A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142789 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1890 on: November 19, 2010, 05:00:18 am »

Sound like a good idea, but are we going to not build food storage and a sleeping area?

Also, no way in hell am I going to pierce the river at the same level as the tunnel - I'd prefer not to die by drowning. A nice, safe channel from above will do the trick, I think.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: November 19, 2010, 09:18:37 am »

meh, I just grabbed the map from the official update, I'm assumping you guys can add it to your much better looking plans.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: November 19, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »

Yeah, I'd feel much, much better if we had a screw pump leading to the reservoir. Sure, it's not automatic, but we have complete control over what goes wrong.

If we were going to, however, piercing it while still frozen would be both safe and more secure, since it wouldn't immediately be apparent that we're getting water from it. Plus it would keep bugs out, or something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 19, 2010, 12:55:01 pm »

When planning ventilation shafts, give me some room directly beneath them to prepare some traps. If we put heavy metal grates at the ends of the shafts, we can also have trap triggers in the forge rooms, so anybody inside can kill the would-be invaders while they're helpless.

Naturally, removing or moving the grates will also trigger some sort of lethal trap.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: November 19, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

Irony has a good point. Do you want to focus on the irrigation while its still frozen?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:45 pm »

I think digging out the southernmost rooms would be best, for now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: November 19, 2010, 04:55:54 pm »

I suspect we won't need or be able to produce a cistern until next winter anyway, but worst case we'd just need an extra hole for the screw pump to dump into, since the rest would look pretty much identical except for where it digs directly into the river.

So, for now I'd say the non-cistern parts are more important. We can dump buckets of water on the farmland to get it going before we have a full water system working anyway.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: November 19, 2010, 07:46:37 pm »

We need a cistern though Irony, so that we can store water for farming and drinking.  Also, waiting is boring >.>

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 19, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »

Eventually yeah, but I would think the fields should come first. Aside from sieges, that's the main reason we'd want a cistern, right?

I'd still prefer a setup where you have to use a screw pump to fill the cistern, too, so I don't personally see any reason to rush on account of the ice melting soon.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:50 pm »

Having a closer water source will make it much more efficient however.  Also, it'd just be needlessly complicated to include a screw pump design when we can just use the natural pressure

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: November 19, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »

I'm in favor of the added layer of defensive redundancy a pump provides.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 19, 2010, 08:10:38 pm »

Therein lies the problem. If we use natural pressure, we use natural pressure, whether we want to or not. If we use a screw pump, we only have to deal with as much water as we intentionally pump in there.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:34 pm »

Except if the pump gets destroyed, we're out of water, a system of grates and floodgates will suffice perfectly well.

And natural pressure can make it flood.  Water can't rise like that, also that's what the floodgates are for, in case for some reason there is a risk for a flood.  It's much simpler and simple means we can get it set up sooner.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 19, 2010, 08:18:56 pm »

If we need to worry about the pump getting destroyed, I'm not sure how little we should be concerned with the floodgate getting taken out. Besides, the whole point of a cistern is to store water; unless we get hit at a bad time or sieged for a long time, we shouldn't have to worry about it. And if we do, again, they probably control the courtyard well enough that they might think about going in through the river.

Water can flood anyplace lower than it. Unless we want to only build upwards, it might be an issue. If anything, it's simpler with a screw pump, because we don't need any redundancy, and it would use largely the same system except for the three tiles closest to the river anyway.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 19, 2010, 09:33:15 pm »

But having a pump places the water on the same level as the fortress, it'd be much better to have the water underneath the fortress in a cistern, then we could simply build our fortress around the cistern.  Simple is ultimately going to be the easiest to maintain until we get down to the cavern levels.  At that point we can just say fuck it all and let it fall into disrepair.  Also we could place plenty of traps in the corridor between the grates and the floodgates, then nobody would be able to get through, even if they could say breathe underwater or managed to drain that section of the river.

I wish CoughDrop was here to settle this argument and post his turn so we could get on to Day 3.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 249