A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142698 times)

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1710 on: November 17, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »

I see a major problem in that everyone will be asleep at the same time for 6 hours out of the day. Asking for at least two volunteers to do night shift. Perhaps Adil as she appears to be more of a scout character (though I ask that she please take her crossbow with her) and Shem (as he has a good deal of military experience).

As far as leadership goes, Shem is out of the question as he is already in command of our defense (yes, militia commander(and to be upgraded higher once our population rises, assuming he doesn't go out of his way to screw things up)). And I see that leaving the two most likely candidates as being Norrec and Kogan. The only problem is that I know little of Kogan's personality, and do not even know if he wishes to be a second in command. Could he please say whether or not he wants to be second in command and why?

Naturally we should have a central shaft of up/down stairs and rooms radiating out from those on each floor. The only concern about that is how far we let caravans in, but otherwise going up or down Z-levels keeps the whole fort closer together.

I agree completely with this, though I think Kog's ground plan will suffice for now and we can add in a staircase later. Ideally I would later like to see an entire z-level dedicated to all industrial type workshops with the resource stockpile (pretty much everything except food/drink) to be one z-level above or below. Once again I am most open to suggestions, but for now I see this as being the most efficient setup (as well as the most defensive as there is only one true entrance from which we would need to defend). My schedule coming soon after we have identified who will be on "night-shift".

Edit: Perhaps Shem should base his sleeping schedule around being partially awake for both the night AND day shift, as he will be needed for either if we are attacked. Or perhaps we should wait to see when baddies most often prefer to attack?

And exactly how many days will it be before we are to expect another caravan? And how often will plants be ripe after being planted?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:35:43 pm by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 17, 2010, 12:27:11 pm »

I see a major problem in that everyone will be asleep at the same time for 6 hours out of the day. Asking for at least two volunteers to do night shift. Perhaps Adil as she appears to be more of a scout character (though I ask that she please take her crossbow with her) and Shem (as he has a good deal of military experience).

I agree, except that Adil has poor darkvision (related to being a surfacer).  It should probably be someone who took improved darkvision.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 17, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »

Could [Kogan] please say whether or not he wants to be second in command and why?
Yes, of course Kogan does. Publicly, he wants power so somebody else can't just stifle his creativity again, and because he worships a god of ambition. Privately, he also wants power so he can do a better job of killing goblins. He also is afraid of Norrec getting power over him, due to the whole jumping-into-shadows-like-a-traitor thing.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 17, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »

You're expecting another caravan sometime in early autumn. 7-8 months, 196-224 days. You can definitely stretch your supplies out through various methods. There's just enough warmth in the year to grow one 6-month cycle of crops.

Right now the moon is giving half-light at night, but soon it will be full-light for about a week. Unless it gets blocked out by clouds, that is.

As for magma, doesn't piercing the mantle create volcanoes?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:09:56 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 17, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »

gruel...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 17, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

... We're not going to make it on supplies like this >.>  Not unless planting shortens it's collection time (you know, like it does in DF)

Also, as it relates to magma, whether or not it creates a "volcano" is purely based on how much pressure there is at the area where you breach.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:18:52 pm by V-Norrec »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 17, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »

If some of the crossbowdwarves go out and bag a few good sized animals, we should be able to make it until we have a fairly stable food base.
Maybe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:39 pm »

Hunting and fishing might help. Stewing vermin caught by our wonderful kittens should help a bit.

I'm much more worried about our light source supplies for working underground, where we belong.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 17, 2010, 03:19:53 pm »

Um... We could get more by buying from the village or such. We need a cart but the iron golem would really help.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 17, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

We can send everyone that isn't doing something extremely useful to help plant/hunt/gather. At the VERY least we can send everyone out to pick their own food. We can also go for two meals a day... Or perhaps have half of the dwarves only have two meals while the other has three, then switch out every day. We can make it work.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 17, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »

Yeah, if I could make that bowl thing that would be great for stews. Yeah, I don't mind starving a little.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 17, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »

That's why I said we needed more Lantern Fungi at the beginning.  Or we might just all be working the darkness.  Maybe we'll all get that nifty Dark Vision trait.

I still think farming is going to be unsustainable with 1/2 - full year growth cycles.  We won't be able to produce food as fast as we can eat it unless we have a farm that's about 6,000 plots large.  That's a full half year's food supply for 10 dwarves, and that doesn't include alcohol, so really it'd be more like 12,000 per 10 dwarves.  We need faster growth times I think.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 17, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »

Also, another idea. Would it be possible to have an inbuilt greenhouse into the mountain? Like make farm plots one z-level below the top of the cliff, then channel out the roof and replace it with glass.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:25 pm »

I'm much more worried about our light source supplies for working underground, where we belong.
As long as we don't go too far in and stay on the same level until the lantern plants are grown, we should be able to squeeze emough light out of our glow scarab.

(Maybe we should ask the caravan to bring another, so we could have a breeding pair?)

As for food, by my count we have 2780 meals and 840 alcohal (not counting the pure stuff), so we could survive for about a month without producing anything and without rationing.

By brewing the plump helmets, we can trade our food supply for booze on a 1->5 rate (unless its different than the game?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:35:18 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »

That's why I said we needed more Lantern Fungi at the beginning.  Or we might just all be working the darkness.  Maybe we'll all get that nifty Dark Vision trait.

I still think farming is going to be unsustainable with 1/2 - full year growth cycles.  We won't be able to produce food as fast as we can eat it unless we have a farm that's about 6,000 plots large.  That's a full half year's food supply for 10 dwarves, and that doesn't include alcohol, so really it'd be more like 12,000 per 10 dwarves.  We need faster growth times I think.

Wait did we get our actions back or something?  I probably missed something, I have no idea how much food I can gather or grow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 249