Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is it just me or is 3.18 EXTREMELY buggy  (Read 3225 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it just me or is 3.18 EXTREMELY buggy
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:44:24 am »

My game often start to lag and then at the end it stops.for EVER.There does not even appear an error.It just stops running.The window gets white*win 7* and I cant move it anymoar.I always have to kill it with TASK MANAGER.

Do you experience the same problems?

Btw Im using phoepus and truefont,is that the problem?
THX!

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is 3.18 EXTREMELY buggy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:56:28 am »

While I get lots of lag in the latest version, I don't crash.  Pheobus + TT myself as well.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:11 am »

Do you have water that freezes yearly?

If so, when it freezes or thaws out, you get a massive FPS drop, literally to 0 for a few seconds (more if you FPS was already low, or if theres alot of water thawing/freezing).
Just leave it be for awhile, ignore windows when it says it's not responding, and play a game of solitaire or something to pass the time. Eventually it'll unfreeze and you can carry on again.

If not, then only thing I can suggest is a more efficient fortress design, and all the usual pathfinding/FPS fixes (ie, dump all animals in a cage).
Or you could try fiddling with the print mode in the init.txt file.

Personally mine doesn't lag any worse than it always did, and only locks up temporarily when freezing or thawing lots of water.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:16:05 am »

My game segfaults occasionally, seeming totally random about it. Both in adventurer mode and dwarf mode. Maybe it's because of the mods. Not tested the vanilla game extensively. 31.17 did not segfault at all.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:20:16 am »

I've had more crashes in .18 than in all other versions I've played (although I skipped .17).  Can't figure out what's causing them either.  Just get an error window saying that DF has stopped responding and the process is being terminated.   
I find myself saving a lot more this version so that I don't have to redo as much. 

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:49 am »

I've had lots of crashes on the Mac version (vanilla).  Actually, this is also the first version that I've had with any crashes at all, too.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:37:08 am »

no crashes here, on windows 7 64bit

but I have too the water freezing lag

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:44 am »

Mine kept crashing while I was trying to look st Legends. then it crashed constantly. I had to go back to a previous version just to play.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:13 am »

It's kind of the opposite for me. My FPS seems higher than ever, and I haven't noticed any abnormal slow down either. The game also hasn't crashed on me once.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 11:46:22 am »

It crashes for me sometimes when I save... but the save always gets finished and I can continue playing normally.

Every day I fear the coming of the nemesis error. :(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »

I've found I cannot generate a 1050 year history on .18, it always crashes, so I now do 250 year histories. I have also found that I cannot embark certain places or it will crash too. So yes, I find .18 way, way, way crashier than earlier versions.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 12:06:28 pm »

Erm sorry guys but .18 works perfectly for me :s

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »

Erm sorry guys but .18 works perfectly for me :s
I have to echo this, works great for me. Zero problems.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

If anything I've had .18 run BETTER than usual. Sure, I suffer a fps drop when maps unthaw (when they thaw I feel far less of a hit), but this only takes 5 or 10 seconds (barring one embark I did of 3x2 in a lake's shore. The 4 lake squares took 15 minutes to unthaw. That's why I abandoned that one).
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

While I feel like the lag peaks are worse (but maybe it's my own fault for letting so many mostly harmless ghosts run around), it generally runs faster, and most importantly, tends to crash less often. One for the time being. And I haven't found any "tile of doom" that automatically crash the game if I check them; had at least two of them at all time in .16. So, yeah.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: [1] 2 3