Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 26763 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

I'm not certain how it works for migrants, but you may need to bring food and drink as well. Otherwise you might starve to death en-route.

Unless you get the option to hunt, trade or steal, that is.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:44:51 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually yeah the Migrants need around a months worth of food to get to the Fort,

Quote from: From the Letter as per read by Shade on arrival.
"Greetings to you, oh Founders of Dagoth-ur, The Seacliffs of Infinite Wrath...
We are gladdened by your safe arrival to these areas and hope that the trip was safe and calm. Before leaving you were entrusted with enough coin to get more then enough food to last you the trip of a month and many after that, as we hope that it has taken you at least that.

The fact that the Founders took 15 weeks was cause they went the long way round, and migrants travel in small groups on foot, meaning that they can take the harder to travel paths that the Wagon couldn't. But they would still require around a Month or so of Food...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:13:28 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

That means 50☼ worth of cave wheat biscuits, right? Since each unit can feed 2 dwarves for one week (e.g. one dwarf for two weeks)?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something like that. Or Hardtack, since it's a lot cheaper.

I drew my Dwarf, posing on the cliff-edge with pickaxe and winter gear, icebergs in the foggy distance.
What gender are they? It's a mystery!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

My design of the tunnel, side view:
  _Surface___RIVER______
\__ \__     ~~~~~~~
   \__ \__  # # # #
      \__ \__#_#_#__
         \__#_#_#_#_Everything else
             # # #

Ramp goes four z-levels down, with 2-tile-long steps on each level, tunnel stretches 8 tiles after the ramp ends. That allows to engulf nearly the entire tunnel in mist, and yet leave space for Goblin Washers and other compact traps.

Etur's Schelude, day 1:
4 Hours of Survival - Breakfast, Lunch, Supper, Booze.
12 Hours of Work - First ten hours: dig the tunnel. If the tunnel project is changed by others, follow the latest version of the design. Hours 10-12: gather plants.
8 Hours of Revival - Going to bed and waking up three hours earlier than others. Takes night shift after Arkon.
Graphical view:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I understand what the extra eight tiles are for. Original plan was for the ramp to be perpendicular to the main tunnel; it goes down, then does a 90 degree turn and follows the river a bit. What would we do with the part past the waterfall? Or did you prefer not to have the waterfall over the main tunnel entrance?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we do build an open-faced tunnel under the waterfall, will we ever have to worry about it sucking people off, or the slimy stone making people slip? It doesn't matter very much now, but eventually this will be a grand place and I'd rather our main entrance doesn't resemble a slime-filled gutter. Of course, we can eventually redirect the river, add flow controls, retractable shutters and all that. The river freezing in winter should allow us to work fairly easily, though all the wet surfaces turning into ice slicks isn't very attractive...

Question: Will we eventually be able to make connections to the icebergs in winter (rope bridges?) and hunt penguins and seals on them?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:56:43 am by Shade-o »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I understand what the extra eight tiles are for. Original plan was for the ramp to be perpendicular to the main tunnel; it goes down, then does a 90 degree turn and follows the river a bit. What would we do with the part past the waterfall? Or did you prefer not to have the waterfall over the main tunnel entrance?
Part past the waterfall was supposed to be the entry point under a 90 degree angle to the tunnel. Eight tiles were reserved for potential defense systems. If you feel like it is unnecessary, rewrite the design all you want. "Everything else" was just a placeholder, I didn't write that we would dig it out.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile

Sam's Standard Schedule:

3 Hours of Survival - Breakfast, Lunch and Supper.
10 Hours of Work - Hunting!
3 Hours of minor Work - Making bolts in the beginning of the day
8 Hours of Revival - Sleeping at night.

(May change in event of wounding, combat, incarceration or insanity)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:57:48 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, when do we pick a leader?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right then, First things first...

