Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Does Adamantine Glow?  (Read 7154 times)

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
Re: Does Adamantine Glow?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:23 pm »

If admantine did glow I would never use it as armor.

Imagine wearing glowing armor into battle, or even worse in guerilla warfare. Yeeeeeah.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:36:03 pm »

Who in this thread has gone
APESHIT
?

As far as I can tell, I'm probably the most vitrolic person in this thread, and nowhere do I attack the OP's intellect, just his statements. There was a lot of incredulity, but I've also spent the morning explaining the science behind climate change to conservatives so I'm afraid the mood of that carried over to here. I'm really exhausted by the way a lot of people make assumptions and logical leaps with way too much ease.

APESHIT
would be if there were personal attacks on the OP's brain size, lucidity, genital size, use of drugs, mother's sexual proclivities, etc. No one here has done that. I would say people reacted strongly, but words like
APESHIT
lose their power if you throw them around willy-nilly, you know?
I didn't say you were personally insulting him, merely that you were overreacting to the situation. Perhaps typing APESHIT in all caps was a bit of an exaggeration.

That said, your response seems perfectly reasonable given your justification for being in a bad mood. Sorry 'bout that.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:56 pm »

Imagine wearing glowing armor into battle, or even worse in guerilla warfare. Yeeeeeah.

But your dwarves would look FABULOUS!!!
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »

Why has no-one mentioned Wolverine, he had Adamantium (close enough) bonded to his skeleton, which didn't glow, looked more like mercury.
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »

But your dwarves would look FABULOUS!!!
They would be all sparkalay!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »

It doesn't glow.  It sparkles.  Like vampire skin in the sunlight.

*promptly runs off to end himself for making this post*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:32 am »

This thread is hilarious, please do go on!

It reminds me something, though:
"What else floats in water? Bread. Apples. Very small rocks. Lead! A duck! ... Exactly. So logically... if she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood ... and therefore... a witch!"
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 06:07:22 am »

In real life, a mineral's lustre (read: shininess) is categorised by geologists into several grades, the most brilliant and shiny being 'adamantine' grade. While not necessarily related to Toady One's intentions, the historical use is there.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 06:56:34 am »

Mithril connection: Why? Why not connect adamantine instead to uses of the word adamantine in mythology? The Greek Titan Cronus castrated his father with an adamant sickle. Perseus used an adamantine sword to kill Medusa. Hell, even in modern culture there are uses of the word 'adamantine' as a substance, not just as a quality. Look at Paradise Lost, for instance.

Toady's stated before that he strongly considered calling adamantine mithril.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 08:10:08 am »

Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 09:19:32 am »

Mithril connection: Why? Why not connect adamantine instead to uses of the word adamantine in mythology? The Greek Titan Cronus castrated his father with an adamant sickle. Perseus used an adamantine sword to kill Medusa. Hell, even in modern culture there are uses of the word 'adamantine' as a substance, not just as a quality. Look at Paradise Lost, for instance.

Toady's stated before that he strongly considered calling adamantine mithril.

Mithril doesn't glow in Lord Of The Rings, it's just light as a feather & incredibly strong. Sting glows when enemies are near, afaik anyway, haven't read the books in quite a while though.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 10:26:35 am »

I think Sting glows only when orcs(including those orc/goblin crossbreeds Sarumon made) are near. If I remember correctly, Sting didn't glow in The Hobbit when Bilbo fought those spiders(?) in the forest.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 10:38:10 am »

Yeah, that's right, told you I hadn't read it in a while :p
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »

It was a blade that had been forged for wars with orcs/goblins, and designed to react specifically to their presence.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 12:56:25 pm »

My post was intended to clarify the connection between adamantine and mithril, nothing more.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5