Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea for roofing in fortress mode.  (Read 1678 times)

steelreal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Idea for roofing in fortress mode.
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:03:47 pm »

I just had an idea for something I think would be useful for the game. What if, instead of building individual floor tiles for roofs, the game had a specific 'roof' construction that would use a similar amount of building materials as a bridge. It would also be able to span larger distances that floors and if rain hit the 'roof' it would roll down and off the side of the construction. You would also be able to decide which orientation the roofs slope faced same as a retractable bridge. In doing this it could also be used to collect rainwater if placed in a circular fashion around a channel.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for roofing in fortress mode.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »

Just make a floor at the top

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »

Lawl.

Anyways.

You could always, just use a bridge. I wonder, do you want a construction, we can build from below? Cause that I'm all for. I don't know about collecting rain water... seems to me like, it will cause a lot of flooding, but I'm sure people would have tons of fun, with a construction with no defined size, that can collect large amounts of water. That it's self is almost worth implementing, even if not as a roof.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:01:50 am »

Lawl.

Anyways.

You could always, just use a bridge. I wonder, do you want a construction, we can build from below? Cause that I'm all for. I don't know about collecting rain water... seems to me like, it will cause a lot of flooding, but I'm sure people would have tons of fun, with a construction with no defined size, that can collect large amounts of water. That it's self is almost worth implementing, even if not as a roof.
lawl

yes, building stuff from below and adding raincatchers are good. takes toady-time though...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:35:00 pm »

You could always, just use a bridge.

Cant connect a bridge to a bridge without a floor, otherwise it falls.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:01:29 pm »

You could always, just use a bridge.

Cant connect a bridge to a bridge without a floor, otherwise it falls.

Is this new? I've been using bridges as scaffolding for building the internal walls of a sphere in 0.31.10 and it works brilliantly.

Last z-level I had about 4 bridges in the center connected to the walls by other bridges.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:27:54 pm »

This isn't entirely silly, since it may be interesting to have thatched roofs and the like. But I'm not sure if that sort of thing shouldn't be restricted to Human Stockade.

IMO the thing that really needs work is the Architecture profession. But that's been true ever since Constructions came into play.

My view is that Architecture should wait until ladders and climbing have been brought in, but be needed for all constructions that span multiple z-levels (that is, building walls above walls, etc). Roofs can still be built in much the same way as the OP suggests, with an option to build out of Thatch or Wood - dorfs wait until there is adequate support then build the roof by climbing the walls or a ladder.

Architecture essentially automates construction by having the dwarves move about the building site and construct it in one go. Maybe do so by an "architecture" designation that spans multiple Z-levels. Architecture speeds up construction and allows multiple Z-level constructions to be built, along with rock roofing.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 03:34:02 am »

I would actually like to see "scaffolding" as a buildable item. It would work like an up/down staircase but require no support or walls of any kind.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:39:30 am »

can i put in a request here for thatch roofing?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

NO. Stone or GTFO.

I kid, I kid. But how would thatched roofing work? How is it produced (etc).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

I like the idea. I believe thatch is made out of left over straw husks so maybe thatch could be made from cave wheat. I like the idea in the OP.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »

Would each unit of cave wheat make one bale of thatch? Would it need to be processed? What advantages/differences separates it from stone or wood except for being harder to make and weaker?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »

Constructed tiles that would spawn water on then during a rain would be awesome. Probably best if there was an option to turn off the rain collecting either in prefs or as a construction option.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »

No need. Just give them the same code as muddy ground tiles have. They turn rain into 1/7 water already.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 04:38:14 am »

Dwarves are too stupid for this. They'll kill themselves.

ON THE TOPIC OF THATCHER MATERIALS

i know it ain't thatchin' but there should be an awful lot of materials in the form of tree branches. right? woodcutters often make short work of some 40 trees.. and roofing always takes an insane amount of material to make. it's frustrating! gimme 3 sticks for every tree and you get not only a nice pile of 120 materials, but you also get a significant differance between giant mushrooms and proper trees.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2