Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28206 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2010, 12:00:06 pm »

Please stop saying moan.

I have a dirty enough mind as it is ;3;

It's a perfectly fine word.
You better get used to hearing it.

I doubt he'll be hearing much moaning at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

So you're appealing to us, to be more mindful about what we say and to whom, am I getting this right?
If yes, then alright, message received.

Yes, that's it :3

Thank you~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2010, 07:05:37 am »

Generalizations? I don't think you realize just how anti-woman just about everyone on earth is. I can't really name any man from the top of my head that doesn't seem to think that we are rather superior to women in every way imaginable. Some are just lying through their teeth about the way they really feel. You may have convinced yourself that you're pretty fine when it comes to equality, but in reality, if you look very critically, you too will see that you're just as bad as it gets.
This is an incredibly ignorant and harmful way of thinking.
It's still true, though. When you divide people into two groups according to some trait, everyone will think that their own group is superior for no objective reason. In this example it's gender, but you'll get the same with hair colour, body type, political views, any sort of personality trait or even something as trivial as musical preferences.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:53 am »

It's also good to remember that most people do not act on their prejudices consciously but instead have it ingrained in their habits and do without thinking about it. That's what's so horrible about modern society, everyone thinks they're nice to women/minorities/other groups because they don't actively discriminate, but at the same time nobody realy acts against passive discrimination.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:53 am »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »

Generalizations? I don't think you realize just how anti-woman just about everyone on earth is. I can't really name any man from the top of my head that doesn't seem to think that we are rather superior to women in every way imaginable. Some are just lying through their teeth about the way they really feel. You may have convinced yourself that you're pretty fine when it comes to equality, but in reality, if you look very critically, you too will see that you're just as bad as it gets.
This is an incredibly ignorant and harmful way of thinking.
It's still true, though. When you divide people into two groups according to some trait, everyone will think that their own group is superior for no objective reason. In this example it's gender, but you'll get the same with hair colour, body type, political views, any sort of personality trait or even something as trivial as musical preferences.

It's not "still true". Did you even read the rest of my post? I agreed that everyone has some level of prejudice regarding a number of different things, but there's a huge difference between that and "you're just as bad as it gets no matter who you are".

Also: How can a way of thinking be both ignorant and true?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:23:50 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

Also: How can a way of thinking be both ignorant and true?

Religion? Just random interjection here. It could be true, but the level of ignorance people have taken it to (mostly as a way to control people in a way they see fit) isn't exactly fitting for the original message.

Bleeding heart liberals are, in some form, true, but ultimately misguided as well. You can't save everyone, you can't put everyone in prison, you can't NOT resort to the same tactics that enemies use on our own troops; all is fair in war, but we have people who decide they think they know better or that we're "morally superior" to other people. I would like to think that we're "better" than the "enemy" we have made because we don't use such tactics, but at least I acknowledge their effectiveness during war, where hundreds could be saved by the actions of a few.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »

Cool, someone decided to completely derail this into a rant about why it's okay to torture during wartime. That's super helpful and relevant.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2010, 03:33:18 pm »

Astral; I'm pretty sure that matter can't just be laid aside like that. Retaining moral high ground over the death of troops or vice-versa is a much more trickier question. It's a question about greater good or dirty efficiency.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »

Oh yeah, like the rant was perfectly on track with nothing but constructive advice about relationships before.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »

Oh yeah, like the rant was perfectly on track with nothing but constructive advice about relationships before.

Given that we're talking about heterosexual relationships, which tend to include women, some of which may have strong opinions about being women and what that means:

Yes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »

Some POWs are women ;D

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2010, 03:54:49 pm »

Some heterosexual realtionship are torturous.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »

Some heterosexual relationships save the lives of hundreds of people.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2010, 04:08:10 pm »

And some should be tried in Hague.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23