Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 28290 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Rift: Planes of Telara
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »

Rift

Anyone else heard of this? I didn't see a topic about it using the search function, but I recently read about it in a Game Informer article (from a magazine my friend let me read) regarding the "future of dynamic content MMOs." Rift and Guild Wars 2 featured in it.

It's an MMORPG currently in closed beta that promises things changing as far as each experience being unique during levelling, exploration, etc. If Rifts from the elemental planes aren't closed, towns can be overtaken until players fight back, and they can grow in power to a point where it'll take large groups of people to fight back. Rift also seems to have a base class-secondary system, where you choose one of the four mains (Cleric, Mage, Rogue, Warrior) and then go from there (Nightblade, Assassin, Blade Dancer, and Ranger for Rogues, for example, with more classes 'coming soon'). It looks like they've got a form of either "dual speccing" or multiclassing; once you level you can choose from another one of the secondary professions. I don't know how any of this really works though.

There are two factions (represented, in a cliched way, by Red and Blue), the Defiant and the Guardians. I don't see much of a difference between the two, other than the starting classes you can choose (Defiant can easily acquire Nightblade, for example, while they wouldn't be able to get Assassin until you progress later in the game, and vice versa) and the race you start as (with three per faction, each with different racial abilities).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:55:56 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:07 pm »

I've heard of this, but have struggled to find anything really unique about it. GW2 has the whole no sub fee, no groups, dynamic quests thing they're promising. But the only thing that really looks unique on this one is the monsters taking over towns thing, and im dubious as to how that'll actually work out. It sounds good on paper, but I don't want to log in one day and find myself in the town bank surrounded by monsters 20 levels higher than me.

That being said I've not really read up about this game as much as I have GW2. Though looking through the rifts site just now it doesn't seem like there are as many gameplay videos as GW2. They both seem to be trying to do the same thing, it's just that GW2 seems like it's making an effort to change up many of the stale MMO tropes that every other game has.

You might also want to check out TERA which seems to be trying to make MMO combat much more action-oriented. Looks pretty good from the few videos I've seen, but they were mostly showing off the combat system, and aside from that I don't really know anything about it. :P

It does seem like theres a sort of a tred developing with many MMO developers realising that if they want to compete in the ridiculously saturated MMO market they'll have to do something more than just ape what came before them.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »

But the only thing that really looks unique on this one is the monsters taking over towns thing, and im dubious as to how that'll actually work out.

Tabula rasa had bases that were contested by NPCs. either players or monsters defended the base. It was kinda fun though.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »

It makes a lot of promises that could be interesting, but i honestly couldnt tell you if it will be good or not until a opportunity to play it came about.
...Good name though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:48:01 pm »

Bloody annoying name. I thought it was going to be a RIFTS mmo or something. Which could probably be awesome, but whatever.

EDIT: Though I see why you'd say that :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:52:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:32:10 am »

Recently got into the beta; from what I can see it appears like a more functional WoW/Aion/DAoC hybrid, taking some of the best parts of each to make a fairly enjoyable MMO. Not sure if I would pay for it (only had a little bit of time to play with it) but it does seem to be a solid game for a company that's new to the MMO genre.

Maybe a bit WoWlike for my tastes (if I wanted to play WoW, I'd play it instead). But again, a solid game with an interesting class system.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »

If anyone wants into the betas from now until opening, I have a key that's apparently good for 25 uses.

As for the main things that make it 'unique' (in no particular order)...

1. The 'rifts' that have already been mentioned
2. You can pick three subclasses from your main class (cleric/mage/warrior/rogue), and once you have all three, there's no restriction as to how you advance in them all. i.e. your third picked subclass can have more points dumped into it than your first picked subclass. It's worth noting that both factions have the same access to the subclasses, unlike what OP says.
3. Theme. I love the theme so far. Guardians are the religious zealots, and the Defiants are people who have rejected gods in favor of 'magitech', i.e. a hybrid of magic and technology.
4. 'Dynamic world'. I haven't really seen much of this in action, yet, other than hordes of skeletons randomly descending on outposts and the like.

It is a lot like WoW and such, but mostly in regards to making it easy to switch over, if you're used to WoW. If you wanted a more mature/less cartoony MMO than WoW, it's good stuff. I'll probably be pre-ordering it, if I can get the cash before it releases.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:20:07 pm »

Been playing this too, I love it. It is the first time I've found an MMO that has actually felt as polished if not moreso than WoW, while still  bringing some fresh flavor.

The Dynamic world content is mostly in the form of aforementioned Rifts and Footholds/Invasions of enemy forces into Telara, which leads to huge public quests spreading rapidly across the region until they're taken care of. Quite fun and gets people working together quick!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »

So it is cool?  I remember seeing it on Steam and thinking something along the lines of "Hopy shit what a generic game"
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »

So it is cool?  I remember seeing it on Steam and thinking something along the lines of "Hopy shit what a generic game"

I know what you mean, I felt the same about it until I saw the Yogscast guys review of it, then I thought 'oh wow I need to try this out'. I suggest their videos are a nice place to start, and the Beta is still going for like another month. yogscast.com

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

I'm in the beta and this game is so much fun. I tried playing it like WoW at first, accepting quests and then running around and trying to complete them but I just couldn't stay focused on them because the dynamic content was so much more fun. The public quests also drop some nice loot as well, making it feasible to just run around and take part in them exclusively rather than finishing dull fetch quests.

A minor qualm of mine, is that those public quests truly are public. I arrived at an "invasion" before anyone else did and was promptly one-shotted and killed. :S

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »

Back when I played Warhammer Online, my favorite features were the hilarious Greenskin faction, public quests, and RvR areas.

Some of what this game features sound fairly evolutionary for the WoW format, but they'll need to give MMO burnouts like me a free taste for a week or two before I blow $50 on a subscription game. (Seriously, either sell the subscription or sell the game, why make the barrier of entry so high by making me get both?)

The dynamic stuff sounds good, at least on paper. If it plays like I imagine it should, I'd be tempted to pay closer attention to it -- but I'll wait for some post-release Bay 12 impressions.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:34:34 pm »

i want a key, if anyone has one can you send it? Also, where do I apply the key in my account area?
I got nothing

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

It's worth noting that both factions have the same access to the subclasses, unlike what OP says.

They changed it from the time the topic was posted, but good to know.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »

i want a key, if anyone has one can you send it? Also, where do I apply the key in my account area?

Key sent. There should be a button that says "apply code" on the lefthand side of the screen. You'll get an email when you're accepted into beta.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15