Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water in a glacier  (Read 1977 times)

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
water in a glacier
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:57 am »

so yeah, I really need water
after breaching all the cavern layers, there is still no water.
and after a rampaging cave croc killed almost everyone, dwarves have become not expendable
no one is wounded now but I would like to utilize my tiny danger room so that I have one decent soldier
problem is:
any minor injury will send him to the hospital with no water source
I simply do not have the means to pump magma from the sea (five dwarves left after two migration waves v_v)

what do?
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: water in a glacier
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:48:19 am »

I've heard that caving in natural ice walls ten or fifteen z-levels will melt them into water, but as far as I know this is unverified

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:55:19 am »

IIIIIIIIIII
-----------
MMMMMM

Caving in a layer of ice above a layer of magma (With a floor in the way to stop the obsidian reaction) will make water, as the heat from the magma melts ice.

You could also mod in a rock with reletivly high forced temp, and put it outside.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:41 am »

so I have to either
a)pump magma up to the ice
b)drop the ice down to the magma(almost)
c)mod in a new rock

well, I have 5 dwarves and 5 picks...
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:04:21 am »

Are you sure none of the caverns have water?
Most of them are still heavily obscured after reveal.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:07:35 am »

I'm fairly sure because I've seen a lot of them
if there is water somewhere, I don't have the military to get there and connect it to the fort.
-TerrisH

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:14 am »

thanks to a large migrant wave I gained a bunch of dorfs
sadly many dorf scientists died to bring you this information

a drop of about 2 z-levels is more than sufficient to get water so lang as it lands indoors(otherwise the whole thing turns back into ice)
-TerrisH

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »

You need to cave it in down to rock levels, regardless of how high that may be.  You may have already seen, digging staircases at the ice/rock boundary is kind of fruity, but that's the tricky part.  If you drop ice onto more ice then it won't melt.

You don't really have to expose your dwarves to go get cavern water, if you actually have some down there; as long as the water is connected to the map edge, then it should be infinite.  You can dig a tunnel to carry the water to whatever point on your map you want it and build your well there.  It's a good idea to construct floor on the water passage though, to keep trees from growing in it.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:44 pm »

I risked my dwarves exploring the cavern to find...no water
none
zippo

eventually I abandoned the fortress because dropping ice is just a weird way to get water and this map's resources aren't conducive to a magma pump stack
no idea how I would have powered it even if I did get all the magma safe parts.

I like this world though

so now I'm in a terrifying desert

a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now
-TerrisH

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »

Yeah make a pit under the glacier then drop a large chunk of it into the pit and = instant lake.Has to be deep enough to melt though.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:11:55 pm »

So... I have a volcano on a glacial map, the lava doesn't seem to affect the ice at start even with it being next to it.  My guess is once I have it moving it will melt the Ice. So any Ideas on creating a system to melt and store the water efficiently.

Just revealed, I have 2 magma pipes. One is a volcano, second ends in the first cavern 10z down... lots of magma to play with...  Ice is only 1 layer thick, not much water to play with, no underground water...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:19:02 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »

Since you have magma, you'll want to use that, but you don't actualy need to slay everyone underground to get yourself some delishus underground water, just channel down a hole above an underground body of water, and make a well.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:15 pm »

Ok, water refreezes quickly. need to make a "heated" path to the holding tanks. I'm not sure how I'll be getting my farms up.  Btw, I'm not OP, I doubt he has volcano-ism going for him.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:10:14 pm »

Water will not refreeze if it is underground, so there's no need for a heated cooling tank.
(But keep in mind that that would be totally dwarven and such.)