Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Magma falls don't make "mist"  (Read 2043 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma falls don't make "mist"
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 02:20:01 pm »

Try instead to think of lava as a sort of a thick, lethal pudding.
I had some of that once.  Opened the fridge and it tried to grab me.

I bet it allied with the yogurt colony in the fight for independance.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 03:03:43 pm »

Try instead to think of lava as a sort of a thick, lethal pudding.
I had some of that once.  Opened the fridge and it tried to grab me.

Oh God, that made me lol.  Hard.

I think that erm...  Magma should have pressure...  But not as much as water.  It's still a liquid, isn't it?  And wouldn't all liquids be able to balance across a U-bend, no matter the viscosity?  Perhaps I'm mistaken, and if I am, please correct me. :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »

I think that erm...  Magma should have pressure...  But not as much as water.  It's still a liquid, isn't it?  And wouldn't all liquids be able to balance across a U-bend, no matter the viscosity?  Perhaps I'm mistaken, and if I am, please correct me. :)

The reasoning is that you need to be able to have smelters built over volcanoes- if lava had pressure, it would allways melt those structures eventually.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 03:31:18 pm »

Wait what?  How?  Explain?

I think I'm having trouble understanding because I haven't yet played a map with magma.

(I've been trying to let my current fort[lavaless] die for about 12 years now...  But somehow, I'm surviving...)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 03:46:48 pm »

Because one never builds their magma forges (etc.) at the top of the volcano.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 03:56:28 pm »

Does the magma have to be connected to the volcano in order to build the forges on it?  I don't understand...  Also!  If that's the case, couldn't you do this if there were pressure?

(Side view)
Code: [Select]
   #~~~~#  FORGES #~~~
   ####~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
      ###############

~=Magma
#=Wall
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:59:00 pm by Tylui »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 04:06:28 pm »

I did that...

No wait, I planned on doing that, but fire imps killed my miner about five minutes in and I quit.
Shoes...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »

I never build my wells on top of the water supply either. Controlling water pressure is entirely possible with a few floodgates. It does mean that bauxite-less maps become a hell of a lot less feasible for magma industry, though, since to my knowledge the only other way to stop a magma flow once started is a cave-in.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 04:23:15 pm »

Does the magma have to be connected to the volcano in order to build the forges on it?  I don't understand...  Also!  If that's the case, couldn't you do this if there were pressure?

You don't understand how pressure works, do you?  It'd PUSH RIGHT UP THROUGH THE FORGES.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 05:08:26 pm »

That would be epic.
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »

You don't understand how pressure works, do you?  It'd PUSH RIGHT UP THROUGH THE FORGES.

Do you... Do you gave to be a dick about it...?

If you want to get all technical about it and talk about how pressure works...  Water's all wrong at the moment.  Not only that, but magma IRL has pressure.  Soo...

Does the magma have to be channeled to a forge then it stops AT the forge?  As I've stated, I've never used magma.  So help me out without being a dick about it.  WHY would it push through the forges?  Aren't the dwarves smart enough to figure out a way to use it without it doing so?

EDIT:

Ahh! Okay.  So I've looked up a fortress with magma.  It seems that you put the magma underneath the furnaces.  Well!

The magma won't push up through the forges if A) You seal it from the source with a bauxite-mechanism'd floodgate, B) You build above the source, C) You drop it down, then bring it up with steel pumps.  Pumping water gets rid of pressure, so I'm sure it would do the same to magma.

Therefore, it won't always "PUSH RIGHT UP THROUGH THE FORGES".  Especially not in capital letters.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:55:44 pm by Tylui »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »

I capped off my magma vent, dug 4 channels into the very top of it and let the lava fill back up to the top.  As long as you don't go under the predefined "ground level" or equalization level of the pipe (the level it starts when you begin your map) you don't have to worry about it bubbling out.  However, if you build the forges over top of a lava generating tile (bottom level, inspect tile, lava flow = generator) lower than the "pressure" level of the generator it WILL push lava back up through your forge.

If you don't want to deal with this, mine out a path to the lava and place your forges on top of this path.  Since there is no generator below the channel, it will not bubble over as lava doesn't travel up (unless it's above one of these tiles).  At least that's from my limited experience with lava. (4 maps now)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:28:25 pm »

For the record, if you just want to stop magma, and not restart it again, then "a couple of buckets of water" is plug compatible with a bauxite floodgate arrangement*

So magmaworks on a hypothetical pressurized volcano would be feasible, but would just have a rather steep learning curve.

--
* except that the resulting wall cant be demolished by something suitably nasty coming up the magma pipe, flooding your fortress and dooming the inhabitants to fiery 'fun'

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »

Kaypy, is that avatar real?  That's an incredible feat if it is.
Shoes...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:42 am »

Kaypy, is that avatar real?  That's an incredible feat if it is.
Yeah, it was posted in the 3Dwarf thread.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 [2] 3