Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So. Much. Metal!  (Read 1775 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
So. Much. Metal!
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

I finally got back into DF after a long, involuntary dry spell starting some time before .31 was released. Genned up a world, found a pleasant embark location with a brook and plenty of flux about, and set about getting the fortress dug out.

And there is iron ore and coal everywhere. I literally cannot dig more than a dozen tiles in any direction without hitting more of it, and I've given up even trying to mine it all; I already have so much charcoal I probably won't even bother digging down to the magma. Is this normal or have I just been ridiculously lucky with this site?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So. Much. Metal!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

Its normal.
Ores have been buffed up since 40d.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »

I finally got back into DF after a long, involuntary dry spell starting some time before .31 was released. Genned up a world, found a pleasant embark location with a brook and plenty of flux about, and set about getting the fortress dug out.

And there is iron ore and coal everywhere. I literally cannot dig more than a dozen tiles in any direction without hitting more of it, and I've given up even trying to mine it all; I already have so much charcoal I probably won't even bother digging down to the magma. Is this normal or have I just been ridiculously lucky with this site?

You can always use MAGMA
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:52:25 pm »

Especially since magma is available everywhere via magma sea.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:57:10 pm »

Yeah, use magma and get ridiculously cheap steel produced.  Become the steel capital of your world! Armok has blessed you!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »

@niggy: Thanks. Do you happen to know if there's a way of dialing it back down to 40d levels for future worldgens where I feel the need for a slightly greater challenge?

@Urist McTaverish: Steel is already ridiculously cheap; it's a heavily forested map with flux (either diorite or dolomite; I always get them mixed up) as a layer stone, and the first smelter I built has been doing nothing but refine coal for two and a half years. I'm also still feeling my way around healthcare provision and the revamped military, and none of my attempts at striking the earth near a magma pipe in 40d survived the first year, so magma can wait.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »

Embarking on an area with no flux stone should make it harder to find coal and metal ores (although I seem to hit limonite literally EVERYWHERE)
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »

Yeah, my first world-gen in the new version resulted in crazy amounts of ore for me, as well.  I was on a 2x2 embark, because my computer is getting on in years, and so I figured, what the heck, do a 10x10 grid on each zlevel and mine out all the veins (and clusters) of stuff, and process it (cut/smelt) before moving on to the next zlevel.  It took around 5 dwarf years to reach the first cavern.  (I popcapped around 50 for FPS reasons)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »

TOO MUCH coal!? I haven't bothered with magma forges yet because I'm still learning the ropes of pumps and all that, so I mine out entire veins of the stuff and I STILL don't have enough of it. The veins, no matter how huge they are, only last so long. I can get maybe like 100 iron bars out of a vein, taking the cost of smelting coke from the coal into account. Hey, we're dorfs here. We need more iron than that, yo.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:28:51 pm »

TOO MUCH coal!? I haven't bothered with magma forges yet because I'm still learning the ropes of pumps and all that, so I mine out entire veins of the stuff and I STILL don't have enough of it. The veins, no matter how huge they are, only last so long. I can get maybe like 100 iron bars out of a vein, taking the cost of smelting coke from the coal into account. Hey, we're dorfs here. We need more iron than that, yo.

Dig down to the magma sea and set up the forges over it. Quick and easy.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 07:12:36 pm »

ahhh... what about the Fire Snakes?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »

So much metal.

Bang your head!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »

ahhh... what about the Fire Snakes?

Nothing can get through the impassable tiles... I think? Or can fire snakes spawn on tiles that magla does not 'see'?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:32:52 pm »

Fire snakes are vermin, they'll get through anything in their habitat.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:49:06 pm »

Well, magma-forges and stuff are firesafe by default (or at least should be). The dwarves, sadly, are not. Keep your brew stockpiles away and *gulp* keep some cats on the loose.
Pages: [1] 2