Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69509 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 04:07:42 am »

I am curious why the doors to the hidey holes of Hags & co. dissapear after they are defeated. It means I can't use the place as a safe haven at night.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 04:12:41 am »

I am curious why the doors to the hidey holes of Hags & co. dissapear after they are defeated. It means I can't use the place as a safe haven at night.
They don't disappear, but if an item is on that tile they will remain open until it is moved.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 04:14:04 am »

They don't disappear, but if an item is on that tile they will remain open until it is moved.

I am fairly certain the hatch was gone for an old hole that I had cleared out when I chanced to pass that way again much later.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 04:15:25 am »

Hm, I've never observed them vanishing. I'll make a point to revisit some old lairs some time and see.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 04:16:16 am »

I was really annoyed, because there was no way I was getting back to civilization that night, weighed down as I was with Hydra-loot.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 04:33:11 am »

Bogeymen go away after you kill a few apparently. My axedwarf killed about 7 and they all vanished.

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:56 am »

*wipes blood from eyes*

I love this game so much... so so much...

I decided to take the 'direct' route to the lair of a night creature, starting at midday. Found it, stabbed it in the hand with a long sword (which I lost possession of) and had to punch / wrestle it to death. I lost an arm, an eye, both legs, and four teeth, but I got the bastard, right before bleeding to death. SO MUCH WIN!

Next adventurer was sent to a nearby area, I decided to check out the lair of the night creature, get my sword.

ITS FREAKING HUSBAND WAS THERE

I hacked it in the mouth, breaking two teeth, then in the leg, where it bled and gave my left lower-leg a red wound. I hacked it in the lower body until it bled to death, I grabbed my sword, and I slept.

I awoke to the sound of incessant cackling all around me. I hid in a choke-point in the lair, and watched as nine of the slavering brutes came in and took their lumps. I survived the night with the loss of my left hand, two fingers on my right hand, and an eye, but I *SURVIVED*. I slept again, woke at dawn, and slew the night creature, moving (wisely) to a local village where I regaled them with tales of conquest and adventure.

On traveling back to the quest-giver's fortress, I was ambushed by a particularly unruly vein of goblinite, and struck down.

I love how this game lets you taste victory before stabbing you to death by stinking green pedophiles

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 04:41:56 am »

Made a human demigod, spear, shield and dodge skill with some fighting skill.

On my way to the first quest, go kill some bandit

Suddenly: "Black Bear!"

A black bear ran up, mauled my leg, then ran off. He left me with permanent nerve damage, inability to stand, and a useless right leg.

WTF game?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2010, 04:44:41 am »

Made a human demigod, spear, shield and dodge skill with some fighting skill.

On my way to the first quest, go kill some bandit

Suddenly: "Black Bear!"

A black bear ran up, mauled my leg, then ran off. He left me with permanent nerve damage, inability to stand, and a useless right leg.

WTF game?

Didn't you know?

Games love to mock demigods.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2010, 04:48:30 am »

Next character, I go to kill the mate of some ogress.

First attack, he punches me through my stomach and blows my spine out my back.

WTF GAME?!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2010, 05:16:21 am »

I was playing adventure mode a good bit the last week or so...

And I can see all the improvements.

I got ambushed by Kobolds... and a pack of camels tore them apart! It was awesome.

I went and killed a troll... but before I could report it, I was ambushed by other humans in front of the fort I was using for quests...

Now I can't even figure out which one of my party members killed the troll... does it not come up if we didn't report it or something?

And I can't remember the troll's name... so I can't check that...

I kind of wish the historical maps had the names of specific sites on it. Then I could figure out the name of the troll's lair... once I know the name of the lair I could look it up and find the troll's name. But the historical maps only have Entities on it.

I guess I need to make a return trip and see.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2010, 05:51:10 am »

Check their weapons, closely, it shows their kills.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2010, 07:11:50 am »

So Toady's made a game in which horrific monstrosities stalk the land in a world where blood propagates on its own and all clothing slowly rots off and the inhabitants don't wear more.

Trying to open up the Japanese market I see.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:29 am »

har har, I'm new to this game (played it first one week ago), and I cannot win in adventure mode at all (31.16 was easier I guess). But it's one of the most awesome games around! keep it up.

Getting killed by a croc is not really cool :p I don't come close to rivers anymore now ;)

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2010, 07:51:12 am »

Hi, Toady, I just wanted to say that I've played the game for a while, on and off for maybe a year and a bit now, and when the April update I played it almost every day for a long time. I recently stopped, and have just been keeping track of the updates. I would say that this update is on par, or above the April update, in terms of gameplay add-ons. It literally opened up a whole other part of the game to me. Expect some money coming your way at the end of the month. Thank you.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18