Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69457 times)

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2010, 11:19:16 pm »

ALL GLORY TO THE TOADY ONE!

Same question about shops: how the hell do I find one? I've got a pile of loot from unfortunate bandit raiding parties that I need to offload, lol

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2010, 11:26:34 pm »

This is the best release you've done in the amount of time you've worked. This is seriously some really, really solid design coupled with really excellent changes.

Thank you, Toady. I hope to thank you with some of my money by the end of the month.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »

If I trade the shopkeeper something then leave when he owes me money, is that value cashed out in coin when I leave the screen or simply lost?

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »

This is awesome.

I was able to simultaneously bite a chimp's eyeball with one tooth and his left foot with another. I look forward to biting the ears off the heads of all my enemies.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2010, 11:50:50 pm »

If I trade the shopkeeper something then leave when he owes me money, is that value cashed out in coin when I leave the screen or simply lost?

he plops the coins down on the table in front of him, you have to pick them up manually.

I don't know if they stay there forever or if they vanish when you leave.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:32 pm »

he plops the coins down on the table in front of him, you have to pick them up manually.

I don't know if they stay there forever or if they vanish when you leave.
Doh! I really wish things would go into your inventory. Thanks!

This is awesome.

I was able to simultaneously bite a chimp's eyeball with one tooth and his left foot with another. I look forward to biting the ears off the heads of all my enemies.
Anyone mind giving me a primer on wrestling while we're at it? I have messed with it but really don't ever seem to be able to do stuff like that, or grabbing someone's weapon for example.

Rebirthocool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2010, 11:56:11 pm »

I had previously only dabbled in adventure mode. The awesomeness of this new release, and the potential for further complexity, is overwhelming. Toady, I am in your debt!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2010, 11:57:42 pm »

All hail Toady! I really love the sun/moon bar in the new version, it adds a dynamic tension to exploring. Love also how on the travel map the night "closes in on you" when it falls. It's actually quite scary, with a clear message of "you shouldn't be out there".

My first adventure was killing a leopard, a mission given by a cook. I found its lair and easily chopped it to pieces with my axe; I found the aimed attack interface very fun to use.
I slept in the leopard lair to avoid being jumped by night creatures .

The combat log with a funny experiment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two remarks:
  • Even though the only enemy around was the leopard, it still asked me which creature I wanted to attack (and the only choice was the leopard). When there's only one adjacent enemy creature, picking it automatically as the target would make sense.
  • The leopard was actually way too easy to kill, since, you know... I was equipped with an axe not a machine gun. Miss this kind of beast once when it jumps at you and you should be pinned to the ground, unable to use any weapon bigger than a dagger (if you had it in hand already). Then depending on whether you have a lot of armor or a little you should get ripped to shreds either fast or very fast. (And I'll purposedly ignore the biting hilarity in the log above =) ).
    Unless it changed recently the same problem affects war dogs, who used to make short work of goblins in 40d and are now minced meat in DF2010 (even a layer of regular clothing deflects 90% of the dog's attacks).
All in all thanks for a great release, I can't wait to try Dwarf mode as well.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 12:08:09 am »

forsaken your avatar is freaking me out man.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2010, 12:11:41 am »

(*)fixed problem with baron not arriving due to stale merchant reports

Does this mean Barons are no longer bugged? As in, you have to delay your mayor speaking with the liaison until the merchants leave?

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:28 am »

Holy cow, bow/x-bow firing rate is glacially slow!  Or, at least, when I try to fire at an enemy who's 10 squares away, he has time to walk over and start melee attacking me before I can finish firing the shot.  This is with Dabbling Archer and Dabbling Bowman skill levels, if that makes a difference.

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:40 am »

Just in time for the weekend.

Yay Toady. You are awesome.

But there goes my sleeping pattern this weekend :(
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:18 am »

I'm noticing in Legends that a lot of kids are getting kidnapped multiple times. As in, they're abducted to a dark tower where they are in turn abducted again, sometimes by the same goblin civilization.

I don't even know if that's a bug or not.

Also, mates of beasts are no joke. As in, they will punch and kick and eat you alive. I entered a cave that housed two such mates (of a "vile ogre") with an archer and a swordsman. We all died.

Before I quit I did notice a pile of fat on the floor that was tied to a name. I searched the name in Legends, and discovered the fat belonged to a 7 year old boy that was killed by one of the ogre mates in the town he lived with his parents in. Evidently they dragged the corpse back to their den and butchered the remains.

So yeah. They hunt humans for food.

Dear fucking god.

Russell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:41 am »

Wow looks like a great update. Haven't ever really tried Adventurer Mode. When I finish work this evening I'll be downloading and giving it a shot. Sounds like great fun

Thank you, Toady. I hope to thank you with some of my money by the end of the month.

Likewise. I think overall I've played Dwarf Fortress more then any other game lately. And I only recently bought a Nintendo Wii with Mario Kart! If I'm willing to throw money at a Wii game then I must most definitely donate some to Toady.

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:59 am »

Are the migrant nobles that had odd issues - the dungeon master, tax collector, hammerer, etc - all fixed too, or just the baron?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18