I am thinking that now that the Founders are at the Fort, 800☼ is too much for migrants, Perhaps lowing it to 600☼ due to the fact that they do not have a Wagon to take their equipment and must lug it in a backpack or in their pockets. Perhaps changing the List to reduce different items and such making it a little harder/easier for them to carry only really what they need to do THEIR jobs when they arrive and not bring Excuss items that fill what the founders forgot to bring. Perhaps include a Wagon for sale so that they could group up with extra dwarves if the Migrant Roll gives a large amount of people but forcing them to wait an extra month to arrive (same oragen style entrance perhaps)... I don't know, mulling it over, so to those that have had posted Migrant Profiles, please tell me if you feel that I am being to harsh on you or that it seems more likely. I do not want the Migrants asking OCC to those at the Fortress, "Hey what do you need???"...

Next

If we do build an open-faced tunnel under the waterfall, will we ever have to worry about it sucking people off, or the slimy stone making people slip? It doesn't matter very much now, but eventually this will be a grand place and I'd rather our main entrance doesn't resemble a slime-filled gutter. Of course, we can eventually redirect the river, add flow controls, retractable shutters and all that. The river freezing in winter should allow us to work fairly easily, though all the wet surfaces turning into ice slicks isn't very attractive...

Question: Will we eventually be able to make connections to the icebergs in winter (rope bridges?) and hunt penguins and seals on them?
Heh its a Major river that is a Waterfall, it don't freeze, the force of the water falling over the cliff and its speed does not allow the water itself to freeze over, if I am right in say, it happens like this IRL too... (Aussie so don't even know what Snow actually looks like except through TV).

Connecting to the icebergs is a possibility, but they will not be staying still due to the fact that its not an Icecap here, they will be moving alot so permanent connections is kinda impossible in the end, perhaps if a boat was made, but Dwarves don't know much about boating really...

and finally...

Also, when do we pick a leader?
Your too worried about the Goblins to bother about politics of an outpost that doesn't really exist atm. Perhaps after you feel more safe, at the moment, its more a big discussion on how you are all going to live and what to do next....

-----

Starting Dice rolls...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did they fall off the table?  :-\

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Slowly the sun began to rise over the horizon in the distance, the bright light of this Flaming Ball in the sky bounced off the Cliff Face and brought most of the cliffs surface to sight, the Dwarves were awoken by the light pounding through their eyelids even though they had lifted their hands to block the brightness…

Quote from: Irony’s Day…
Moments after the discussion about their plans over the breakfast of Hardtack and the light drink of booze to give some moisture to the dry tasteless meal, Irony rose to his feet while grabbing one of the COPPER AXEs from the wagon’s bed before disappearing into the light fog. The thunking noise of his axe hitting the wood of the trees echoed slightly over the land…

Survival - Meals barely had any taste, not that they did have any to begin with. Hunger/Thirst is Sated though.

Work – Discovering that the Copper Axe is not as sharp as one would have hoped, he finds that it takes around 3 Hours to get through enough of the trunk to bring down a tree. After 14 Hours he was able to fell, 6 trees neatly, though the last one he brought down in 2 hours instead of the 3…

48 Woodcutting Experience gained – To next level 652.

Revival – As night began to fall he sort himself a place to rest.

Hunger
[========~]

Thirst
[========~]

[Comfortable]

Started a new fortress | +50 happiness
Aww, the kittens and the puppy are playing together. | +25 happiness

Quote from: Sam's Day...
After Breakfast Sam had gone around the camp collecting branches and such from the trees around them before returning to the Wagon and settling himself into a comfortable position against its large wheel before beginning to whittle them into bolts that he would use later for his planned hunting trip…

Survival - Meals barely had any taste, not that they did have any to begin with. Hunger/Thirst is Sated though.

