Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 2/08/2011) Completed!  (Read 16513 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:42 am »

Heh, I just finished reading ASoIaF 4 days ago :) Are you going to make the... MAGMA-POWERED HOT SPRINGS?! And what about direwolves? Did you mod them in?

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24:57 am »

If you're going to go all out, simulate the sacking of Winterfell via strategically placed wooden supports and then fire the place. Post screenies please!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:03 am »

Or The Eyrie. With a way to flush people out the Moon Door.
Oh geez... That would be awesome.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:07 pm »

I have in fact started the eirie as well but it is on the back burner as it is a real gigantic pain in the ass because of the sheer amount of landscaping that needs to be done. As a result I have not worked on it for a month at least.

I am working on magma power for the hotsprings as well as a pump system to pump this heated liquid through the walls.

I am creating winterfell at the start of A Game of Thrones. However, I will probably make the broken tower like that. Otherwise it would look tacky if I intentionally build ruins instead of letting it fall on its own.

I have modded in quite alot of creatures and races from the series as well as a completely redone noble system.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 02:43:46 pm »

I have in fact started the eirie as well but it is on the back burner as it is a real gigantic pain in the ass because of the sheer amount of landscaping that needs to be done. As a result I have not worked on it for a month at least.

I am working on magma power for the hotsprings as well as a pump system to pump this heated liquid through the walls.

I am creating winterfell at the start of A Game of Thrones. However, I will probably make the broken tower like that. Otherwise it would look tacky if I intentionally build ruins instead of letting it fall on its own.

I have modded in quite alot of creatures and races from the series as well as a completely redone noble system.
Sweet! Keep up the good work!!
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 03:24:20 pm »

Make sure to have a barracks in the courtyard (that's where the boys practice their sword play I believe)

FierceNugWrangler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 08:26:35 pm »

Dooood! im so glad you did this! i was just thinkin a while back itd be awesome if someone made a mod of the wall were youre all night watch warriors/rangers/builders/stewards and your all male and immigrants are recruits (rapers and orphans of course) and you fight wildlings and undead.

id like that

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 11:34:08 pm »

This is an epic idea. I hope it goes as well as planned.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 06:27:23 am »

Update: Finished the First Keep, armory, and guard's hall. Also, finished the kitchens and brew house. Set up the main courtyard but I am not quite happy with it yet. Probably just because I haven't even started the Great Keep yet so it looks a bit meh.

An overview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Close up of the First Keep (used statues for the gargoyles), armory (the covered bridge to the great keep is there but it currently goes to nothing), and guard's hall:

Close up of Kitchens, brewhouse, and glass gardens. You can see a bit of the great hall as well. The brewhouse is the one with the statue on top and the kitchen is the completely granite one.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 10/29)
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 01:24:21 pm »

Keep up the good work!

Looks spectacular.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:24 pm »

Very impressive, and I've never even seen what it's based on.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 02:43:27 pm »

It's a book series.

(Correct me if I am wrong) The books are about a monarchy. The king dies and politeness is thrown out the window as every section fights to get dominance. Winterfell is the keep that is the northern capital. The Eyrie is a castle that is on top of a mountain. It takes a donkey like half a day to climb to the castle, but it is so perfectly defend-able that no one has ever stormed it.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 03:47:22 am »

It's a book series.

(Correct me if I am wrong) The books are about a monarchy. The king dies and politeness is thrown out the window as every section fights to get dominance.

Its a bit more complicated than that but that is essentially it. What I would add is that each sect was previously a kingdom in its own right before becoming one kingdom. Sorta makes the whole fight for dominance make a little more sense.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »

It's a book series.

(Correct me if I am wrong) The books are about a monarchy. The king dies and politeness is thrown out the window as every section fights to get dominance.

Its a bit more complicated than that but that is essentially it. What I would add is that each sect was previously a kingdom in its own right before becoming one kingdom. Sorta makes the whole fight for dominance make a little more sense.
Thanks for the clearing up. I haven't read the series in a couple years... (I never finished it)

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:49 am »

Ya I did, right beneath the first keep. The armory and guards hall border the great keep and there is a little... I guess cul de sac in between the three buildings. I put the hatch right there and the crypts are 2 z levels down. You can't see em in the screen shot but I set it up with wall:coffin:statue. It is kind of a pain to set up because you have to wait for the furniture and the body to be brought in before the wall otherwise the dwarves lock themselves in.
Smart move. The crypts were small, IIRC, but definitely wall:coffin:statue

If I remember my SoIaF correctly (during one of Ghost/Jon's dream-spirit walking and when Bran & Co. were hiding in them), the crypts have several levels of wall:coffin:statue. The lower one goes, the older the crypts are, to the point where the features have been worn off the oldest statues (from cave dust? no wind = erosion??). Kinda interesting that the First Kings of Winter were quite the experts in crypt building (bottom up) ...most people just dig deeper (top to bottom). This of course means that future expansion when the newest crypts are JUST below ground might tend towards a broadening or an increase in length. Inverted pyramid?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4