Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 2/08/2011) Completed!  (Read 16519 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 2/08/2011) Completed!
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

It took forever to put the finishing touches on this project. Since my last update my fps dropped to a gruelling 5. Here is the finished Winterfell. There are alot of small buildings among to large ones so I included a shot from each angle. Also, I took the pictures with snow covering the whole map but stonesense doesn't really show it well at all.

First image from the kings gate.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second from the kings gate.

First from the hunters gate.

Second from the hunters gate.

Edit: Decided to put a current zoomed out picture of progress in the first post so people don't have to jump through the thread if they don't want to.

After my last fort went up in a giant pillar of !!FUN!! I decided to pay homage to the great series that is A Song of Ice and Fire and design a fort based on Winterfell. If any of you have not read this series and like fantasy I would recommend you read it. As well, I think HBO is producing a series based off it called Thrones.

A couple of things. Winterfell in the books does not have a significant below ground portion (aside from the crypts) so nearly everything is done aboveground. To facilitate this I made a custom reaction which turns cloth into granite. I figure anyone building a castle would be purchasing stone or digging it themselves from another site so I trade for cloth to simulate this (since if I actually traded for granite this fort would take hundreds of in game years). Ironically this makes Elves my biggest stone suppliers.

I was going to build the foundation and show that but stonesense was not working until just couple days ago so this is a little past that stage. The great hall is nearly done and the glass gardens are completed. I also have several buildings partially constructed and the gods wood outlined.

The bottom left portion has the rookery, bell/maester's tower, kitchen, and brew house. The left middle is the glass gardens and great hall. The bottom foundation is going to be the great keep. The bottom right is the kennels, broken tower, armory, and guards hall. Middle right is the gods wood. Top right is the library tower and guest house, Top left is the smithy/craft hall. Out in the field is the inn and market square (I have to redo the inn, didnt realize stonesense used different skins for the brown wood).

Also, this is an artists rendition of Winterfell so you can get an idea of how Winterfell looks.

I plan to either turn off temp during winter after it snows or use dfweather to make it snow when I'm all done to get that winter look.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:04:32 am by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »

Awesome, should be sweet once it's completed.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »

MY EYES. THEY ARE DOING THIS.

:o
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »

Also, how did you get the zoomed out view in Stonesense?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »

Also, how did you get the zoomed out view in Stonesense?

All those commands are in the readme. That particular view is just a saved whole map screen shot which is CTRL F5
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »

Wait, a Song of Ice and Fire Winterfell?? NICE!

Please tell me you are on a frozen embark.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »

No, because Winterfell is not frozen, that's up past the wall. I picked a biome which was temperate but bordering on a cold biome. If I turn temperature on I get snow mid autumn and it doesn't unfreeze till mid spring. That is about right for Winterfell.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »

No, because Winterfell is not frozen, that's up past the wall. I picked a biome which was temperate but bordering on a cold biome. If I turn temperature on I get snow mid autumn and it doesn't unfreeze till mid spring. That is about right for Winterfell.

I agree. If you get steam to flow through the walls, or geothermal heated water like in the books, to flow through the walls, you win.

Did you put in the crypts? I think I missed them.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

Ya I did, right beneath the first keep. The armory and guards hall border the great keep and there is a little... I guess cul de sac in between the three buildings. I put the hatch right there and the crypts are 2 z levels down. You can't see em in the screen shot but I set it up with wall:coffin:statue. It is kind of a pain to set up because you have to wait for the furniture and the body to be brought in before the wall otherwise the dwarves lock themselves in.

edit: oh also, although you can't get steam I have drawn on my engineering notepad some schematics for heated water and a series of pumps which will push hotter than normal water through the walls of a few choice rooms. Remember not all the rooms are heated perfectly. The two ones that for sure have to have the water set up are Catelyn's apartments and the guest houst. I am going to try and get as many rooms as I can but I don't want to compromise the aesthetics in order to do so.

If you are interested though the water is heated by passing through a glass tunnel which is surrounded by magma and then goes up through the walls via pumps.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:51:11 pm by Halnoth »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »

Ya I did, right beneath the first keep. The armory and guards hall border the great keep and there is a little... I guess cul de sac in between the three buildings. I put the hatch right there and the crypts are 2 z levels down. You can't see em in the screen shot but I set it up with wall:coffin:statue. It is kind of a pain to set up because you have to wait for the furniture and the body to be brought in before the wall otherwise the dwarves lock themselves in.
Smart move. The crypts were small, IIRC, but definitely wall:coffin:statue

edit: oh also, although you can't get steam I have drawn on my engineering notepad some schematics for heated water and a series of pumps which will push hotter than normal water through the walls of a few choice rooms. Remember not all the rooms are heated perfectly. The two ones that for sure have to have the water set up are Catelyn's apartments and the guest houst. I am going to try and get as many rooms as I can but I don't want to compromise the aesthetics in order to do so.

If you are interested though the water is heated by passing through a glass tunnel which is surrounded by magma and then goes up through the walls via pumps.
Once again, smart. It was only the castle that had the heated water, and that idea is cool. Once it all works out, it is going to look so cool. Good luck!!!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »

It's too bad Overseer's relatively primitive at the moment. I imagine the view from the bottom of that great hall up would be majestic!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:58 pm »

Yeah! How can you get stonesense to work on .16? (offtopic, but sorta related)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:42 am »

download the new version that's 3.16 compatible. Just released this week.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 01:03:24 am »

download the new version that's 3.16 compatible. Just released this week.
Sweet, thanks.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 04:17:28 am »

Pft... call me when you do Gormenghast.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4