Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.  (Read 7690 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2010, 05:50:20 am »

Everyone here disagree with that statement. Nikov is almost the only republican on this forum, last poll they were nine, of sixty, to vote for them. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69575.0
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2010, 06:52:00 am »

How about all citizens can vote except those convicted of a felony?

This means that a government would pardon crimes of their supporters and convict opposition who do only minor crimes like software piracy, shoplifting, and sodomy.

That's generally the problem with meritocracy. It's very prone to corruption. Anything that requires an intelligence test to vote is possible to be corrupted by giving intelligence test that favors the people they want. History tests allow revisionism - "Who destroyed the WTC? Saddam Hussein." "Who won the Vietnam war? America lost tactically, but it was a strategic victory." "Was Hitler evil? Yes."

IQ tests or any aptitude tests are generally stupid - they only judge your capability in certain things, not your capability of judging someone politically. Meritocracy, like despotism, works great on the Internet, horribly when it involves money and people's lives.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2010, 06:57:14 am »

And only giving right to vote to poeple with degree would create horrid inequities.
Really Redking, how could you submit this idea?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2010, 07:08:14 am »

I like the idea that voting becomes a privilege that you earn, or can lose. But the possiblities and implications of it being abused are far, far to high for me to be convinced at the moment. If you had to earn the right to vote, then people might take it a lot more seriously.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2010, 07:15:56 am »

Everyone here disagree with that statement. Nikov is almost the only republican on this forum, last poll they were nine, of sixty, to vote for them. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69575.0

Lol, B12ers have been brainwashed by LCS. Who said that games don't influence political thought?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »

In a perfect world the philosophy of Ayn Rand would be perfect. However this is not a perfect road so obviously some accomodations must be made. The sanction of the victim does not mean you should not read books by authors opposed to Ayn Rand. It means you should read them and consider the points they make, and then decide whether they are valid or not. Cue surge of left wing arguements and rage about Rand being anti-workers ... Now!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2010, 04:13:57 pm »

In a perfect world the philosophy of Ayn Rand would be perfect.

Cool story, bro.

I should note that others have claimed the same of their preferred ideas.  Does Marxism ring a bell?

Also, I find this amusing:  Your wording implies that Ayn Rand's philosophy is flawed in this world and that, somehow, it would be different (improved, even) in a perfect world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

I was about to say, I hope I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that Ayn Rand's "philosophies" are full of shit, whether in this world, a perfect one, green-sky world, or any other.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »

Lol, B12ers have been brainwashed by LCS. Who said that games don't influence political thought?

Maybe it's because only Liberals could truly understand a game about herding tiny beared men through a maze into giant pits of magma.

...wait, what?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »

What I meant was they, like any other philosphy, will not function in the current world as there will always be those who will lie, cheat and steal to get ahead. This is why all philosophies end up failing miserably if instituted into the world. See USSR, North Korea. Countries that took philosophies and watered them down to achieve an actually achievable world view: China (no seriously, they may be morally repugnant but they certainly have an effective way of dealing with the world), USA.

This is just like civics class... Oh well, your entitled to your opinions and I am to mine.

Also what are your views? I would appreciate a cjance to reply to this criticism by pointing out the failures of your philosophies as well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »

I was about to say, I hope I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that Ayn Rand's "philosophies" are full of shit, whether in this world, a perfect one, green-sky world, or any other.
I agree.

Saying it works in a "perfect world" is weird, because ANY system, no matter how retarded, would work in a perfect world.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 04:53:45 pm »

I love how perfect world always translates to "simplified model of the real world wherein we selectively ignore some factors" (key word:  selectively).  Perfection always seems to simplify, as though complexity is inherently flawed.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »

By perfect worls I mean one in which everyone works hard to earn there wealth, does not lie, cheat or steal and I feel that everyone should feel free to do asthey wish so long as they do not violate the rights of others. Is there anything wrong with that? Because that is what Objectivism boils down to. As opposed to communism which argues the productive should be enslaved to some undefinable "common good" which acts as an excuse for the priesthood, or in a modern sense the government to leach off of those productive people. This has been the default moral code for humans since the beginning because the priests saw a chance to better their own standing. They aregue for "self-sacrifice" because if everyone is sacrificing they may be the ones to collect the sacrifices. Like tithing in the judeo-christian faith.

Also as I asked earlier what are your philosophies? I would like to know so I can elucidate upon their fallacies. Please don't ignore that request again it is unfair to leave me unable to reply in kind to you.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:55 pm »

Working hard is undefinable.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 05:30:37 pm »

By perfect worls I mean one in which everyone works hard to earn there wealth, does not lie, cheat or steal and I feel that everyone should feel free to do asthey wish so long as they do not violate the rights of others.

Is it just me or does that look a lot like the world in which communism would work well, except in communism you'd have the state upholding enough things the world could be slightly less perfect (but not as bad as this one).

Though I do have to admit I know very little about Ayn Rand's philosophy. I imagine most people in the UK don't even know who they are.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12