Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: water pressures  (Read 1595 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: water pressures
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:57 pm »

Well within safety parameters,

Famous last words  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44:59 pm »

I love finding hidden aquifers 20 lvls down... I revealed and didn't notice it.... lost a section of my mine to flooding.  No deaths but just a reminder that nothing is "safe".
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:57 pm »

Well within safety parameters,

Famous last words  ;D
Yeah, exactly; this is kind of alarming. It's stopping short of where I expected, for now. But if it's not behaving predictably now, what could happen later? The stack is already two levels higher than the output pump, yet the water isn't even raising as high as that output.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:47 am »

Water is iffy. As long as your outlet on the top level has 'room' for the output of your topmost pump, there will not be enough water flowing back so you won't notice the pressure. And then when you for example close a door or whatever on the top level and the top pump doesn't have room to pump out the water, you'll suddenly notice a stream of water exiting your front entrance.

That's basically what happened with my very first pump tower. I was confused why it didn't fill up as fast as I expected. Then I saw my dwarves being washed out the main entrance. :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 06:15:20 am »

Right now the tower is hatched about two levels above the tunnels that are supplying the wells, but there's an outlet lower where water is leaking into a mill room and also has a runoff grate. Would that explain the reduced pressure?

The wells all have cutoff floodgates, and I guess it's a good idea to engage them before opening the last 8 levels of the pump. I'll test each one gradually.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »

I've finished and activated the final levels of the pump, leaving the apex hatch sealed, and water levels still aren't rising. It looks safe, and the mill room isn't getting more than 1/7 of water, but I would have liked the wells to fill a couple levels more at least.

Looks safe, but it's a tad unnerving that it's not matching up with any pressure predictions.
Pages: 1 [2]