Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia II [Over: And it was KaminaSquirtle all along]  (Read 87890 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia II [Day 1: Death by spoon]
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 09:18:48 pm »

Unvote. KaminaSquirtle, Have you read the first Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Toaster, who would you most want as town sorcerers?

Besides myself?  Someone who won't get himself lynched, but also someone who doesn't tend to attract a night kill.  From the current list, I'd pick maybe you or Jim.  (And myself, but that's probably not the answer you wanted.)

Nirur, if on day 2 someone asked you to claim your assist, what would you say to them?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »

Nirur, if on day 2 someone asked you to claim your assist, what would you say to them?
I'd likely state who I voted for, then counter-attack the person who immediately claimed it was an obvious scum-tell.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

How do you go about finding the Dark Sorcerers, or if you are a Dark Sorcerer, lynching the rest of the players?

Come on, lemon10. This isn't a trick question. Tell me what you think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

Jokerman, why do dark sorcerers like terrible poetry?

Because it is the only thing that can grant others the pain that dark sorcerers feel inside their hearts.

Jim, I can see that you're trying to help a newbie - admirable. But do you feel that it's more important than trying to identify scum, to help this newbie get to his feet? Would you continue to support him beyond D1, or would you attack him like everyone else?

Or, in a scarier twist, are you both scum and you're flaunting it under our noses?
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

I'm going to say that claiming assists is a bad idea, and asking for them to be claimed is scummy.

Why?  It's a way to find out who the town sorcerers are.  They don't have assists, so in an assist claim, they have to either lie or come out.  Either way, all it will do is put the town sorcerers in a bad position.  Scum sorcs won't care about lying to us.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

Good point, I stand corrected.

Unvote Jokerman.
Vote Criptfeind, get in here: If you were on a three person scumteam, who would you most want to be with you, of those currently playing?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 12:11:18 am »

Jim, I can see that you're trying to help a newbie - admirable. But do you feel that it's more important than trying to identify scum, to help this newbie get to his feet? Would you continue to support him beyond D1, or would you attack him like everyone else?

Or, in a scarier twist, are you both scum and you're flaunting it under our noses?

Why do you assume I'm trying to help him? I'm trying to get him to talk. I want to get a read on him, and what he thinks a good strategy is. Since he's a newbie he might slip up and reveal his alignment really early on. Don't want him to ball up in the fetal position right off the bat though, by being too hostile and demanding. That would probably get him lynched, regardless of whether he's town or scum.

Gentle prodding to start off the day. Then I'll get harder and harder on him. Since this isn't a Beginner's Mafia I don't have to use the kid gloves, even if I am right now.

And another thing. You think the only thing I can do is try and get a newbie to talk during the whoooole of Day 1? That's ridiculous. I could question everybody in this game at the same time without breaking a sweat. So don't you worry about whether or not me trying to help a little ol' newbie here is going to affect how much I scumhunt, because it won't.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:00 am »

2) Don't answer questions for other people. It's a sign of buddying. If Jokerman is killed and shown as scum, such a post would come up and be used against you, likely as you defending him.
In a fit of stupidity, i assumed that the comma was acting as a period, and that the question was in general rather then to the person talked about earlier  :-[

How do you go about finding the Dark Sorcerers, or if you are a Dark Sorcerer, lynching the rest of the players?

Come on, lemon10. This isn't a trick question. Tell me what you think.
To be frank, I don't really have a clue. I know that i'm supposed to look at what people say, and deduce who has the most scummy behavior, (eg. lurking), but i'm not quite sure how to do it.
I'll try to work it all out by the end though. :)
Yeah, you guys were right, this is extremely "interesting", i probably should have tried a game of beginners mafia first lol
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:08 am »

Lemon:  You'll do fine.  Just take things in stride.

Other than that, please tell us what characteristics you would want in your scumpartner, so we can learn how you think.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 12:35:40 am »

To be frank, I don't really have a clue. I know that i'm supposed to look at what people say, and deduce who has the most scummy behavior, (eg. lurking), but i'm not quite sure how to do it.
I'll try to work it all out by the end though. :)
Yeah, you guys were right, this is extremely "interesting", i probably should have tried a game of beginners mafia first lol

Deduction is only half the game though. You also need to actively go out and find scum. You do this by asking questions. Hypothetical ones about things people would do, questions about what they have done, and so on. You will be suspected if you just sit around doing nothing and figure out who's suspicious just by the work other people have done.

Unvote for now. As long as you look like you're interested in finding scum people will forgive any newbie mistakes you make. The dark inverse of that statement is that if you don't look like you're interested, people will suspect you and vote for you. So if you're town, make an earnest attempt to play the game.

Meanwhile, Jetsquirrel! Who are you going to parrot this game? Squawk squawk squawk!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:01 am »

Jetsquirrel, what do you think will be the easy way to catch our scum?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 12:49:21 am »

Lemon:  You'll do fine.  Just take things in stride.
Other than that, please tell us what characteristics you would want in your scumpartner, so we can learn how you think.
One that posts, but posts rather uninteresting and boring things, so that he isn't suspected. And more importantly one that doesn't say anything stupid enough so that people outright know its him.

Unvote , since i don't really see anything suspect.
Jetsquirrel, come on, get out here, and if you were scum, who do you think would be the biggest threat to you?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:08 am »

lemon10, why'd you pick Jetsquirrel for that question?

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 01:17:11 am »

Why do you assume I'm trying to help him? I'm trying to get him to talk. I want to get a read on him, and what he thinks a good strategy is. Since he's a newbie he might slip up and reveal his alignment really early on. Don't want him to ball up in the fetal position right off the bat though, by being too hostile and demanding. That would probably get him lynched, regardless of whether he's town or scum.

Gentle prodding to start off the day. Then I'll get harder and harder on him. Since this isn't a Beginner's Mafia I don't have to use the kid gloves, even if I am right now.

And another thing. You think the only thing I can do is try and get a newbie to talk during the whoooole of Day 1? That's ridiculous. I could question everybody in this game at the same time without breaking a sweat. So don't you worry about whether or not me trying to help a little ol' newbie here is going to affect how much I scumhunt, because it won't.

Don't be defensive or anything, jeez. While I can see what you're saying about trying to prod him into slipping up, I asked a series of questions that were designed to get you to talk. And talk you have, with motivating points.

Now, let me ask this. If you were scum, wouldn't you find an easy out by prodding a newbie until he gave a slip that you could use against him? How are we to know you aren't doing that right now?
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:15 am »

Yes, that would be an easy out for me if I were scum. But that's not something specific to me alone; it would be an easy out for anybody.

When lemon10 slips up, whether or not he's being a newbie or scum is going to be a difficult judgment to make, but I'm not going to ignore it when he does. I'm going to ask him questions, and then I'll make that judgment based on how he responds.

Just like normal scumhunting! Go figure.

I'll be more forgiving though, because he's a newbie and he's going to make lots of mistakes. But there are lots of unique scum tells that only newbies drop that should make it a straightforward matter to figure out whether or not he's scum in addition to being a newbie. Like not being able to call someone scum, sounding like he's reading from a script, etc.

Most importantly, if I think he's trying to look for scum I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Weren't you a minute ago implying he and I were cozy scumbuddies, and now you're implying that I'm scum trying to go after him because he'd be an easy target? I don't know, dude. Seems like you're setting yourself up to suspect me later on, regardless of whether or not I'm hard or easy on the guy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26