Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dropping out of school?  (Read 6380 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping out of school?
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:45 am »

i had ADHD but over the power of one i was able to control myself into focusing at a ridiculous amount creating ADD. The aspergers was simply looking back at all of my events in life and the notical fact that i kept few friends(which possibly can be a effect), i just shrugged my shoulders and go on with life (im self suffient). Don't worry man, creating focus is your number one goal, if you can focus you can pass. i would know cause JeffCo doesn't hold back students :P

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:13 am »

Pardon me if this sounds ignorant, or if my world view is limited, but I'd like to learn more about your mindset, Taco Dan. For me, due to my parents, peers, and personality, I have a hard time imagining how a person can be failing high school because they hate doing the work. I hope this doesn't come across as offensive.

I link motivation very closely with intelligence. It's true that there are individuals who seem very smart, but don't achieve such high grades in high school; however, in the end they weren't able to harness their supposed intelligence for the purposes of schooling. Sure, it may be boring, but a person's grades seems to speak volumes of a person's practicality and understanding--your GPA helps get you into university. Your GPA there will get you into a graduate school. Your GPA effectively follows you your entire life in this society. With your intelligence, push past the boredom, push past the laziness, and get good grades. High school is not hard. In my opinion, the only time a person should ever consider dropping out is if they already have a solid plan for what they want to do after dropping out (ex: Bill Gates-style).

Simply put, it is difficult for me to understand why a person could say "I'm currently failing high school, and not because I'm dumb, it's just because I hate doing the work." Is the short-term discomfort of schoolwork so great? I know I might be echoing those who tell you that "it's not that hard," but I'm also genuinely curious about your thinking and opinion on this.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

Dropping out of school isn't such a big deal. I dropped out for.. various reasons, and, apart from having to do a little extra work now, didn't really suffer all that much for it.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »

That's been my experience as well. Not that big a deal for me either.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2010, 02:25:32 pm »

3rd year of lawschool here, never understood why people drop out of school/college, its takes less effort then a job and today a single extra line in your curriculum can put you above hundreds of others in a company's hiring list.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2010, 04:31:43 pm »

3rd year of lawschool here, never understood why people drop out of school/college, its takes less effort then a job and today a single extra line in your curriculum can put you above hundreds of others in a company's hiring list.
I dropped out of school to GET a job.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2010, 04:35:01 pm »

And I di'nt have much choice. Even so, I got into college no problem, and all I have to do is two extra units.
*Hugs*

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:19 am »

Pardon me if this sounds ignorant, or if my world view is limited, but I'd like to learn more about your mindset, Taco Dan. For me, due to my parents, peers, and personality, I have a hard time imagining how a person can be failing high school because they hate doing the work. I hope this doesn't come across as offensive.

I link motivation very closely with intelligence. It's true that there are individuals who seem very smart, but don't achieve such high grades in high school; however, in the end they weren't able to harness their supposed intelligence for the purposes of schooling. Sure, it may be boring, but a person's grades seems to speak volumes of a person's practicality and understanding--your GPA helps get you into university. Your GPA there will get you into a graduate school. Your GPA effectively follows you your entire life in this society. With your intelligence, push past the boredom, push past the laziness, and get good grades. High school is not hard. In my opinion, the only time a person should ever consider dropping out is if they already have a solid plan for what they want to do after dropping out (ex: Bill Gates-style).

Simply put, it is difficult for me to understand why a person could say "I'm currently failing high school, and not because I'm dumb, it's just because I hate doing the work." Is the short-term discomfort of schoolwork so great? I know I might be echoing those who tell you that "it's not that hard," but I'm also genuinely curious about your thinking and opinion on this.
It's just my funky brain chemistry I guess. If I really don't want to do something, I either won't do it, or work so sluggishly that something that should take me a half hour ends up taking two hours.

As for a plan, I had been thinking about it a lot, but now I realize even if I do take GED and drop out, my recent track record at school would prevent anyone in their sane mind from accepting me, so I guess I really have no choice.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:39 am »

I was never asked about my grades or track record in high school when I applied for college or any job. I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2010, 12:48:47 pm »

1 year in community college WITH exceptional grades guarantees entrance to universities well at least over here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]