Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 26773 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok 4 hours first workshop 4 hours second workshop 4 hours setting snares focusing on quantity
 then 4 hours making a door focusing on sturdyness

Edit:Question, so my toolset, does it add a bonus to mechanics and carpentry, mechanics or carpentry, or is it consumed building a workshop? because i would like to keep my tools in my backpack to prevent theft.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:04:53 pm by Hastur »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

Shade's Standard Schedule, Day 1: THE DAY I POSED DRAMATICALLY

3 Hours of Survival - Breakfast, Lunch and Supper.
12 Hours of Work - I'll try and set up the 20-Dwarf tent, and try and get someone else to help me. With any remaining time I'll scout the area without entering the fog. Try and find out what sort of trees, rocks and plants can be found on the surface. Look in the river, see if anything lives in it.
9 Hours of Revival - Sleeping at night, waking at dawn.

Starting at dawn (6am)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(May change in event of wounding, combat, incarceration or insanity)

Note: Steal all the toolsets.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:49:50 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

If we dig straight down, we'll need a castle or something up here to feel truly safe. If we burrow into the side of the cliff, we'll be naturally protected. I'd even be alright with carving a staircase right into the side of the cliff, but just digging straight down feels so... pedestrian.

I mean, is there any reason not to dig into the side of the cliff rather than straight down? It's not like having the entrance staircase in the middle of the fort will noticeably improve efficiency or anything, and the cliff face is both safer and classier.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow kinda surprised at the current voting... Would have thought that people would at least be ok with me going to work then updating on my return. But to post straight away, is kinda mean to those that have different timezones to me and those that have posted...

Today anyway will be after work...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

It's not really mean unless they make a mistake or something. And even then, it's usually better to keep the game moving than to wait on one person fixing one thing in one turn. Worst case you can auto them for something kinda like what they were probably trying to do.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we're doing group projects, we should be planning before posting actions, rather then changing our actions after posting them.

Just digging stairs into the cliff itself is a good start, but a 'u' design would likely be even more defensible, if a bit more dangerous.

Cross-section of Y, Z axis:

=/============
 \
 /      E
 \      /
 /      \
 \______/

E = Entrance.
\, / = Stairs

Crossbow dwarves could easily pick them off as they approached one at a time, and think of the potential for traps.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking of a ramp, that way caravans can enter. Then, it crosses a bridge that can be raised to protect the entrance.

Code: [Select]
               Surface
=====================================
   \.............................|
    \............................|
     \...........................|
      \..........Bridge.......___|
       \_______|*|_____|*|___|_E_|
                 |.....|
                 |.....|
                  \.../
                   \./

Water of doom

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:47:54 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

If we're doing group projects, we should be planning before posting actions, rather then changing our actions after posting them.
Agreed; even if you don't intend to listen to your fellow dwarves, it can be handy to know what they're up to. Of course, it'd also be nice to get everyone's actions in sort of quickly, so I guess we can't have everything.

As far as the stairs go, I was thinking more like this:

/
\
/
\     ____
/__/        \
\_ _______\

You go down the cliff, then enter into a large main tunnel. Worst case, enemies come in, single file, with their backs to a bottomless cliff; we then pick them off with crossbows or just charge them and see if they feel lucky. Best case, we have a battle on our turf, with whatever fortifications, barricades, and so on we need, and still get to keep the invaders' bones and loot, unless we feel like withdrawing and leading them through a series of traps to capture them or whittle them down. Plus we'd have plenty of room for massive floodgate blast doors, fortifications along the walls, or traps right there in the tunnel if it really came down to it. This method is also a lot easier on hauling, since the way's fairly wide open except for the staircase, which we can expand if we'd like.

I'd also be in favor of constructing stone platforms below the staircase and tunnel mouth to catch falling debris (meaning dwarves and loot), but that's a more advanced project.

NINJA:
Shade's idea was the other thing I was thinking of, but I still think I prefer the large tunnel. The bridge on the side of a cliff thing is nonetheless classy, however.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right FYI, Only one plane of underground at the moment please. Show me a simple design of what you want to dig and how many Zs under the surface, also include where you want the surface entrance to be.

EDIT:: ALSO the more detailed it is the better the results...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:02:34 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Etur Rackwheels and Vallan Lombukog should be the architects for this, I think. They have the Carpentry, Masonry and Mechanic skills.

What if we submit plans and they pick the ones they like the most?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What will be needed for underground farming?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

stairs downward right on the square protruding out below the fog, at the very edge so the stairs are exposed. Go down a ways maybe 10 levels i say. we can set up something more complicated once you guys agree, personally i vote OWL since i dont care on this particular subject.

Edit: "but hey if im being asked what a good idea is i will think about it. I think a strong scary cliffside murderpit will cause seigers to come better prepared. But if we lure them in.... and then seal a trap around them they wont know what to prepare for. This is no game (with arbitrary rules), and i bet they can dig too if they think its worth it."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:07:18 pm by Hastur »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What will be needed for underground farming?
Soil or Mud, plus a good way to keep it damp yet not too cold. The truth is almost ALL underground crops are Fungi, know what the best climate for growing fungi is and you can grow underground crops. Also note that the fact that we are in a Sea Biome that the waters closer to the sea will be salty and that the river is still fresh...
But salt is on the wind so careful of things like that...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: "but hey if im being asked what a good idea is i will think about it. I think a strong scary cliffside murderpit will cause seigers to come better prepared. But if we lure them in.... and then seal a trap around them they wont know what to prepare for. This is no game (with arbitrary rules), and i bet they can dig too if they think its worth it."
Goblins ain't true diggers like dwarves, plus dwarven 'magiks' prevent anyone from digging into areas they have smoothed. Though Goblins will attempt to Sap Walls if they can, soil is the only ground they have enough skill to dig through. Filling you in on a spoiler here so be grateful I didn't spring it on you... ^_^

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will the map continue to be a Dwarf Fort game screenshot, or will it be made in an imaging program? (Like the one I put in my journal)

Shade sketches out a design, and waves it at the nearest architect. Shade was very glad that they had remembered to bring their 256 colour chalk set.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:28:35 pm by Shade-o »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27