Work – After collecting the Branches Sam began to whittle them into SIMPLE BOLTS, most broke quickly but in the end he had 15 that would be able to survive their trip from a Crossbow, or so he hoped. Heading out from the camp he tried to look for possible tracks and/or signs of any animals in the immediate area, being unsuccessful there he headed south, finding the tracks of what looked to be a large animal. After four hours of tracking the animal he was able to see what looked to be a Deer through the fog, lifting his Crossbow he took aim…

Spoiler: COMBAT!!! (click to show/hide)

The Deer erupts in a flurry of panic as the wooden bolt connects with its chest, the sharp point rips through the muscle, connecting with the heart and striking it through. With a Shake the Deer attempts to run, taking a few quick leaps away from the Dwarf before the bolt in its chest causes him to bleed out faster…
The Deer falls dead within minutes, Sam slicing its throat to finish it off quickly after he reaches it moments after it fell…

Carrying his Quarry back to camp after the 4 hour hike (Slightly lost due to the fog and now not following anything) he finds that there is a few hours left to sun down, he spends the last 3 hours whittling more bolts. Making 12 more…

Revival – Falling asleep with a smile on his face, the cool air keeping the freshly killed animal safe from rotting too soon. He knew he could start working on it tomorrow, he was just too excited from his first kill that he ended up falling asleep happy…

New Skill leveled up – Dabbling Wood Crafting – 27 Experience gained – To next level 473

30 Ambusher Experience gained – To next level 770
20 Crossbow Experience gained – To next level 780

Hunger
[========~]

Thirst
[========~]

[Ecstatic]

I KILLED A DEER!!! | +50 happiness
Woke up with the Kittens snuggling me | +20 happiness

I now relies how hard combat is going to be for me, it pissed me off that the Deer kept failing his rolls and kept looking towards where the bolts had hit, it was surprisingly hard to hit the creature in the fog too, The Roll that hit was a Critical Success, 1.5x the target marker, the deer was able to keep his throat and head safe from impact, but failed at its organ roll… Well done Sam for the first KILL…

Quote from: Etur's Day...
It took some time but the method of the entrance to their new Outpost was decided, taking action on the plan, Etur grabbed a pick and shovel and began to dig through the lightly frosted earth. The spade took minutes to get through the dirt and clay before he swapped it out for the pick and began digging away…

Work Day – It took around 4 hours to dig a 2m by 2m lump of stone (ONE Tile in DFMode) as he found, but then again it was his first time to do so. But in the end he was able to get the initial ramp begun after digging through 4 units of Stone. Though the ramp itself is quite dangerous for anything but stable feet to walk down, it would need to be Smoothed down before a wagon or anyone moving fast over it could travel it. In the end though he was able to leave 2 workable lumps of stone that he had dug out from the stone…

Skill leveled up – Dabbling Miner – 32 Mining Experience Gained, To Next level - 468

Work Night – Awaking early, Etur was able to catch Sam before the Dwarf went to sleep to quickly catch up on some rest, it would be a while still before everyone else woke, he took this time to examine some of the plants in the local area near the camp site, just finding where these plants could be found took around 30 minutes each time, but even after 2 hours he didn’t find any that was ready to be picked…

Skill leveled up – Dabbling Herbilist – 8 Herbalist Experience gained – To next level 492

Revival – Despite waking before the Sun, the night sleep was quite good…

Hunger
[========~]

Thirst
[========~]

[Ecstatic]

Turned the first Stone | +25 happiness

Due to it being Ramps the distance taken is a lot more then that of a full area of stone, while they are Dwarves, he is Dabbling at Mining. At legendary he could in fact do a basic ramp 4zs down in one day. AND they would be already smoothed down. Also his rolls were quite lucky for each roll, very lucky…

Quote from: Shade's Day
Watching everyone go their separate ways to their decided jobs, Shade was left with their hand in the air, pleas for help in setting up their Sleeping Tent hanging in their throat and left there due to no one being around to hear them, abandoned they pulled the overly large packed tent out of the Wagon and gave it a look of pure anger that they would rather have given to the others…

Work – Any attempt to get help in setting up this large tent seemed to be for naught. Struggling by theirself Shade races around the tent’s shape, pulling at the ropes, erecting the poles and hammering down the pegs into the ground, it took a lot of time, 13hours to be precise, struggling with the last bit of pushing the main pole upright before it finally being able to stand back, exhausted and tired to admire their work…

Relationship status decreased – Ignored by everyone.

