Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Partial Skeletons  (Read 5904 times)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Partial Skeletons
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:12 am »

Looks like I will have to wait and see if they will decay into bones outside.

Anyone have information on my side question? Will I be asked Baron next time if my leader spoke with liaison before trade last time? Or do I have to lock leader up this time?

If you want to be promoted to Baron on the liasons second visit, you will have to do the delay trick until the caravan leaves.
If you don't care then on his third visit he will offer you the Barony regardless of whether the caravan has left or not.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »

Looks like I will have to wait and see if they will decay into bones outside.

Anyone have information on my side question? Will I be asked Baron next time if my leader spoke with liaison before trade last time? Or do I have to lock leader up this time?

If you want to be promoted to Baron on the liasons second visit, you will have to do the delay trick until the caravan leaves.
If you don't care then on his third visit he will offer you the Barony regardless of whether the caravan has left or not.

I 'think' this has been fixed in .18. I didn't have any issues getting baron > county > king.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 12:31:17 pm »

Yeah, but you wont get Barony on the second visit because the trade doesnt count until the caravan has gone. So to get it early you will have to keep him waiting as usual (unless you somehow managed to get a lot of trading done on the first visit before the first wave of migrants which is possible but unlikely in most forts.)

That way you can go all the way to Duke before the Queen arrives.

In my current fort I never tried to keep him waiting early on so only got to Count before becomming the capital.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:36:00 pm by Sir Crashalot »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »

Won't you get a skull anyway if the head comes off and rots separately though?

No...

I have this bane in my fort as well. I have a mountain of partial skeletons, arms, heads, and they are useless.
They will NEVER turn into bones no mater HOW long you let them stay there.  The worst part about it is that because "intelligant" races arn't butchered, perfectly good goblin corpses will pile up as well.  No more goblin bone items or goblin totems.  I remember bones being an almost unlimited resource, now I have to ration what few bones I get these days.

Untill Toady changes this or someone makes a mod that alows them to decay, bones have become a rare thing in DF now.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »

There seems to be a certain parameter for bones of senients to be made...
There is much !!SCIENCE!! to be had here.

EDIT: I was making a fort where I dropped people down a hole, and it took about 2 seasons for this to happen but looky here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However strangely it went to corpse, to rotten, to just normal to bones.
So yes, bones can be made, and bone crafts can be made from Urist McSpelunker.
But maybe it only happens to the main body, and not the rest, and needs to be seperated for it to happen.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:32:52 pm by Urist McUristy »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »

I've butchered partial skeletons by ordering the dwarfs to gather refuse from outside after I noticed a bunch of elk corpses not being brought in. Some of them were partial skeletons, if I remember right. If it wasn't the elks than it was the remains of a group of rhesus macaques.

No problem with that, since they're wild animals that dwarves will happily butcher anyways. If you butcher them before they rot you also get the skin/meat/fat in addition to the bones. They will decay to a skeleton or partial skeleton, but the skeleton or partial skeleton is not usable as bones.

For other creatures that dwarves will not butcher, such as a dwarf corpse because Urist fell into a lake and drowned, the corpse never seems to decay into separate bones and a skull, at least so far as I've noticed, and I have left a corpse sit around for decades of fortress time.

But I'm sure I had partial skeletons and mangled corpses at some point. Does the partial skeleton thing apply to wildlife as well?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

Yes, wildlife can turn into corpses, skeletons, mangled skeletons, or partial skeletons.

The key is what kind of entity it belongs to. If it belongs to the wildlife "civilization" then its free game for butchering, fresh or stale. No dwarf will touch it while its rotting, but after it rots it'll still be butchered and the corpse taken apart.

If its goblins, by default dwarves will not butcher them. If you change the civ ethics to allow eating sentients then they will happily butcher goblins. Fresh goblin corpses give meat and leather, old goblin corpses just give bone. Rotting goblin corpses are ignored until they rot away entirely to partial skeletons, at which point the skeleton is hauled to a butcher workshop and taken apart.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:14 pm »

EDIT: I was making a fort where I dropped people down a hole, and it took about 2 seasons for this to happen but looky here.
But maybe it only happens to the main body, and not the rest, and needs to be seperated for it to happen.

Was that a dwarf baby or child?

While you can butcher dwarves of your own civilization, this can only be done if they go berserk, though you can't eat them. I usually get around 20ish bones from the dwarf, depending on the size of the dwarf. An adult gets about 20 though. The meat bits are brought to the graveyard where they rot, and the dwarf skull, bones, and fat (which does not rot strangely enough) can be put into a coffin.

Just did an arena test. Dwarf 1 was slain by a whip to the brain, and when butchered produced a stack of 22 bones.

I'm curious what the size of your dwarves are that are giving you only 6 bones.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 12:05:23 am »

Was that a dwarf baby or child?

While you can butcher dwarves of your own civilization, this can only be done if they go berserk, though you can't eat them. I usually get around 20ish bones from the dwarf, depending on the size of the dwarf. An adult gets about 20 though. The meat bits are brought to the graveyard where they rot, and the dwarf skull, bones, and fat (which does not rot strangely enough) can be put into a coffin.

Just did an arena test. Dwarf 1 was slain by a whip to the brain, and when butchered produced a stack of 22 bones.

I'm curious what the size of your dwarves are that are giving you only 6 bones.
Normal size, but for some reason only the chest turns into bones.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 01:12:19 am »

Yes, wildlife can turn into corpses, skeletons, mangled skeletons, or partial skeletons.

The key is what kind of entity it belongs to. If it belongs to the wildlife "civilization" then its free game for butchering, fresh or stale. No dwarf will touch it while its rotting, but after it rots it'll still be butchered and the corpse taken apart.

If its goblins, by default dwarves will not butcher them. If you change the civ ethics to allow eating sentients then they will happily butcher goblins. Fresh goblin corpses give meat and leather, old goblin corpses just give bone. Rotting goblin corpses are ignored until they rot away entirely to partial skeletons, at which point the skeleton is hauled to a butcher workshop and taken apart.
The partial skeleton actually decays into bones and skulls, etc. If you think otherwise, you better go edit the wiki article on rotting.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 02:00:40 am »

My only addition is that a moody dwarf has just made a donkey bone bed (all other materials have vanished) but I did look, and human bone was one of the ingredients. 

Someone's arm, I think - would make for an interesting night's sleep...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 04:27:59 am »

In my experience, separated body parts don't decay straight to bone - they, oddly enough, decay to "left upper leg" and "head" with their names indistinguishable from their original state. Odd, that.
Butchering (in the case of butcherable ones) just gives bones, though. As I recall.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 05:59:24 am »

While I highly doubt any of my unmodded, vanilla dorfs butchered it themselves, I can remember a .16 artifact containing goblin bone. No idea how that happened. *shrugs*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:41 am »

While I highly doubt any of my unmodded, vanilla dorfs butchered it themselves, I can remember a .16 artifact containing goblin bone. No idea how that happened. *shrugs*
Macabre mood.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:56 am »

Macabre mood.
Oh, right, forgot that! When they get a macabre mood, is it explicitly stated in-game, or do we guess it by whatever material the dorf decided to use?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3