A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142708 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1875 on: November 18, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »

That's impossible to say unless we know how much food they produce. Skilled dwarves might be better at actually bringing them all back without incident, as well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 19, 2010, 12:07:59 am »

Well, when we have so many other tasks that need doing however, it would be a waste of labor.  Let us focus for a time on getting the fields set up and the base level dug out, then we can begin trying to herd animals.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: November 19, 2010, 12:22:35 am »

That's the thing, though. Unless the fields are all we need, herding animals could be a more efficient (or as efficient) way to get food. I wouldn't particularly count on it, but the chickens are supposedly no-maintenance meal-producers, so it might stand to reason that needier livestock are high-maintenance supermeal-producers.

I agree we have other things to focus on, but I don't see it as being less important than the fields, seeing as it's the same goal. Unless we find out it's less efficient/useful in the short run, of course.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26:46 am »

Spoiler: Adjusted Digging Plan (click to show/hide)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 19, 2010, 12:33:23 am »

Gar, do you really need a special room already, when we don't even have cave farmland slated to be built >.>

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:19 am »

His workshop area doesn't take up much space, and the farm area can just be put in E with the kitchen across the hall. The dining hall(for now) can be placed in D, and the first staircases up/down down can be placed in F.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: November 19, 2010, 12:44:16 am »

So if you dig out ventilation corridors above, how do they connect to the outside?? It's a weak point, remember.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: November 19, 2010, 12:50:08 am »

Just put the daggon forge outside for the moment and convert the area into cave farm area.  We'll worry about ventilation later (i.e. when we build up 10 levels from where we are now. Btw I recommend we put all our living quarters up among the cliffs because A) it'd look awesome, B) we could build a nice greenhouse to grow surface plants and regular plants right next to each other.  C)  Easier to build chimneys for the forges.  D)  Sedimentary layers are usually closer to the top which grant us some iron to work with.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:51:47 am by V-Norrec »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:46 am »

We could convert D or E into a makeshift farm pretty easily.

As for ventilation, a series of grates coupled with the it opening into the cliff face (probably) should keep invaders out.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: November 19, 2010, 12:54:58 am »

Ventilation has to be full corridors and not just crawlspaces, then? Well, then they can either go up several Z's or connect horizontally to the outside; we're gonna want to grate any opening that we're not using as an exit.

And fine, I can forge outside, but I'm still going to dig the dark pink area of DIGGING PLAN GAR-ALPHA. I need a space in the mountain where I can set up an office and make some drawings.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

Until later, when that will be a liability.  We'll want secure chimneys made of smoothed stone 10 or 15 Z levels high on top eventually which if you fall down will lead directly to our magma forges so we'll get crispy goblin if they ever try to climb up them and drop down.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:12 am »

You can also use shafts for illumination. Good for permanent, fire-free lighting. Mirrors can be used for getting light around corners.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:22 am »

Just CoughDrop, Hastur, and Lillipad who haven't given actions, I think.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: November 19, 2010, 01:09:13 am »

I don't have any changes to my actions.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: November 19, 2010, 03:33:54 am »

Spoiler: Changes to the plan (click to show/hide)

I'd like to see these changes implemented, post haste! 
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 249