New Skilled Leveled up – Dabbling Concentration – 195 Concentration Experience Gained – To next level 305

Revival – Despite being forced to sleep a little later then they wanted to, they had picked the BEST spot in the tent to sleep and felt refreshed fully in the morning…

Hunger
[========~]

Thirst
[========~]

[Grumpy]

Everyone ignored me and forced me to put up the Tent, BY MYSELF!!! | -75 happiness

I placed a challenge of 50 points (D100 said 68 but I thought it was a little to high), using a D6 for each hour. In 12 you were able to roll…. 48… I thought I would be kind and say you did it with an extra hour… ^_^ Also noticed that Putting up this tent was a last minute change. Hahaha… Poor Shade…

Quote from: Vallam's Day...
After his breakfast Vallam disappeared down to the riverbanks, with plans to pull a couple of large boulders up the banks to use as solid counters to work on some project he had in mind. A snare to catch some Rabbits or a different small animal and then if Irony had cut down a large enough tree he could make a good sized door for the entrance of the Outpost….. Though did he know what the plan was???

Survival – He had quickly shoved the food down his throat, neither tasting it or the rum he used to wash it down with. Nonetheless the Hardtack expanded in his belly enough to feel full while he worked, but during the night he feel a quite hungry…

Work – The riverbed had penty of stone, though many large then his fist, though after a few minutes of looking he found two large boulders that had been knocked loose from the soil and surrounding rocks by a tree leaning down against them, pushing up  against the tree he was able to knock them free. A few hours later he had his ‘Carpenters’ and ‘Mechanics’ workshop, which were just the flattest sides of the boulders pointed upwards with a well dug in the soil that he had rolled them into.
Taking his time he used his ‘Mechanics workshop’ to make a SIMPLE SNARE from some of the rope he had collected from the wagon. 3 hours later he couldn’t find any Rabbit warrens or even footprints in the soil that could be that of an animal, so he set up his Snare near the riverbank. Hopefully an animal coming to drink would be caught and hung up in the tree the next day or so…

Later in the day he dragged one of the Logs cut down by Irony to his ‘Carpenter’s Workshop’ and began to carve away at its surface. After working away at it for 4 hours he has ended up with a half finished Door, clearly more time would be needed to finish it…

Revival – Waking early in the morning to join Etur in the early watch. His growling stomach becoming something that mainly woke him up, and kept him half awake all night unable to get to sleep. Waking Very Hungry and quite sleepy still.

Hunger
[====~====]

Thirst
[======~==]

[Tired and Hungry]

Kept waking up due to hunger | -25 happiness

Quote from: Arkon's Day
Though before Irony left to his Woodcutting, Arkon had risen to his feet, collected his COPPER AXE and MEDIUM Shield, hoisting his backpack on with a loud clinking noise of all his gear and pulled his RUM FILLED WATERSKIN (One unit of CHEAP RUM) did he announce that he was gonna have a look around the immediate area. Clearly he was going to stay out all day, for he had taken his lunch with him, bit more then he needed really (One unit worth of HARDTACK in Backpack)…

Survival – Breakfast and Supper was had at the ‘base camp’. Lunch though was had out in the wilderness, and interrupted by the sighting of a large creature in the Fog. Being too busy to avoid it he forgot to eat in the end…

Work Day – Planing on heading in a Circle around the main camp he began East to see how far the River went. Areas scouted – East Tile.
Quickly he realized that mapping this area would take a long time while the Fog was still so thick, though the River’s path blocked his search to the north, it did begin to bend that way, blocking him from searching the area directly north of the Camp. Nothing else was interesting here though. Headed back to camp. – No Additional Map. – World Map added to OP…

Work Night – During Night duty nothing happens except for the constant sound of stones hitting a tree a short distance off from where everyone slept. Sam had set up targets on the trees on the simple patrol route around the camp, it was far enough away that it shouldn’t have woken anyone up. Which luckily, they didn’t. He ended up hitting 11 targets in the night…

Skill leveled up – Dabbling Ambusher – 10 Ambusher Experience gained – To next level 490

Skill leveled up – Dabbling Thrower – 11 Throwing Experience gained – To next level 489.

