Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965749 times)

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »

You let your copypasta on the cooker too long. It's burned.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2011, 06:25:53 pm »

Here's my scary account. I was on vacation with my family in one of America's most crime-filled cities (Not going to name it here out of respect). It was really late, 11:00 PM, and we had been unsuccessfully hailing a cab when out of nowhere, this stranger came with a gun and politely asked us for our money. Of course, I was only 7 at that time, so I had long since crapped my pants, probably before the mugger came. Anyway, my dad was nervously fishing out the money from his wallet when there was some kind of rustling of fabric and this shadow resembling a man draped over the mugger and then the mugger rose into the air and was gone. Needless to say this scared me even more than the mugger did.

That was  13 years ago. Now I can still recall everything in fine detail, especially the fact that the shadow had pointy ears. I still believe to this day that the shadow was a demon sent to claim the mugger to hell.

I don't believe it. That's the honest way to put it.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2011, 06:32:41 pm »

The actual story, the Dunwitch Horror. Goatish goatee goatishly.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2011, 06:37:09 pm »

I don't believe it. That's the honest way to put it.
Psst; I think he's joking.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:44:52 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »

You know what's suddenly very terrifying and very real to me now? The world is huge. I'm starting to apply for colleges and plan for what I'm going to do after high school, and it just seems so daunting. All my life I've lived in a town of under 5,000 people, and I know everyone at my school. I've always known that college would be a huge change, but all of a sudden it's hitting me in the face. I was reading about the University of Washington, and I was absolutely shocked to hear that, though they describe themselves as a mid-size school, they have a student body of almost 50,000 students. That means that the number of students going to the same school as me would increase by over 10000%. My friends are probably going to scatter all over the country, and I'll probably only keep one friend going into college. I've never lived in a big city before, and suddenly I'll have to do so for another three or four years.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »

I was reading about the University of Washington, and I was absolutely shocked to hear that, though they describe themselves as a mid-size school, they have a student body of almost 50,000 students. That means that the number of students going to the same school as me would increase by over 10000%.

That is by no definition a mid-sized college, they're spinning it like an ADD ice-skater.  I'm at a school with ~30,000, which is considered pretty large, although certainly there are larger.

Big universities aren't so bad, though; they usually have a lot of smaller communities and groups that you'd be likely more comfortable in, and there's always more people to meet, when you start to get used to the idea.  Just don't go hog-wild with the beer, sex, and drugs, I've seen too many people from small towns screw themselves up big that way...scholarships blown first semester, etc.

KG

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »

Damnit Barbar, you always have the same problems as me but then beat me to them. I'm looking at going to college out of state, seeing the diaspora of my friends, and figuring out some sort of optimal money setup for actually paying for college. This is on top of other worries that I've already complained about around here. The only things making this less terror filled are that a) I know this is the right college for me, b) I'd get to be an RA, c) my heart surgeon uncle lives nearby and offered all the help I can take, and d) there is a campus in Spain that I could do a year at, which is my dream. It's a golden opportunity, but it is still nerve wracking.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »

Even after seeing the DF intro several hundred times, it still scares the shit outta me.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:51 pm »

Damnit Barbar, you always have the same problems as me but then beat me to them. I'm looking at going to college out of state, seeing the diaspora of my friends, and figuring out some sort of optimal money setup for actually paying for college. This is on top of other worries that I've already complained about around here. The only things making this less terror filled are that a) I know this is the right college for me, b) I'd get to be an RA, c) my heart surgeon uncle lives nearby and offered all the help I can take, and d) there is a campus in Spain that I could do a year at, which is my dream. It's a golden opportunity, but it is still nerve wracking.
I thought originally that I'd just go to UW and that'd be the end of it. Suddenly my mailbox was flooded with mail from Ivy League colleges, Berkeley, Stanford, M.I.T. .... I don't know what I'm going to do. I didn't know that I was such a popular commodity, but I guess it'll depend on whether or not I can pay for it. That's the other terrifying thing. I've been frantically searching for scholarships to help me pay for college, because I have no job and no parental help coming my way. I'm probably not going to an Ivy League college simply because they cost $40,000 a year and they only hand out a couple full rides per year. Of course, I'm not too disappointed. I've never been a big fan of the snooty intellectualism over there. Pretty much my entire family lives within 100 miles of where I am now, so while I want to get away for a while, no matter where I go I'll be fending for myself. I'm taking a trip all up and down the west coast this coming summer to look at half a dozen colleges, but in the meantime I've been trying to do whatever I can to prepare for college. No matter what I do, though, I barely make progress. I'll manage though, I always find a way somehow.

Just don't go hog-wild with the beer, sex, and drugs, I've seen too many people from small towns screw themselves up big that way...scholarships blown first semester, etc.
You know me, the party animal that I am. Thanks for the advice, though I mainly plan on getting edjoomuckated, not wasted.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:41 pm »

Depending on what field you want to go into, UW looks as good or better on a resume than Ivy League schools.  You'll probably survive with more of your sanity intact than if you went to Miskatonic Massachusetts Institute of Technology too.  (But if you can swing MIT financially and sanity-wise, by all means do it!)

...I miss the UW.  :<
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »

dude come over to CU, our tuition (while ridiculously for out of state) is cheap and our aeronautics engineering programs are much better than MIT. Hell you can actually work on instruments for NASA, work with engineers from Ball Corp. or Lockheed Martin.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:23:12 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:42 pm »

Just don't go hog-wild with the beer, sex, and drugs, I've seen too many people from small towns screw themselves up big that way...scholarships blown first semester, etc.
You know me, the party animal that I am. Thanks for the advice, though I mainly plan on getting edjoomuckated, not wasted.

No offense intended, just trying to say I've seen it a lot and it really sucks. 

KG

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »

I thought originally that I'd just go to UW and that'd be the end of it. Suddenly my mailbox was flooded with mail from Ivy League colleges, Berkeley, Stanford, M.I.T. .... I don't know what I'm going to do. I didn't know that I was such a popular commodity, but I guess it'll depend on whether or not I can pay for it. That's the other terrifying thing. I've been frantically searching for scholarships to help me pay for college, because I have no job and no parental help coming my way. I'm probably not going to an Ivy League college simply because they cost $40,000 a year and they only hand out a couple full rides per year. Of course, I'm not too disappointed. I've never been a big fan of the snooty intellectualism over there. Pretty much my entire family lives within 100 miles of where I am now, so while I want to get away for a while, no matter where I go I'll be fending for myself. I'm taking a trip all up and down the west coast this coming summer to look at half a dozen colleges, but in the meantime I've been trying to do whatever I can to prepare for college. No matter what I do, though, I barely make progress. I'll manage though, I always find a way somehow.

I'm getting interest from Duke and Yale, but I'm not holding out for either of them given my financial situation. But yeah, I'm growing up a nice, straightlaced lad, and I am actually terrified of this party scene that people associate with college. I'm going to become an architect, not watch the people I'm forced to live with get drunk and make poor decisions.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:30 pm »

The UW really doesn't have a big party atmosphere in the dorms, for what it's worth.  Don't think I ever saw underage drinking or pot in the dorms (though I wasn't looking), and while the three-person dorms got kind of crazy and loud with their constant Halo parties, most of the rest of the campus was pretty good.  Hell it's not hard to get onto dedicated quiet floors.  And the single rooms are not going to give you any trouble, either.

I mean if you want to join a frat, that's your business, but I think if you stay in the dorms at any college you'll be fine.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 1420