers license (one of which was, indeed, a mailbox). Since then I avoid driving as much as possible.
I'm a pretty chronic day-dreamer, but I'm so mortally terrified of anything bad happening when I'm in the car that my mind is about as focused as it gets.

Pretty much, the moment anything goes bad when I'm in the car (stalled at the lights, messed up a gear-change, forgot to do some sort of check), I turn into an apologetic wreck. I'm so high-strung when driving!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1420