Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50111 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:37 pm »

Only those who believe that Crystal Dragonfruit Jesus ate apples at the last supper will be blessed with the eternal glory of the fathers holy fruit salad bowl.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2010, 05:19:04 pm »

I do admire Notch for not letting his ego get in the way of taking on extra programmers. I understand why Toady doesn't, though I completely disagree with him. I feel Toady is withholding something beautiful from the world by not putting a team together.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

I do admire Notch for not letting his ego get in the way of taking on extra programmers. I understand why Toady doesn't, though I completely disagree with him. I feel Toady is withholding something beautiful from the world by not putting a team together.

Maybe so, but then why would he even want to make DF at all if he did that? For him, Toady, DF must be an art, rather then a product, and no artist would outsource just to meet quota.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »

Apples for the apple throne!

That's DF, right? Is this going back to a Minecraft vs. DF gang war but with the new fruit theme?

And I believe Toady stated that he simply doesn't like working with other people or having to rely on anyone but his brother, really. One of those interviews. It's his personal project. Besides, it's not like updates are slow. He's releasing quickly and he's making his own game.

I don't think it's ego, I think it's just personal preference. Even though he's getting all his money from Dwarf Fortress donations, it's really just a personal project hobby type thing, you know?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »

Apples for the apple throne!

That's DF, right? Is this going back to a Minecraft vs. DF gang war but with the new fruit theme?

Yes, that's right, DF is apples.  ;D Anybody who says otherwise is a orange/minecraft spy. You should poison them with arsenic as soon as possible.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

Or cyanide found in apple seeds! Which I guess is the fruit equivalent of BEARDS!

The apple version of Dwarf Fortress has magma in its dwarfy appendage!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »

Apples > Oranges

You ever eat an orange pie?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »

you people should be embarrassed to praise df for being free... you're supposed to donate. I've payed much more for df than i did for minecraft, but i've played minecraft for a week, df has been a passion for 3 years now, so i'd say it was worth it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2010, 10:58:53 pm »

Well, I like to say DF is free because I feel better about saying I donated to something that is free, rather then I paid for quality.

It's to feed my sick ego, you understand.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2010, 11:21:54 pm »

notch has all the right to charge what he charges, and it's a fair price for a fair game. i don't think picking on minecraft for it not being free, or claiming df is better because you didn't payed for it is fair

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2010, 11:31:36 pm »

Oh yes, Notch is allowed to charge as he liked for he's game, Toady is too if he felt it, and I would gladly pay to play DF, but I wouldn't get that smug feeling of "I'm better then you"-ness with each donation.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2010, 11:37:22 pm »

eh, i can relate to that

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2010, 12:19:02 am »

By chance, where do you get this from?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:54 am »

Hmm. Cant recall where I heard that either. I know it was in some kind of Ask Toady! type thing, but the exact link has escaped my mind.

Ditto on wanting a linky.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2010, 03:24:09 pm »

Does anyone here ponder how epic it would be if DF MERGED with Minecraft?
I mean, imagine the interactive 3D nature of the game mixed with a bout 200 or so dwarfs running around and doing crazy stuff :D

Because for me thats the big differance. I'll admit I like Minecraft for its visual aspect, being able to walk around in real time 3D adds a lot.  But the fact that its ONLY you in the game, or maybe 2 or 3 other people, makes it feel so... Empty...
Part of the draw of DF is its mixed with a game like "the sims" you have an army of people to control, command, work, etc.  Of course those exact reasons seem to turn others off to DF.  I know my brother LOVES minecraft but has never liked DF.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27