Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 26746 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile

Arkon wakes up the next day and, over breakfast, compliments Shade on a fine job setting up the tent.
"Well, I better get this hunk o' meat taught how to be a fine warrior," he says, pointing to his puppy. "I'll call 'im Shegumshis [droolfang]!"

On his way out, he notices the dead deer strung up. "Didn't know we 'ad one o' them! Somebody ought'er take care of that."

Arkon's schedule for day 2:

3 Hours of Survival - Filling Breakfast, Lunch shared with Shegumshis and Supper.

3 Hours of Work: Training and exercising Sheg.
5 Hours of Work: Martial exercise; practise axe technique against a tree or on own.
- 6 Hours of Lesser Work: Night fishing while keeping watch; every hour or so, take a stroll around the camp.

7 Hours of Revival - Sleeping in the evening and at dawn.

My colour-coded day:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:06:41 am by Samthere »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

survival 2hours;hour fill my pockets with the days food. chew as i work when hungry. fill wineskin with riverwater, keep rum in backpack
work 16 hours; major job; make sturdy wooden beds
revival 6 hours; sleep in tent yay

Q: am i tired from working too long or not sleeping enough?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

Not that I can do anything but dig right now, so I'll be a very selfless miner today.

Etur's Schelude, day 2:
1 Hour of Survival - Sipping booze between digging.
21 Hour of Work - Digging.
2 Hours of Revival - Limbering up between digging.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Ca I claim a migrant?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile

Actually yeah the Migrants need around a months worth of food to get to the Fort,

Quote from: From the Letter as per read by Shade on arrival.
"Greetings to you, oh Founders of Dagoth-ur, The Seacliffs of Infinite Wrath...
We are gladdened by your safe arrival to these areas and hope that the trip was safe and calm. Before leaving you were entrusted with enough coin to get more then enough food to last you the trip of a month and many after that, as we hope that it has taken you at least that.

The fact that the Founders took 15 weeks was cause they went the long way round, and migrants travel in small groups on foot, meaning that they can take the harder to travel paths that the Wagon couldn't. But they would still require around a Month or so of Food...
In that case, bringing more food seems advisable...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ca I claim a migrant?
Yes...

Q: am i tired from working too long or not sleeping enough?
Not getting enough sleep due to a hastly eaten meal. Eating too quickly can cause the body to forget that it had eaten anything to begin with, 3 hours is a good enough time to actually eat each meal with time to let things rest and be calm before getting back to work. While 2 is slightly pushing it. 1 though is barely eating anything or just not eating correctly.

When food is better quality, less time could be used to eat, but it is unsure of at the moment...

It's a great amount of detail, it's very well crafted. But it's simply impractical if it takes so long for the first turn, without any of the coming clutter.

Suggestions:

-Outsource some of it to the players to fill in themselves.
-Combine multiple days into one post (assuming nothing interesting happens.)
-Find a person to co-GM with, either in alternating turns or by taking over a certain aspect of the game.

It's been fantastic and we've only had one turn, but this simply isn't sustainable.
Multiple Days will come for the second week.
The reason it took so long is cause I was reworking the Difficulty rating around 4 times each time, due to the fact that some dicerolls just were never going to reach it, so making it slightly more easier to make up for that. Plus trying to work out the actual difficulty rating is kinda hard when you don't have something to base it off you know...
Getting another person to GM it with me, could work. But I doubt that it will take as long as last time to do it...

Just gonna repeat myself here...
Right then, First things first...

I am thinking that now that the Founders are at the Fort, 800☼ is too much for migrants, Perhaps lowing it to 600☼ due to the fact that they do not have a Wagon to take their equipment and must lug it in a backpack or in their pockets. Perhaps changing the List to reduce different items and such making it a little harder/easier for them to carry only really what they need to do THEIR jobs when they arrive and not bring Excuss items that fill what the founders forgot to bring. Perhaps include a Wagon for sale so that they could group up with extra dwarves if the Migrant Roll gives a large amount of people but forcing them to wait an extra month to arrive (same oragen style entrance perhaps)... I don't know, mulling it over, so to those that have had posted Migrant Profiles, please tell me if you feel that I am being to harsh on you or that it seems more likely. I do not want the Migrants asking OCC to those at the Fortress, "Hey what do you need???"...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:11:19 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I'd think once we have it smoothed out, slime or slipperyness wouldn't be an issue. Which is a little counterintuitive, but it works for the ramp.

