Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 14521 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:53 am »

If they've visited hell, which they have been witnessed to do, they almost certainly passed through the magma sea to get there.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2010, 05:41:04 am »

has cotton candy weapons been tested against them?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2010, 08:31:45 am »

i've Confirmed that Ghosts can't be Burned with Magma , in Test #38 , I filled a whole Pit with Magma while a Ghost is in it , Turned it into Obsidian , And When i Washed away the obsidian , The Ghost is still there , and "alive"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2010, 11:07:43 am »

has cotton candy weapons been tested against them?

I fear the simple fact that all their body parts are listed as missing in their wounds screen means that there is absolutely no way they can be harmed. There's really no way to damage a creature in df if there's nothing to hit. Add this to the fact that they can't be encased in obsidian, atom-smashed, pressure-washed-down-the-drain, or in any way physically contact the living world (unless they're TRYING to of course), and it would appear your only hope is to make a slab/coffin for them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:11:04 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »

Two THREE things:

- Spooks do NOT require haunted locations! I had one spawn in my wilderness fort, after I unceremoniously dumped the corpse.

- Spooks that die from unfulfilled moods display as being the creators of the artifact they never got to make (!)

- The spook attacked and brutalized a dwarf with whom he had a grudge in life. The attacked dwarf had in his status report "He was assaulted by a dead and still annoying acquitance recently"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:38:58 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »

Two THREE things:

- Spooks do NOT require haunted locations! I had one spawn in my wilderness fort, after I unceremoniously dumped the corpse.

- Spooks that die from unfulfilled moods display as being the creators of the artifact they never got to make (!)

- The spook attacked and brutalized a dwarf with whom he had a grudge in life. The attacked dwarf had in his status report "He was assaulted by a dead and still annoying acquitance recently"

Post-mortem wish fulfillment much.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »

The attacked dwarf had in his status report "He was assaulted by a dead and still annoying acquitance recently"

I genuinely laughed at that.
"Oh no! A ghost! Wait, it's you? Agghh, this is just like you!"
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2010, 11:30:14 pm »

Being brutalized by the spirit of a dead dwarf would seem to be more than annoying.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:00 am »

This seems highly relevant and motivation for our scientists.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2010, 03:53:57 am »

Also, I might be wrong about this, but now he has a child. And he didn't last time I checked. So I'd swear he had it while ghostified
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2010, 04:00:17 am »

Also, I might be wrong about this, but now he has a child. And he didn't last time I checked. So I'd swear he had it while ghostified
Well that's conceivable no pun intended.
As long as the child wasn't born more than eight months or so after he died.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2010, 04:03:05 am »

That's the thing, I'm trying to find out his age, to no avail.

I dont think it's too far fetched that it was a ghostly conception, as ghosts DO keep the relationships they had in life, and thus their wives might count as "married" (and thus able to spawn children) if the ghost is still around
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:04:36 am by ChairmanPoo »

12th_nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2010, 04:44:23 pm »

One question I've got, that I don't think has been asked, is can slabs be destroyed by Building Destroyers?
If YES, then the most logical place for slabs to go is out front where the Building Destroyers can get to them. In theory, they'd destroy the slab and summon the, hopefully, pissed off shade of the memorialized dwarf. Which would then, hopefully, attack the invading army.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »

Not actually scientific or much on topic, but this video makes me think dwarf fortress where dead girls ghost scares people, also has nice beards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsMPOfblfg

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2010, 04:49:10 am »

Have some new facts.

1) Ghosts can thaw ice.
My planter got caught by yeti at the edge of volcano and dodged into it. he reached bottom of magma sea and died. After a while he became a forlorn haunt ghost. First he was wandering at the death location, then he teleported to my food stockpile, carved out of glacier. And now I have an additional entrance through ice wall and water pools at the stockpile. Not sure is it because of planter dead of magma, or ghost were wandering though magma, or it's just ghost's ability, like throwing things.
Edited: Yes, ghost jumped incide glacier and also thawed that ice. but it immediately refroze

2) Empty coffins don't prevent ghosts. I had a coffin assigned as resting place of that planter (actualy i needed coffin for other dead, but dwarves assigned this one to him), but after he arisen, it counts as his tomb, like a noble's one.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:00:45 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10