Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1574

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2369614 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #10725 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »

I fell to my death on a mountainous planet. Really wasn't expecting the drop to be that large.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:58 pm »

Big dragon break dragon boat!

(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »

Not *my* death, personally, but when two aliens packed in a sardine can of a small scout manage to kill five of my seven soldiers... That's pretty bad. I honestly don't know what the hell happened: I threw what I THINK was a flashbang into the ship and the two aliens were on the edge of the blast radius... But they both respond with reaction fire and kill my shotgun soldier. I killed one fairly quickly, but the other was cowering in the back, constantly suppressed, with no cover, and still managed to kill two of my guys before it was put down.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:54 am »

Not *my* death, personally, but when two aliens packed in a sardine can of a small scout manage to kill five of my seven soldiers... That's pretty bad. I honestly don't know what the hell happened: I threw what I THINK was a flashbang into the ship and the two aliens were on the edge of the blast radius... But they both respond with reaction fire and kill my shotgun soldier. I killed one fairly quickly, but the other was cowering in the back, constantly suppressed, with no cover, and still managed to kill two of my guys before it was put down.

That sounds like XCOM Xenonauts, baby!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: January 17, 2014, 01:22:26 am »

14 rookies left. 6 returned alive. 2 out of an indeterminate number of aliens were killed in exchange, nothing recovered. That's basically a death in my book :p
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: January 17, 2014, 01:41:21 am »

Playtesting our group's pre-alpha. Glitched through a wall and CTD'd while backpedaling from a swarm of owls.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: January 17, 2014, 02:23:53 am »

14 rookies left. 6 returned alive. 2 out of an indeterminate number of aliens were killed in exchange, nothing recovered. That's basically a death in my book :p

That's almost exactly what happened in my first xcom mission ever, except that I decided to change my objective to "recover those artifacts near the ship" and dragged a sectoid corpse and a plasma pistol back to the ship.  Which didn't end up mattering at all because I got more before I finished my current research.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: January 17, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

That's almost exactly what happened in my first xcom mission ever, except that I decided to change my objective to "recover those artifacts near the ship" and dragged a sectoid corpse and a plasma pistol back to the ship.  Which didn't end up mattering at all because I got more before I finished my current research.
I attempted to do just that. The soldier with the artifacts in question got shot in the back while still far away from the Skyranger.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:59 pm »

Grenades, man. Throw a smoke grenade on the ramp of the skyranger, throw one at any patch of open ground you need to cross, if there's an alien you can't see taking pot shots at your guys as they try to walk by, start bombing the area with HE grenades... You can never be sure. A corpse, plasma pistol, one clip, and maybe an alien grenade are not worth a soldier or three. I don't really bother with heavy cannons or rocket launchers, just grenades. Since OpenXCom fixes the item limit bug, you can hang as many grenades on your soldiers as they have strength.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: January 17, 2014, 05:17:21 pm »

Flannery wiped my team with a skilled strategy of Sunny Day+Overheat spam. She killed my Marshtomp in two hits, despite my Marshtomp's fire resistance. Everything else got wiped in one hit.

This being a nuzlocke run, it means "game over, dude, bette rluck next time lolz."

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: January 17, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »

Flannery wiped my team with a skilled strategy of Sunny Day+Overheat spam. She killed my Marshtomp in two hits, despite my Marshtomp's fire resistance. Everything else got wiped in one hit.

This being a nuzlocke run, it means "game over, dude, bette rluck next time lolz."

I wasn't aware of the pokemon games having an AI before Emerald?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: January 17, 2014, 07:59:03 pm »

Gym leaders and some other AI trainers have basic AI strategies. I'm fairly certain Flannery has sunny day and overheat on all three of her pokemon, making it easy to spam. Brawley likes to wreck yer shit with bulk up, focus energy, and making his machop chop yer mas dead with critical hits. Strategies like that. It's nothing compared to potential human strategies, but it's better than "tackle until they're dead" like with most AI trainers.

I probably should've grinded a bit more and used more potions. Having more pokemon with type advantages to fire would've helped too, I had several water types and a fire+ground type I could've trained. Oh well, YASD.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: January 17, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »

Gym leaders and some other AI trainers have basic AI strategies. I'm fairly certain Flannery has sunny day and overheat on all three of her pokemon, making it easy to spam. Brawley likes to wreck yer shit with bulk up, focus energy, and making his machop chop yer mas dead with critical hits. Strategies like that. It's nothing compared to potential human strategies, but it's better than "tackle until they're dead" like with most AI trainers.

I probably should've grinded a bit more and used more potions. Having more pokemon with type advantages to fire would've helped too, I had several water types and a fire+ground type I could've trained. Oh well, YASD.

Ahh, so they do. :) Good to know. I remember Brawley being hard that time I tried to speed through the game the first time. It's funny how pokemon was easier when I was younger... because I constantly got lost I did a lot of accidental grinding. :P

The issue I have with Nuzlocke is that it's incredibly easy... if you can be bothered to grind to high levels on really, really safe areas. It's really a tradeoff of skill vs. time.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: January 17, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »

I missed a grappling hook shot.  Havoc didn't bounce.

Ahh, so they do. :) Good to know. I remember Brawley being hard that time I tried to speed through the game the first time. It's funny how pokemon was easier when I was younger... because I constantly got lost I did a lot of accidental grinding. :P

The issue I have with Nuzlocke is that it's incredibly easy... if you can be bothered to grind to high levels on really, really safe areas. It's really a tradeoff of skill vs. time.
In Gale of Darkness the AI was fairly decent.  They would use protect with earthquake, use stat boosting moves fairly often, and other things. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:33 am »

In the earliest pokemon games, the AI was always set to put typing into account. Even for moves that did no damage.

So, for example, if you were using a grass or ground type, the AI if using a pokemon that knew an ice type move would spam that constantly, even if it were a status move or similar - eg, a pokemon with Mist, which does nothing but prevent stat drops for a few turns, would spam Mist constantly on grass or ground types because it matched the type being super effective.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1574