Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: water pressures  (Read 1601 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
water pressures
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:31 am »

I've got water shafts coming off various points of a pump stack, designed on the assumption that the water will rise no higher than the z-level of the output. But each level of the stack has a grate to suck water from, and I assume some runoff goes back down. Will the runoff blend with the pressure of the room it's fallen to, or will that room's water take on the pressure of the above stack?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: water pressures
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:17:09 pm »

I've got water shafts coming off various points of a pump stack, designed on the assumption that the water will rise no higher than the z-level of the output. But each level of the stack has a grate to suck water from, and I assume some runoff goes back down. Will the runoff blend with the pressure of the room it's fallen to, or will that room's water take on the pressure of the above stack?

You assume too much, there is no 'runoff' on the input side of a pump, the pump sucks up every bit of water from the z level below the input and shoves it out the output side, simple as that.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:09 pm »

You're assuming that the water pushed forward doesn't circle back, which in typical water reactor designs, it does. Each level is in an enclosed room with a pump and a waterwheel, and the rooms fill completely when the stack reaches full power. So, can runoff occur in this instance?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:24:32 pm by Uzu Bash »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:30:21 pm »

I am sorry but you are going to have to provide some screenshots or diagrams, I am failing to see what you are describing.  And what do you mean by 'runoff' exactly?  Are you saying that your pump stack is engineered so as to have a reactor on every single level?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:32:18 pm by gtmattz »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:43:52 pm »

I will direct your attention to this thread on hydrodynamics in DF.  If I had more time I'd write up the discussion in that thread on the wiki, but I'm far too lazy.  I'll give five internets to anyone that does, though.
At last, she is done.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:26:30 pm »

Diagram:

XXXXX
XW~XX
XWp+X
XWp+X
XXg+X
XXXXX

You could puzzle that out and make all sorts of comments that would be far from the short answer I'm really looking for, or you could take my word for it that the output water is going to surround the pump, including the tile that it's inputting from.

I will direct your attention to this thread on hydrodynamics in DF.
That's a nice thesis, you should be proud. Doesn't answer the question, though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:28:40 pm by Uzu Bash »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:34:05 pm »

Diagram:

XXXXX
XW~XX
XWp+X
XWp+X
XXg+X
XXXXX

You could puzzle that out and make all sorts of comments that would be far from the short answer I'm really looking for, or you could take my word for it that the output water is going to surround the pump, including the tile that it's inputting from.

I will direct your attention to this thread on hydrodynamics in DF.
That's a nice thesis, you should be proud. Doesn't answer the question, though.

In this case, yes it will , since the output of the pump is not isolated from the input.  The basics of a pump is that it pressurizes water to the Z level of the output, so as long as there is source water, and room for water to go, then the pump will attempt to fill the available area, so the answer for this specific situation is that the water can run down the grate, so it will most definitely pressurise the level below.  If this is your pump stack setup then the whole stack will be pressurized up to the level of the highest pump.

Usually you will have a seperate room full of reactors that power the pump stack from one location, not a water wheel on every level, since one wheel can power quite a few pumps, having a reactor setup on each pump is quite overkill.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:40:34 pm by gtmattz »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:43:37 pm »

Alright, so if the water falls to water on a z-level being pressurized by another pump, does it become included in that pressure, or does the water it enters take on the pressure from the higher z-level?

If I have a water tunnel coming off a reactor stack that goes 10 levels higher, will the pressure output of that tunnel go 10 levels higher, or remain at the same level as the pump?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:46:47 pm »

If the stack is completely fiilled with 7/7 water, then yes all that water is pressurized to the level of the highest pump (or the highest pump which is pumping into 7/7 water), as you have an unbroken path from the highest point that the pump is sending water into.  And to be clear, I am talking specifically about this setup you drew here, and NOT a typical pump stack, which isolates each layer of water.  BTW, that hydrodynamics thread linked definitely DOES answer your question.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:50:31 pm by gtmattz »

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 03:50:06 pm »

Alright, so if the water falls to water on a z-level being pressurized by another pump, does it become included in that pressure, or does the water it enters take on the pressure from the higher z-level?

If I have a water tunnel coming off a reactor stack that goes 10 levels higher, will the pressure output of that tunnel go 10 levels higher, or remain at the same level as the pump?
As I understand it, no, you'd only have the pressure of the highest z-level pump. Pressure isn't additive, or you could do some really fun things with sequential pumps.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »

BTW, if you really are not getting the answers you need from this thread, you can always generate a new world, mod your dwarves for [SPEED:1][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK], turn off invaders, and TEST IT.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »

Ah. It's good I have an emergency outlet on the same level. I'm trying to get the levels to rise in some shafts, that's why I didn't depressurize their route lines, but I don't want them to completely overflow. Does having a clear output on the top level make any difference in pressure on the lower levels?

BTW, if you really are not getting the answers you need from this thread, you can always generate a new world, mod your dwarves for [SPEED:1][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK], turn off invaders, and TEST IT.
Well, I was hoping to get answers without killing dwarves or cheating, but if it comes down to it, I'll kill some dwarves for spading first and cheat later.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 05:25:55 pm »

[SPEED:1][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK], turn off invaders, and TEST IT.
I may steal that suggestion myself. I've wanted to mess around with some of the fancier mechanical contraptions that are possible in this game, but I've never managed to get to it in a live fortress.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

I've turned the water on now, without an upper outlet, and it's filling the wells no higher than the output shafts, which are 1 z-level below the output pump. Well within safety parameters, but not quite consistent with the pressure models I've seen.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »

Dwarves never heard of Archimedes and wouldn't give a crap about his principles if they had.
Pages: [1] 2