Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28241 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »

Cool, someone decided to completely derail this into a rant about why it's okay to torture during wartime. That's super helpful and relevant.
Skimming through the last eight pages, most of it hasn't been about the original topic. You asked a question, I gave an answer.

Plus, lots of relationships are pure torture. Marriage? Don't even get me started.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

If it's really that horrible then people wouldn't do it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

You need somebody to do your laundry after your parents kick you out. No clue why women get into it, though. Jars, I guess?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

Generalizations? I don't think you realize just how anti-woman just about everyone on earth is. I can't really name any man from the top of my head that doesn't seem to think that we are rather superior to women in every way imaginable. Some are just lying through their teeth about the way they really feel. You may have convinced yourself that you're pretty fine when it comes to equality, but in reality, if you look very critically, you too will see that you're just as bad as it gets.
This is an incredibly ignorant and harmful way of thinking.
It's still true, though. When you divide people into two groups according to some trait, everyone will think that their own group is superior for no objective reason. In this example it's gender, but you'll get the same with hair colour, body type, political views, any sort of personality trait or even something as trivial as musical preferences.

It's not "still true". Did you even read the rest of my post? I agreed that everyone has some level of prejudice regarding a number of different things, but there's a huge difference between that and "you're just as bad as it gets no matter who you are".
I should've worded that differently. Of course, suppressing women is worse then only thinking about suppressing women, but I don't think we should put up with people thinking about suppressing women that easily. Of course you can't demand someone not to think something, but accepting it as normal that people think that way leaves the door open for oppression. Thus far I havn't seen anyone making a real effort in changing the hearts and minds of people though and I am afraid that nothing short of active oppression or if necessary even active removal of the undesirable elements will work...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:46 pm »

Thus far I havn't seen anyone making a real effort in changing the hearts and minds of people though and I am afraid that nothing short of active oppression or if necessary even active removal of the undesirable elements will work...

I agreed with you up to this point. What do you even mean by "active removal of the undesirable elements"? Or "active oppression"? Of who?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »

Once we [humans] have a perfect science of the brain, we could forcibly remove undesirable thoughts, permanently. Muhahahahahahaha.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »

I would hope that simply pointing it out at every possible occasion would work, but if that doesn't work, and it likely won't, then more severe actions have to be taken, ranging from intervening in children's education to forbidding any misogynistic actions for the broadest possible definition of both  misogynistic and action or setting quota on the amount of men allowed in positions that have a strong influence on society. Personally I'm in favor of identifying and curing any misogynistic tendencies in children as early as possible and keeping this up all trough childhood. Basically, complete eradication of the concept of women as a inferior group.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

Ah, ideals are great. I do agree with the idea, and independent of the nature-vs-nurture debate, I'm sure a major part of the problem can be fixed through nurture.

And for the cases where it doesn't, I suppose all you can do is tell them they're being jerks and hope it sinks in eventually, so they at least stop outwardly expressing their unsavory opinions.

Or mandatory brain-tinkering. >8y
I can see it now.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »

The human is a product of its environment. As such, society need only tear down the walls of seperation between the genders and educate and raise children accordingly. Of course, this tearing down of walls is the most difficult step.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 04:55:55 pm »

The problem is people thinking the world right now is fine and denying that deep inside everyone hates women, even the women.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »

If we're all going to upload our minds to a super-sentient AI one day, we better get a jump-start on everyone getting along with everyone in all cases, since we're gonna have to deal with each other until the heat-death of the Universe.
I can see it now.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:45 pm »

The problem is people thinking the world right now is fine and denying that deep inside everyone hates women, even the women.

This.  Except without the word "everyone," because I can't speak for everyone--just what I've seen from a lot of people, including myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2010, 05:04:06 pm »

Prove it.

EDIT: How in the world did I manage that?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:10:43 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »

(That was my quote, not Vector's)

What kind of proof do you want?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23