Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is it just me or is 3.18 EXTREMELY buggy  (Read 3219 times)

JustinP231

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is 3.18 EXTREMELY buggy
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:12 pm »

For the most part I've had almost no problems with it. Only crashes I've come across were last night when I generated a 20-100 volcanism world and tried to start a game in it. Oddly enough another world with the same parameters worked fine, but crashed on embark when I found a volcano I liked (in the middle of a glacier).

I don't have much trouble with the freezing/thawing, myself. For some reason the maps I embark on tend to have a good amount of an ocean that freezes over during winter, and I only really lag when it thaws (though at that time I freeze for a good five to ten minutes).

As an interesting anecdote, when I found a glacier-volcano I could embark on in that second world for some reason the lava just all spilled away into the depths, never to be seen again. I think I might've angered Armok...
Last week I found a bridge that ended short of a river crossing, effectively making it useless.

Name of the bridge? The Bridge of Swimming. Cheeky bastards those humans.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 04:05:41 pm »

I get program lag (screen goes grey and (not responding) appears in the corner). Generally it would come back after a few minutes and the game would be fine, I just had my first crash though (well it was not responding for 15 minutes so I am calling it a crash). FPS is fine, this is not lag in that sense.

I am also using phoebus 18v00... although I that shouldn't impact anything (weird that other people using that pack are having issues though). Also I am using a save game from .17.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:46 pm »

The only game crashes I've had were when selecting really large embark sites, and when trying to load my save from the Mac version in the windows version.

I suffer a fps drop when maps unthaw (when they thaw I feel far less of a hit)
What is the difference between unthaw and thaw? My dictionary says they both refer to when an object changes from a solid to a liquid as a result of warming.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »

Yeah personally im getting little crashes, but i've gotten then, on the other hand-- Sparring works! 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 10:35:31 am »

It might be related to using graphics sets - I was using mayday for 31.16.  I redownloaded barebones DF and so far no problems.  So there's that.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 12:28:28 pm »

Using vanilla, and I've gotten perhaps 5 crashes so far in .18 using Ubuntu.

I have no idea what caused them, but I now paranoid-save every few game months (loosing a year of progress, naming dwarves, and setting jobs annoys me). This is different than .17, where I new what bug caused the crash, and different than .16, which gave me no crashes whatsoever.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

I have frequent frame spikes, but never related to the thaw/freezing of the river.

It's mostly stable otherwise, outstanding, non-crashy bugs notwithstanding.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »

How many of you guys are in temperate biomes?
I embarked in a temperate zone in 3.17 and it lagged like hell.
Warm zones seem to be OK. In fact, I get a steady 87 FPS(Even with the ocean!)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 12:39:31 am »

I realized I must have been playing 31.16 for past days >.<
I've been using Maydays tileset and was just playing with it's .exe. But, is there a way that I can still use the tileset with the new one?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 12:43:21 am »

I'm in a temperate with a river (not a brook but a nice big river) and magma being pumped around and no lag.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 09:46:54 am »

I'm in a temperate with a river (not a brook but a nice big river) and magma being pumped around and no lag.
I guess it was just that world then.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 05:56:53 pm »

It might be related to using graphics sets - I was using mayday for 31.16.  I redownloaded barebones DF and so far no problems.  So there's that.

Really? Shouldn't graphics have no effect on FPS?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 07:11:50 pm »

I suffer a fps drop when maps unthaw (when they thaw I feel far less of a hit)
What is the difference between unthaw and thaw? My dictionary says they both refer to when an object changes from a solid to a liquid as a result of warming.
Unthaw = freeze. We're just using unthaw to differentiante from the freezing of the program (which often happens at the same time).
くコ:彡

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »

actually, I think I was using the wrong terminology for whatever reason. I meant that when the water freezes, I suffer a big fps hit, and when it melts, not so much
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »

I get stops and restarts on ice melting and crystallizing. The most annoying slowdown I get is when channeling out a square that already has a lot of rocks on it (such as when making a skylight). It's annoying because it's just long enough to notice, and it happens once for every square, every z.

I haven't noticed any replicable crashes, but if I run history for more than a few hundred years, it gets very, very slow. I normally cancel when the years start passing slowly enough to read each number.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3