If you're really concerned about people being dragged off, I suppose we could hook the tunnel around a pillar so they come in a tile away from the edge, like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel that having the tunnel mouth facing a roaring wall of water is absolutely essential, however.

Right then, First things first...

I am thinking that now that the Founders are at the Fort, 800☼ is too much for migrants, Perhaps lowing it to 600☼ due to the fact that they do not have a Wagon to take their equipment and must lug it in a backpack or in their pockets. Perhaps changing the List to reduce different items and such making it a little harder/easier for them to carry only really what they need to do THEIR jobs when they arrive and not bring Excuss items that fill what the founders forgot to bring. Perhaps include a Wagon for sale so that they could group up with extra dwarves if the Migrant Roll gives a large amount of people but forcing them to wait an extra month to arrive (same oragen style entrance perhaps)... I don't know, mulling it over, so to those that have had posted Migrant Profiles, please tell me if you feel that I am being to harsh on you or that it seems more likely. I do not want the Migrants asking OCC to those at the Fortress, "Hey what do you need???"...
Perhaps you could limit their funds to 300 or 400☼, but make anything job-related half price. So it wouldn't really be feasible to bring stuff just because we need it, but they could still afford most of what we got.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

Shade's Standard Schedule, Day 2: THE DAY I DISCOVERED FISH

3 Hours of Survival - Breakfast, Lunch and Supper.
12 Hours of Work - Try and find out exactly what sort of trees, minerals and soils can be found on the surface. Look in the river, see if anything lives in it. With remaining time tally up our supplies. He who controls the stockpile, controls the universe fort.
9 Hours of Revival - Sleeping at night, waking at dawn.

Starting at dawn (6am)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(May change in event of wounding, combat, incarceration or insanity)

Note: Steal all the toolsets.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:44:45 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Your normal routine consists of stealing all the toolsets? :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing as no one has really used them except for Vallam who had them in his backpack before Shade had the chance to flog them, I consider them all to be in Shade's hands... ^_^

New Poll up...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've counted the items lost and gained, and here's what I've got:

End of Day 1:
Supplies:

Fortress:

I'm not certain on our food situation, however.

Assuming a "Week's Worth" is enough for one dwarf, eating three times a day for a week...

We started with...
2142 Meals of Hardtack
1008 Meals of Plump Helmet
2394 Drinks of Rum
 420 Drinks of Beer

En-route, we most likely had...
2205 Meals (Unspecified)
2205 Drinks (Unspecified)

And each day we normally have...
21 Meals
21 Drinks

Since we are still eating Hardtack, that means that we had rationing, ate more Plump Helmets instead, or both. Or maybe we ate all the Plump Helmets first so they wouldn't rot...

Basically, if you get get me rolling, then I can take care of all the numbers (being the record keeper) and you can focus on writing an awesome story.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:01:06 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your forgot that a 'Weeks Worth' is actually enough for two dwarves...
Other then that its all good I feel.. ^_^

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile

Sam wakes up the next day and, over breakfast, compliments Shade on a fine job setting up the tent.
."

Sam schedule for day 2:

3 Hours of Survival - Breakfast, Lunch and  Supper.

3 Hours of Work Butchering anything caught at the end of the day. any extra time is spent sleeping.
9 Hours of Work: HUNTING!!!!!
- 2 Hours of Lesser Work:making bolts in the morning

7 Hours of Revival - Sleeping in the evening and at dawn.

My colour-coded day:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:42:32 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I was using a different conversion. It all adds up the same, however. (Amazingly!)

Basically, what have we eaten so far, specifically? It could have Full Life Consequences.

"Shade resolves to kill Sam last."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I was using a different conversion. It all adds up the same, however. (Amazingly!)

Basically, what have we eaten so far, specifically? It could have Full Life Consequences.

"Shade resolves to kill Sam last."
Well thats up to you as the Dwarf, I chose hardtack for the main food cause there was more of it then the plumphelmets, but that meant that the dwarves at the mushrooms as variety...
Also I am not sure I am happy with the idea that you have so many eaten Plumphelments, they are spos to leave spores when eaten/brewed so that might have too many, perhaps we can look at it in the proper kinda way when it comes to mushrooms growing, they need to be still living (not harvest) to spread more spores, but the farmers had taken a method to gather those spores and keep them alive to allow for planting elsewhere...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27