Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance  (Read 26242 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2012, 05:43:56 pm »

Going into materials, what about making living bone stronger? The material data found online are for dead bones which are more brittle than what they'd be in the body.  I see a problem with Living Bone getting used for crafts, and being animated into a skeleton, but there are a couple of solutions.  First living bone could have all the tokens which make it usable for crafts, weapons, or anything removed, and it could be given a reaction class, and EBO or Butcher special to give dead bones on butchering.  Second it can be given rot tokens, so that if a creature is not butchered it doesn't leave a skeleton.  And It can even be given a "Hardens with Water" Reaction to turn it into Fossil Bone if left underwater.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

I'm curious to see what would happen if my ABS your RTR and Nihilist's BSP got all merged into one "DF realism mod" making DF just a little bit more intense
I like added realism too. This may be a little offtopic but... To the Genesis mod, I have added more tree species and three classes of wood:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And my own tissue bleeding and pain-fainting rebalance. Been planning to use a separate bone material for skull bone, to account for its thickness compared to minor bones.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:26:20 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:37 am »

Greetings.
I has been far too long since I had time to fiddle around with this rebalance (or do anything DF related) due to my studies. Because of that I officially give permission to anybody to include this rebalance in his/her mode and to modify it further. I only ask a single line in credits.
Enjoy,
SanDiego.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:54 am »

*le gasp!* It lives!

Best of luck with the studies!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »

So... with this rebalance, how many crossbow bolts in a goblin torso, to make goblin stop walking and start fainting or bleeding to death. Someone needs to do !!SCIENCE!!! on death by crossbow bolts.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

one thing I've noticed is that gonlins especially will suffer a few extremely painful wounds from archers that cause them to go through several rounds of passing out and waking up, and they will never bleed to death, but manage to crawl/walk off the map within a few days if they aren't directly dispatched.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:18 am »

If the bolt stays in that's not to far of a stretch really...all depending on whats hit of course and what not.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2012, 07:27:33 am »

Someone call Deon! ;)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2012, 10:01:43 am »

*le gasp!* It lives!

Best of luck with the studies!
So... with this rebalance, how many crossbow bolts in a goblin torso, to make goblin stop walking and start fainting or bleeding to death. Someone needs to do !!SCIENCE!!! on death by crossbow bolts.
Actually, there's a case report of an australian guy who shot himself with crossbow in his chest and survived a 7-hour transport and the surgery after that. For more details visit here: http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/72/6/2106 (Warning! Explicit images of serious wound!)
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:36 pm »

Aaaand here goes version 0.6! Changelog:

Made shell thicker and non-regenerative, gave ivory the same improvements I gave to teeth (i.e. nociception and vascularisation), made nervous tissue [TISSUE_SHAPE] STRANDS rather than LAYER, will see how this works out.

Could someone with playful nature examine whether nervous structures (most notably spine and nerves) behave differently now?

I haven't seen this pointed out before, and a search turned up nothing, so I figure I'll raise this topic from the dead for a moment to share.
It seems that [TISSUE_SHAPE:STRANDS] on nervous tissue makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to bisect or sever the head of an enemy.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »

I think one of my least favorite parts of Vanilla's tissue balance is that you can be a mace hero and shatter a wildlife's skull 15 times, and the wildlife doesn't die. Because skull is just a bone, attached to the head.
I'm currently failing at making a new skullbone tissue (maybe 4 thickness instead of regular bone's 2) which would have higher vascular and pain than regular bone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:27 pm »

Im going to correct you here, i saw that you made the brain more sensitive to pain. Though, in reality, the brain has no nerves, which means no pain (though your smashed skull would hurt anyway, if you wernt dead). Anyway, be sure to change that, and thanks for this!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:03 am »

Im going to correct you here, i saw that you made the brain more sensitive to pain. Though, in reality, the brain has no nerves, which means no pain (though your smashed skull would hurt anyway, if you wernt dead). Anyway, be sure to change that, and thanks for this!

Read the topic. That segment simulates the meninges, which certainly do feel pain.

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »

Reading the whole topic pay its price...

Anyway, in 31.xx, i got a dorf that got hit too hard on the head (blame nobles and their will to kill everyone that doesn't craft them an adamantine earring... Meh) and got his brain bruised, he just walked around like he was crazy, but never got any work done... Dunno if bug or what, but he acted like he was in a semi-vegetative state, probably drooling around the meeting hall.

Another time i had a crazy soldier who got his lower spine damaged and still fought better with his spear than half my army. Damned bastard took down a giant and a FB with 2-3 blows... Took hell long to crawl to battle, but when he was there... BAM!

About the blood loss, it's weird, i have sometimes problem with it, like people dieing from little cuts and others surviving from heavy bleeding. Maybe dwarfs get IV Booze to fill up the tank =P

BTW, great job, it's nice to see some ppl really share their knowledge!

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2012, 09:13:49 am »

Won't continue the work he said. Doesn't have time he said. Guess he was wrong.

So, I found myself with surplus of free time; undisturbed by worldy things (like Diablo III). I used that time to port my little mod to DF 0.34.11 and add another update for you. What update? Curing the Bitey Syndrome.

"But what is Bitey Syndrome?" you ask. Let me tell you. It's called after the best know symptome - yes, I'm talking about the goblin from (in)famous Deathgate. What did I do? This:

And this is how far he got:

Basically, every creature from creature_standard (where applicable - Bronze Collosi, Griemelings and such are of course exception from this) now has major arteries in upper arms and upper legs. Basically, anything humanoid - with the exception of animalmen. I have reasons why normal, quadruped animals do not posses theese. And that reason isn't "I was lazy", quadrupeds have their major arteries placed much more deeply than humanoids and any trauma to them would be equal to severing them in two. Enjoy your bleeding, here goes the link!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3473

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10