Revival – Dividing his sleep to allow him to cover enough of a patrol did not affect him in any way…

Hunger
[=====~===]

Thirst
[======~==]

[Slightly hungry]

Just remembered that I didn't have lunch | -10 happiness

Being a Heavy Fog in the immediate area, the sighting of a Large Creature’s silhouette meant that it was nearby, the attempt to avoid it though did not succeed enough to have him remember to eat. It could have been worse and you were very close to it...
Scouting in the Heavy Fog makes things difficult, what you see is limited so it takes longer to see what there is to see. If you meant the area on which the Camp is located, what you see is what you get in Fortress Maps…

Quote from: Torish's Day...
Torish quickly ate her breakfast before she began looking around the area for harvestable plants, checking all possible locations she noticed that the climate was perfect for the plants that grew in wet conditions such as this during the warmer times, such as Spring and Summer, she doubted though that the temperature would be high enough for the plants to continue to grow during autumn or even winter, the frost on the ground that still remained showed that Winter Snow hung around a few days after the temperature began to rise again. Though still early in the season, perhaps something could have sprouted enough to be picked…

Survival – While food can be eaten fast, it is never good to eat something dry and tasteless fast, as the body will not remember eating it. While the Hardtack fills the hole for a long time, the peckish feeling is sure to rise during sleep…

Work – Looking around the area she could be sure that the aboveground plants known as; Rat Weed, Fisherberries and Rope reed would be able to grow naturally, other above ground plant could aswell but would be needed to be planted later in the middle of the Spring season to be able to harvest them before the temperature began to go down in Fall. With it taking 30mins to find a possible sprout she was able to find 12 spots, which had enough to harvest. Well would have if she hadn’t stepped onto 5 of the plants. But to make up for it, she also found 4 other spots. Which had twice as much as the other 12. Finding 11 plants in total, just need to work out what they were… After taking a closer look at them back at camp she was able to descren that there were 4 Rat Weeds, 2 Fisherberries and 5 Ropereeds….

New Skill leveled up – Dabbling Herbalist - 54 Herbalist Experience gained – To next level 446

Revival – Sleep was well if it wasn’t for the Grumbling stomach noises from her own belly keeping her up as dawn approached, she awoke in the morning hungry…

Hunger
[=====~===]

Thirst
[======~==]

[Slightly hungry]

Woke up a bit peckish just before breakfast | -20 happiness
Woke up with the Kittens snuggling me | +20 happiness

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:41:16 am by Neyvn »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did they fall off the table?  :-\
I now see why other games like this die, that took a while...
Now I know what I am doing for my rolls It should come through faster next time...
Hope everyone feels happy about everything... ^_^ night, gotta wake up for work in 5 hours...

Nevyn's Actions

Survival - 2 hours for Breakfast and Supper (Lunch is had while at work)
Work - 9 hours filling shelves, crushing boxes, putting up with asshole coworkers and annoying customers, carrying old ladies/preg ladies/injured people's groceries and finally cleaning shelves with Gumption and a Scrubbing pad.
Revival - 4 hours of spending quality time with Girlfriend, 2 hours of possibly doing another results post and 5 hours of sleep..

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a great amount of detail, it's very well crafted. But it's simply impractical if it takes so long for the first turn, without any of the coming clutter.

Suggestions:

-Outsource some of it to the players to fill in themselves.
-Combine multiple days into one post (assuming nothing interesting happens.)
-Find a person to co-GM with, either in alternating turns or by taking over a certain aspect of the game.

It's been fantastic and we've only had one turn, but this simply isn't sustainable.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27