Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 28318 times)

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:39 am »

Yeah, I'm not regretting this purchase so far. I can see some pretty great things in store for this game -- I can't wait to see where the developers take it.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:42 am »

finally managed to get logged in to Sunrest. Character is Hemmi
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:03 am »

Started up a mage on... some server other than Sunrest where I know people. I'll be starting up a rogue or cleric on Sunrest when I get some more time.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:00 am »

i'd reco rogue since i am a cleric, jnecros is prob a cleric and Farseer is a warrior i think.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:19 am »

I'm actually still debating if I'm gonna or not gonna drop the money for this.  What with time commitment and all too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

So, as someone who is very gunshy of MMOs, can you guys tell me if this has the potential to really compete with WoW? This isn't a troll post by the way, I'm just honestly curious. I suspect most of you have played multiple MMOs and are therefore veterans at the genre. My wife is pretty much addicted to WoW, I can't play it for longer than a month without getting sick of it again.

Things I do not like: gear progression is the entire (only) point of WoW. Everyone is a hero. Everyone is "epic." Is this game pretty much the same idea?

I admit to liking the idea of the Rifts, as that sounds really fun, but does it get repetitive? Or are they exciting and interesting enough that they're more fun than typical quests?

Thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:15 am »

So, as someone who is very gunshy of MMOs, can you guys tell me if this has the potential to really compete with WoW? This isn't a troll post by the way, I'm just honestly curious. I suspect most of you have played multiple MMOs and are therefore veterans at the genre. My wife is pretty much addicted to WoW, I can't play it for longer than a month without getting sick of it again.

Things I do not like: gear progression is the entire (only) point of WoW. Everyone is a hero. Everyone is "epic." Is this game pretty much the same idea?

I admit to liking the idea of the Rifts, as that sounds really fun, but does it get repetitive? Or are they exciting and interesting enough that they're more fun than typical quests?

Thanks.
I honestly think it could compete with WoW given time. The game is incredibly polished for a launch-day product, and I've encountered only one bug so far which was more amusing than anything, my friend's head vanished. Only his head. He road around with no head for an hour before it fixed itself (by swapping helmets and then swapping back). I'm not sure what you mean about 'everyone being a hero' but at least in Rift the storyline tells you WHY you are so epic. You're an ascended being either granted power and brought back from the dead by the gods (Guardian) or revived in a tank and forcibly 'ascended' through super science (Defiant).

Gear does play a large part in the game, as with any MMO, but I think the class system blows WoW's out of the water.

The rifts are interesting. Last night an event happened in Freemarch, the Defiant starter zone. Keep in mind this is the newbie area... the powers of the plane of death revived an ancient being called the Iron Tyrant and his forces started marching across the zone. They would reach a quest hub, shatter the wardstone and set up their own foodhold from which to spawn more soldiers and they moves across the zone battling players and NPC's. When this all happened, it went from midday sun to night-dark sky without stars, and you could see rifts forming all across the zone. Huge iron golems were marching on the city, some of the enemies had ridiculous amounts of health (750k compared to a player's ~2000 at level 19-20) and the only way to stop more from spawning was to close death rifts and bring back 'shadestone' to the planar capacitors in the two major city areas to charge them. Once charged, these cut off the supply of reinforcements and allowed people to deal with the army that had already come through. We did eventually win, though one of the capacitors was wiped out by a golem and it was a close thing. Everyone involved got special rewards based on their contribution (which includes healing and buffing) and the darkness cleared.

After an hour or so we'd retaken all of the quest hubs by destroying the footholds as well, and it was mostly normal again though a LOT of rifts still remained to be closed when I logged out.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2011, 11:15:24 am »

i'd reco rogue since i am a cleric, jnecros is prob a cleric and Farseer is a warrior i think.

Rogue sounds good. I haven't really looked at them at all until just now... it's kind of amusing that rogues can tank and heal if you pick the right souls. Somehow I keep forgetting how much I like this soul system. My mage is a warlock/necromancer/archon and I think I have 4 damage over time spells that have damage and duration boosted enough that I can just stack them all up on one enemy and move on to the next. Three of them are instant-cast and one drains health to me so even if it takes a couple seconds to kill something, I'm rarely below 75% health.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:17 am »

I like the fact that every calling (mage, warrior, cleric, rogue) can have a pet class and most of them could tank or heal as well.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

Heres what I can answer.  I know a few WoW players who are interested in Rift.  Cause its samey as WoW, but fresh.
As a person who disliked WoW... its, surprisingly... not as... lame? grindy? as the perception I got from WoW.

Also, you are a 'hero', like everyone else.  The 'epic' kind.  Or at least that is how the story goes. 
I could do without that.  No comment on gear progression, only played OBT and didn't get that far to begin with.

The class system is what most interests me.  Every class can be a melee/tank, every class can be a mage/ranged, every class can be a healer.  And each of them play differently in relation to their specialization/class.   (Actually, I havn't looked much into the mage/rogue... but I figure the same applies.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2011, 11:22:23 am »

i'm not a fanboi but I have to tell you that this game just put a serious dent in WoW's subscriptions. It won't outright kill WoW just like WoW didn't outright kill Everquest or the others. It will definitely draw in big numbers from other games. I've seen people leaving WoW, and Darkfall in large numbers. A friend who writes content for Blizzard told me WoW expects a short term loss of 40% of subscriptions until things cool off. Who knows, but this game isn't going anywhere for the next 3-5 years. It's a good investment of time and money.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:15 am »

Yeah the numbers I've heard say Rift's up over 1 million subscribers already and it isn't technically even released yet. They're doing things pretty well to try and appeal to WoW players as well as non-WoW players and I most of the people I know who play WoW are at least giving Rift a try.

The class system is what most interests me.  Every class can be a melee/tank, every class can be a mage/ranged, every class can be a healer.  And each of them play differently in relation to their specialization/class.   (Actually, I havn't looked much into the mage/rogue... but I figure the same applies.)
I guess technically not every class can be every role (no mage tanks or warrior healers, for instance), but it's much easier to list what they can't do than what they can.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:16 am »

Yeah it is doing very well..I would say it is not even close to a WoW-killer though. It is just fun in it's own right.

I can see people playing both WoW and Rift. Once the newest wears off however, I bet most people who are hardcore WoW players will retreat back to where they came from if money is an issue and they cant pay for 2 subs.
WoW has years of content under it's belt and growing, and is still very strong in arena pvp and in battleground pvp.

The newcomer Rift will be an interesting ride over the next few years, and as it stands, is fun, much less about gear grinding at lvls 1-30 at least, and the game itself is much better than other post-WoW mmos, imo.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2011, 11:51:11 am »

Yeah it is doing very well..I would say it is not even close to a WoW-killer though. It is just fun in it's own right.

I agree, but mostly because I'm not convinced such thing as a WoW-killer could exist. It'd be a lot like asking if something's a Google/Netflix/Facebook killer... they just have such a hold on the market that it's going to take a paradigm shift to dislodge any of them. I guess WoW has less of a complete dominance on its market than any of those three have on theirs though, so I could see Rift coexisting with WoW and keeping pretty high subscription numbers.

Also, argh... now I want to go make that rogue. Stupid workday.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

Thank you for all the information. I'll be keeping an eye on this and make sure my MMO-addicted wife takes a look at it. The idea of the Rift attacks seems fun to me, because I really enjoyed the public quests when Warhammer Online launched.

Hope you guys continue to have a good time in Rift!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15