Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Swedish court orders arrest of Julian Assange  (Read 2182 times)

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swedish court orders arrest of Julian Assange
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:22:14 pm »

A Swedish court has ordered the arrest of WikiLeaks founder, Julian   Assange, on suspicion of rape, something he strongly denies.The decision is expected to lead to an international arrest
warrant   and follows a series of investigations into the creator of the whistle   blowing website after he visited Sweden in August. Earlier, Swedish Prosecutor Marianne Ny said the reason for the
requested arrest warrant was to enable authorities to question the 39   year-old Australian. But, Assange’s Swedish defence lawyer Björn Hurtig insisted both he   and his client had already given
them every opportunity to do this. ‘‘I have on several occasions asked the prosecutor to interrogate   Julian Assange and I have also asked them or proposed some dates in   which he could come
to Sweden and be interrogated but they have said no   to my proposals.’‘ Along with the rape allegation, he also faces other sexual charges against two women. The publication of tens of
thousands of classified US documents in   relation to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has deeply angered the   Pentagon. Assange has said he may seek political asylum in Switzerland.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish court orders arrest of Julian Assange
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:35:07 pm »

So they drop the charges back in August, now they come back to life again... something is deeply wrong here. Doesn't take a genius to see that this isn't how any sane prosecution team would be behaving if it wasn't under some external pressure, and that's assuming that the charges have any basis whatsoever.

The diplomats and intelligence agencies aren't the Illuminati; they just think they are.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:37:07 pm »

Maybe because they got new evidence?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:37:24 pm »

and that's assuming that the charges have any basis whatsoever.

That's quite the assumption.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:43:16 am »

It's a weird case, happening just after the leak... very, very, very suspicious.
Rape, or a sexual aggression, is the accusation of choice when you want to discredit someone ; not so long ago, a Tunisian human right militant was tagreted by such an attack, saved only by his good reaction and the many witness.
Otherwise send a nice girl, or convince an unhappy ex, get sex with the target, pretend that there has been rape, and you got a really infamous charge, and your innocence is really hard to prove.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:49:23 am »

If I remember correctly, the charges were never dropped in August, the arrest order was. This since there was no evidence at all at that point, and the superior prosecutors wanted an investigation (for some strange reason ;)) into the matter.
Maybe that investigation is done now, and have come up with evidence against him.

and that's assuming that the charges have any basis whatsoever.

That's quite the assumption.

Rape-framing is apparently a rather common plot against people other people (avoiding the big "They" here) want discredited. As far as you can call any such conspiracies "common".
Love, scriver~

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »

Assange is meant to be a complete dick in real life, so forgive me if my first assumption isn't OMG GRAND GLOBAL CONSPIRACY.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

There's a huge step between being a dick and being a rapist.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:01:45 pm »

About a big a step as it is from 'founder of Wikileaks' to 'literally impossible for him to commit rape'.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »

You should get some kind of a medal for building strawmen. As I see it, most people don't think he did it because it looks like prosecution has a very flimsy case.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 03:05:48 pm »

Actually, I wish Wikileaks wasn't so dependent on him. After all, foes the fact that he commited rape (or not) change anything to the veracity of the documents he publishes? I don't think so.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 03:12:39 pm »

I don't think that we should judge whether he can or can't be a rapist, because when we get down to it, anyone can be a rapist. We should look at the likelihood of him being a rapist instead, and without evidence and an alibi, then there really is nothing you can pin on him (unless the courts there work on a "guilty until proven innocent" basis). If I was to give my opinion on this, then provided his defendant is telling the truth, this is all very sketchy.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:24:34 pm »

The strongest argument against this is really STATISTICAL. It's not so much that he's less likely to be a rapist than the average Joe of the street, as that that probability is very little to start with and the coincidence of someone that famous and controversial with so many powerful enemies would also be a rapist is abysmally improbable compared to the alternative of him being framed, which is somehting you'd be surprised if it DIDN'T happen over somehting.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:52 pm »

I don't think a court of law would accept that as a defense argument
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:46 pm »

Yea, but that's because governments are stuck in the space age.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2 3