Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 26769 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile

Etur Rackwheels and Vallan Lombukog should be the architects for this, I think. They have the Carpentry, Masonry and Mechanic skills.

What if we submit plans and they pick the ones they like the most?

As the senior and only militiadwarf, Arkon should be consulted for judging defensibility :P

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vallan puts a hand on the warriorrs shoulder, "dont worry, i will construct a great fighting platform, with menacing wooden spikes protruding everywhere below it, you battles atop it will be epic! and i might even install some swinging spiked copper balls to periodically swing across it too!"

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Can I sign up as a migrant?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

You know, they're pretty similar, so maybe we should just combine my tunnel idea and the ramp idea. We'll have a ramp, wide enough for wagons (at least eventually) carved into the cliff face and ending in a large tunnel.

When we get around to it, we build whatever fortifications we want into the tunnel- barricades, fortification walls, traps, you name it.

If we feel the need, we build a bridge inside the tunnel, putting spikes, cage traps, or a chute to the cliff face underneath it. This would be almost identical to a cliff-side bridge, except we get more control over where it leads. (Neyvn: Using other Z-levels is alright as long as it's kind of basic, right? Like, a stairway leading to a cage trap filled pit? Wouldn't even need a map for it)

The only concession anyone needs to make with this plan is that we'd be abandoning the U-plan, which I don't think is as good as a fortified tunnel anyway; among other things, we'd shoot our loot off the cliff. As an added bonus, the ramp would take a lot of space, meaning it'd be just about perfect to start on our side of the river and end underneath the waterfall. Doesn't get much more epic than that, eh?

Spoiler: Cliffside View (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Topdown View (click to show/hide)

Well, what do you all think?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

I like your idea of building an open-sided ramp to the waterfall. Alternatively, we could continue the ramp past the waterfall, then dig in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yours is still good, I'm just a bit worried about digging under that waterfall. Call me hydrophobic...
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I sign up as a migrant?
Of Course!!! If you are having any problems with understanding my profile PM me...

Will the map continue to be a Dwarf Fort game screenshot, or will it be made in an imaging program? (Like the one I put in my journal)
Ascii Design will continue to be used. I like the fact that I can make it look like a real Game of DFmode while still being under my control. Naturally not everything is random and if you look close you can actually notice that the trees are done from the same pattern thrown ontop of one another to look random. Same with the waters...

-----

Just remember, the more detail you put into the design the better I can recreate it, empty zones of unmined layers except for ramps or stairwells or small areas (middle of towers for example) will not be included, neither will Floors that contain mainly Stockpiles as that would be a byatch to maintain...

I will be starting the Dicerolls when i finish work in another.......... 5 or so Hours, so please work out what you are doing if possible, though Map Update won't happen until a Fortnight has passed, so plans of its look can be 'changed' to be more refined for when the map update happens...

FAKE EDIT:: Also thats what I mean by detailed look \\Points at Shade-o's image\\
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Sam, Arkon, can one of you lend me your picks? You both have weapons, after all... Also, Vallan has no weapon, so it would be very generous for someone to lend him a pick as well. Torish has a shovel, but no pick or axe. Nirur, would you like me to bring you a weapon? Anyone else want me to bring some weapons so we don't have to fight with picks (eyeing the crossbows here)?
Do we need more bandages or seeds? How about food?
Would you guys like me to bring Winter Clothes for when winter comes? If so, how many pairs?
Should I bring a Whetstone?
Should I bring puppies?
I think I'll bring kittens, we'll need the meat and bones.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sam, Arkon, can one of you lend me your picks? You both have weapons, after all... Also, Vallan has no weapon, so it would be very generous for someone to lend him a pick as well. Torish has a shovel, but no pick or axe. Nirur, would you like me to bring you a weapon? Anyone else want me to bring some weapons so we don't have to fight with picks (eyeing the crossbows here)?
Do we need more bandages or seeds? How about food?
Would you guys like me to bring Winter Clothes for when winter comes? If so, how many pairs?
Should I bring a Whetstone?
Should I bring puppies?
I think I'll bring kittens, we'll need the meat and bones.
It might be months before you get there, remember that.
Bring what you need yourself and what you think you might need, cause your Dwarf don't know whats going on at the Fort...
Kittens, they will become attached to you straight away, you won't be able to butcher them and their OMFG THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!! KITTY EYES!!!
Robot Girl not included...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Building the cave under the waterfall would be much more awesome, I think. At the depths we're talking about, going under the river really shouldn't be an issue.

Though maybe we could build the actual fortress more to the side, and have the main under-the-river tunnel just be the access point, defense rows, and trade depot area, just to be safe. Either way, it shouldn't affect our plans immediately, since we'll probably want the tunnel to be nice and long before it leads to our soft workshops and dining rooms.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Do kittens actually do anything, then? Can we slaughter their babies at least?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i can throw things, anything could be my weapons, like a rock or a coin. I once cut a kobold in half with a butterfly you know.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Once we've got sufficient mewling bowls of cute, I will consider turning my adorable cats' progeny into an industry. It may take us a while to get up to the proper numbers, though.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

So, I'll bring kittens to supplement our supply. Sound good?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Sounds good; not like they cost anything.

We're not sure what the situation will be like when you arrive, though, so don't put too much thought into what the fort needs right now.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

NAME:: Cheddarius Asdosrodnul-emarsim
USERNAME:: Cheddarius
DEITY:: Tobul Granitegorge
PERSONALITY:: Water
SKILLS::
Armorsmith - 4
Weaponsmith - 4
Bone Carver - 2