Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The New Combat System  (Read 2113 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Combat System
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 09:40:28 pm »

well, from experience I can say that with four shields (mod) I never got hit once over the course of an adventure that lasted weeks irl...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:53 pm »

I just tried it on a group of human bandits, and it worked very neatly. Blocked every single bolt that I didn't dodge, and bashed two crossbowmen's guts out  :D

PS: I'm a novice MOU, so I'm quite giddy about how good this will be later on.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 10:59:40 pm »

There you go - Now remember to butcher the corpses when your done. The day isnt complete until some corpses have been butchered
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »

Sneaking up on people, grabbing them with your hand in wrestling mode, and then gouging their eyes out makes them basically worthless.

I went through a bunch of adventurers before I finally decided to do a ninja/wrestler. This may be the most fun I've had in a long time. You do pretty much anything to your foes if you sneak up on them. Hell, you can even lock and break their joints.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 11:28:39 pm »

Sneaking up on people, grabbing them with your hand in wrestling mode, and then gouging their eyes out makes them basically worthless.

I went through a bunch of adventurers before I finally decided to do a ninja/wrestler. This may be the most fun I've had in a long time. You do pretty much anything to your foes if you sneak up on them. Hell, you can even lock and break their joints.
Thats been the way for a little while, but never as well made as it is now, so it still stands...

Tear out their eyes, rip out their teeth, break all their bones and eat their throats.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:03 pm »

I found the new attack menu very helpful and intuitive, which is amazing considering this is DF. ;) Looking forward to seeing the wrestling menu getting the same treatment. I only have two complaints:

-Can't switch between wrestling and attacking menus after selecting a target.
-Embedded objects don't show up in the attack menu. I threw a spear at an enemy and it got stuck in their upper body. My first instinct was to run up and kick the spear the rest of the way through. Unfortunately that wasn't an option.

This system + the new maps have made adventure mode really fun. I can't wait to find a Minotaur.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:13 pm »

I never even thought to do anything with embedded objects - I tend to just rip them out...
And switching to wrestling after going to the strike menu would make sense, and vice versa.

But it isnt much of a complaint, more a minor hinderance

Aarik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 02:37:49 am »

Hmm...

How do you breath fire as a dragon?

I've been sitting here for like ten minutes trying to figure this out.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 03:06:20 am »

Hm... Thats interesting. f, or maybe t? Fire like you would an arrow, only... Fire?

But you are a dragon. Strip their flesh with your bare fangs, you need no weapons nor capabilities.

Aarik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:23 am »

I'm fighting a bronze colossus, I modded those to be batshit strong.

Racial average of 4500 in Strength and Toughness.

I also gave them the [CAN_LEARN] tag and its a Legendary Fighter, Wrestler, Striker, Kicker and Dodger, among other non legendary skills.

If I get close he's gonna bend me over backwards and shove me up my own ass.

But I modded Dragons to (once again) be able to fly, so I'm trying to snipe his ass from 5 z layers up.

So far all I'm succeeding in doing is sitting here looking retarded.

EIDT: Also, is their a way to make fire breath and fireballs use the Archer skill?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:18:13 am by Aarik »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 03:17:42 am »

Well, swoop down and rip his head to pieces with your bare teeth! Use your new capabilities!

Aarik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 03:24:24 am »

I bit his head.

About five turns later, and I'm on the ground with at least two of my legs broken, my right wing torn off, and being slowly beaten to death as I try to crawl away with pretty much everything at least brown.

Well, that didn't work.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 03:37:21 am »

Well, now Armok has your blood :p

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 03:48:43 am »

Hey guys, I noticed something about the aimed strikes menu. Have you noticed that a blue '!' sometimes appears at the end of a line ussually containing a particularly difficult to preform strike? Well I noticed that that symbol means there is an attack type (Kick, Stab, Etc.) that is sufficiently more accurate then the rest for that body part at the moment. This can allow you to easily score hits on otherwise untouchable body parts, as if they were unconcious. For instance, if the head itself could be marked as an 'imposible' strike and the eye is marked as 'can only graze', however, you have an a blue '!' for the eye and if the resulting powered up attack is blunt, you could easily take that and effectively smash their skull in.

Does anyone need clarification?

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53:14 am »

Hey guys, I noticed something about the aimed strikes menu. [...]
Look what I found. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3