Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!Bed!!  (Read 2542 times)

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Bed!!
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:43 am »

I've just had the most wonderful idea!  What if a room full of furniture mysteriously caught fire, and happened to be assigned to my noblemen?  Further, what if all of the furniture pieces were artifacts and could not be destroyed?  Could I simply assign the room to the current and all future dukes/duchesses?  Would they sleep in such conditions?  Would they be ecstatic about it? 

What is the most efficient way to construct this?

What is the most dwarven way?  I'm thinking I might need a dragon to light the furniture...   

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: !!Bed!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:47 am »

I'm pretty sure that furniture is just like goods are for dwarves. To be used one way or another, no matter if they're on fire or not. So even a !!object!! will get hauled, or a !!furniture!! will get used.

Dropping 1/7 magma on the bed should be enough to set it on fire without having to catch a dragon.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:31:43 am »

But if it is a built bed (a building, not a bed object sitting around in a stockpile) then will it catch on fire?  I'm thinking probably not, but I wonder if you could get it to catch on fire and then have a (very quick) dwarf build it into a bed?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:43:39 am »

I've seen dwarves on fire go take a nap or go rest on beds, which also caught fire.
The heat generated apparently ignites anything appropriate on the same tile. Only exception I can think of would be nether-cap furniture, or whatever those UG trees with a fixed temp were again.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:18:34 am »

It should be easy. 
Step 1:  Acquire a set of flammable, artifact furniture (table, chair, bed, cabinet/coffer, armor/weapon stand/rack, and door)
step 2:  Place artifact furniture in magma chamber
step 3:  Flood with magma
step 4:  Drain chamber
step 5:  Turn off temperature
step 6:  build furniture
step 7:  assign room
step 8:  turn temperature on.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

whatsamagiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:31 am »

two words

lignite room

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:12 am »

two words

lignite room
The problem is constructions wont burn.  So you would need a lignite bridge and lignite furniture.  But lignite furniture would eventually burn away.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:15 am »

cover the floor in a 'carpet' of cloth ropes?

nether-cap furniture, or whatever those UG trees with a fixed temp were again.
nether-cap is correct, it's fixed temp is 10000; which is at the freezing point of water. Don't make buckets out of this material! :o
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:06:01 am »

I had an Artifact Lignite door once... but, that was in a weird world with no lava....

The topic is making me sleepy, off to !!Bed!!.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:37:36 am »

Artifacts can be destroyed, and whoever made them will go mad when that happens.  Otherwise it's a pretty good plan, just make sure to lock the door to prevent !!fun!! for all.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:22:19 am »

I've just had the most wonderful idea!  What if a room full of furniture mysteriously caught fire, and happened to be assigned to my noblemen?  Further, what if all of the furniture pieces were artifacts and could not be destroyed?  Could I simply assign the room to the current and all future dukes/duchesses?  Would they sleep in such conditions?  Would they be ecstatic about it? 

What is the most efficient way to construct this?

What is the most dwarven way?  I'm thinking I might need a dragon to light the furniture...   

I just had the most beautiful idea of a noble's room with nothing but lignite furniture, even the door and an artifact lignite bed (or just mod the files so beds can be made from rocks).  It made me giggle for more than 15 seconds so I probably shouldn't do it, but it'd be so awesome.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:01 am »

nether-cap is correct, it's fixed temp is 10000; which is at the freezing point of water. Don't make buckets out of this material! :o

So it'd be a functional idea to make a noble disposal room that has nethercap furniture, noble goes in, magma goes in, noble is burnt to crisp, but the furniture is unharmed. Flush magma, room is usable again with no hint to the horrors that occurred there.

Although I guess you could use any magma-safe furniture, metals or stone for the same functionality.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:44:46 am »

Although I guess you could use any magma-safe furniture, metals or stone for the same functionality.

two words

lignite room
I suggest using graphite instead, as IIRC it's immune to fire damage but flammable.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 07:00:51 am »

I believe you could mod in stone beds.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 08:50:22 am »

I suggest using graphite instead, as IIRC it's immune to fire damage but flammable.
Where did you hear that?  Graphite should take damage from fire like any other flammable material.

Artifacts are supposedly immune from fire damage because artifacts can't be gradually destroyed.  Artifacts can be instantly destroyed by bridges or caveins or similar means, but don't wear out gradually.  Fire does damage gradually, essentially wearing the object away, so artifacts should be immune to fire and burn forever.  I haven't tested this myself and don't know if it actually works this way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2