Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Partial Skeletons  (Read 5905 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Partial Skeletons
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »

Starting to get a nice collection of partial skeletons of trogs and kobolds... any uses for them? Since you can not butcher their bones!

Side Question: If I have all requirements for Baron, do I have to let caravan leave 1st? Or can I get asked the next year?

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Partial Skeletons
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

I had a partial skeleton be used for a mood once, and another time had one turn into a stack of dwarf bones.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »

It decayed finally to craftable bones? Outside or in?

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »

They will eventually decay into useable bones, but it takes a long time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »

Please stop spreading false information.

Have you ever personally witnessed a skeleton decay into usable bones or skulls?

I have never, ever seen this happen. My fortresses tend to last at least 50+ years as well.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

I have seen my dwarves (unmodded) make goblin bone bolts, but they may have made them out of an arm or something.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »

Looks like I will have to wait and see if they will decay into bones outside.

Anyone have information on my side question? Will I be asked Baron next time if my leader spoke with liaison before trade last time? Or do I have to lock leader up this time?

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:50:08 pm »

Have you ever personally witnessed a skeleton decay into usable bones or skulls?

I have never, ever seen this happen. My fortresses tend to last at least 50+ years as well.
Why yes, I have. I have had goblin skull totems in my stockpile before, and I don't think my dwarfs butchered a goblin.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:52:13 pm »

Why yes, I have. I have had goblin skull totems in my stockpile before, and I don't think my dwarfs butchered a goblin.

Did you mod civ ethics to allow butchery of sentients? If so then they will happily butcher goblins. If fresh then you get goblin meat/tallow/leather. If its a goblin skeleton, then you just get bones and a skull.

If your butchers don't touch the corpse then it will never decay. I've had corpses at the bottom of ponds or walled up for decades, but they never turned into separate bones.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

My stack of dwarf bones happened when a miner fell about 40 z-levels down a shaft to be used in a pump stack, and he exploded.

I didn't make a tomb fast enough, and found <dwarfname>'s bones [6] a few months later.

Test by throwing goblins down a forty-level shaft, near magma, i a cavern, and having their head fly off to another, lower level.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »

snippity

snippity
snip

Did you mod civ ethics to allow butchery of sentients? If so then they will happily butcher goblins. If fresh then you get goblin meat/tallow/leather. If its a goblin skeleton, then you just get bones and a skull.

If your butchers don't touch the corpse then it will never decay. I've had corpses at the bottom of ponds or walled up for decades, but they never turned into separate bones.
I keep my game unmodded, totally vanilla.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »

With an unmodded game, I've got goblin bone crossbows and bolts. I've watched a bonecarver and a boywer drag partial goblin skeletons out of the deadpile. And at the same fort, I've had job cancellations for bone products when plenty of partial skeletons are around.

So it can happen, but I still can't figure out the conditions for it.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

I've butchered partial skeletons by ordering the dwarfs to gather refuse from outside after I noticed a bunch of elk corpses not being brought in. Some of them were partial skeletons, if I remember right. If it wasn't the elks than it was the remains of a group of rhesus macaques.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:19 am »

I've butchered partial skeletons by ordering the dwarfs to gather refuse from outside after I noticed a bunch of elk corpses not being brought in. Some of them were partial skeletons, if I remember right. If it wasn't the elks than it was the remains of a group of rhesus macaques.

No problem with that, since they're wild animals that dwarves will happily butcher anyways. If you butcher them before they rot you also get the skin/meat/fat in addition to the bones. They will decay to a skeleton or partial skeleton, but the skeleton or partial skeleton is not usable as bones.

For other creatures that dwarves will not butcher, such as a dwarf corpse because Urist fell into a lake and drowned, the corpse never seems to decay into separate bones and a skull, at least so far as I've noticed, and I have left a corpse sit around for decades of fortress time.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:39:39 am »

Won't you get a skull anyway if the head comes off and rots separately though?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: [1] 2 3