Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10964 10965 [10966] 10967 10968 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13507011 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164475 on: March 07, 2024, 07:30:00 pm »

It does seem kind of short-sighted to blow off an interview with a "lesser" employer, as sometimes one ends up needing that "lesser" employer down the road.

I think general curtesy and common sense died in the fires of the Pandemic.

Also: 10+ years in a field doesn't make someone good, just experienced. Could be 10+ years of sucking.

"Hey, I have 10 years of experience!"
"How many jobs have you had?"
"Five"

It's not always bad. Some people legitimately do focus on their career to the point they move jobs every few years to either upgrade or escape dead end prospects. And they pick up skills from each along the way.

But yeah. It's an entry-level position and I have people that have managed teams of 8+ people at fairly big names in town, for years, applying. And then you agree to interview someone basically green and they don't even show up. 'tis a strange world out there.

This is my first go of actually doing hiring so it's all still fairly new to me. So that's why I'm still kind of shocked by a few things. This ain't Burger King so I expected a bit less flakiness for a tech position.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164476 on: March 08, 2024, 11:06:04 am »

Yeah, when I've only gotten a response from 1% of the applications I put out, I don't exactly feel bad blowing off the hr department of the lesser offer when I do get two in a row and the better one is almost a guarantee.. What goes around comes around, you know?
"Other companies ignored me at the most trivial and low-effort part of the process which they likely go through in the hundreds if not thousands, so I'm going to waste the time of one of the few companies that DID take the time for me after they've put in actual effort, that'll show... all those other guys who don't know me from Adam, all right."
Yeah, I feel bad for that 1% of companies that show basic decency.  Maybe the problem is the other 99% of them, and we need some systemic solution.

OR I guess we could blame every individual job seeker who doesn't give full benefit of the doubt to all 100% of companies and gets burned 99% of the time.  Clearly they're the real problem here. 

If every individual is just SUPER nice and volunteers time and emotional energy to all the bad companies, maybe they'll deign to treat us like human fucking beings more often.  Great plan!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164477 on: March 08, 2024, 06:09:37 pm »

There's something so striking about the difference between people on display here.

How someone treat others vs. how he demands to be treated says a lot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164478 on: March 08, 2024, 06:27:25 pm »

Not quite a WTF but...work paid for managers to go do a sensory deprivation float experience. They put you in a tank with like a 60% epsom salt solution so you float, buck naked, about 6 inches off the bottom of the tank. The water is the same temperature as your skin so you aren't supposed to feel it. Inside the tank its completely dark and the room its in is sound proof.

And I'm not gonna like....I was kind of disappointed. I've read about total sensory deprivation and that's kind of what I was hoping for. This was sense dep lite. About the only time you really drowned everything out was when your ears went under the water line, but you still get that kind of thrumming effect.

For the first 20? minutes I was kinda bored. Then I relaxed into it and, surprisingly, my mind kind of cleared. Probably about 50 minutes in and I think I was starting to fall sleep. Then the music came on, which I heard through the water, and it was over. Truth be told I was pretty relaxed and peaceful in my mind afterward, but that may as easily be the fact I didn't drink coffee to start the day, for the first time in.....I don't want to think how long.

And it was kind of neat to feel my back side totally suspended in water.

But all in all, it wasn't total sensory deprivation and that's what I was hoping for. I found some benefits but it wasn't that much of an experience. I'm glad work paid for it, but I wouldn't pay $75 to do that for an hour on the reg. I took the whole day off from work as a "me" day and got a massage too, for about the same price, and I'd say a massage beats out that experience 3x.

Also the waiver was funny. "If I defecate/urination/ejaculate in the tank I understand I may be charged up to $1500 to clean the tank and replace the salt." Along with over waivers about psychotic breaks, open wounds, injuring yourself, etc....The things that place has probably seen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:04:00 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164479 on: March 08, 2024, 06:36:38 pm »

Considering that people sometimes go crazy in total sensory deprivation, it's not surprising that your work won't pay for it. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164480 on: March 08, 2024, 06:40:36 pm »

Also the waiver was funny. "If I defecate/urination/ejaculate in the tank I understand I may be charged up to $1500 to clean the tank and replace the salt." Along with over waivers about psychotic breaks, open wounds, injuring yourself, etc....The things that place has probably seen.
Heh, at 75 bucks for an hour and a potential 15 hundred cleaning charge, I imagine most of what they've seen are old people :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164481 on: March 08, 2024, 07:11:26 pm »

Heh, at 75 bucks for an hour and a potential 15 hundred cleaning charge, I imagine most of what they've seen are old people :P
I think, also, nobody else has time to sit around in a bottle of water in the dark.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164482 on: March 08, 2024, 07:18:43 pm »

I doubt that.

Pretty unlikely that someone over the age of 70 who isn't extremely fit can go prone in the tank for an hour, then pull themselves out. You had to sign part of the waiver saying you affirmed you don't need assistance getting in and out of the tank.

Tech bros, hippies and the wealthy young seem more like their clientele.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164483 on: March 08, 2024, 07:26:18 pm »

Ah, in other words incredibly large amounts of drugs. That'd do it about as well.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164484 on: March 08, 2024, 07:50:59 pm »

Ah, in other words incredibly large amounts of drugs. That'd do it about as well.

Possibly why my reaction was largely "Yep. This is a thing."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:42:43 pm by nenjin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164485 on: March 08, 2024, 10:09:51 pm »

float tank was honestly kind of enh

Gove me the full body swedish instead plox
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164486 on: March 08, 2024, 10:51:38 pm »

No other emotion threads fit this.

I'm scared and anxious about writing the ending to my book. Like I have no idea how to not fuck it up. Yes I set myself to not have a hard deadline. Yes I actually kinda sorta planned it this time. But I'm worried.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164487 on: March 08, 2024, 11:08:32 pm »

Worry not! The worst that happens is you fuck up, and join the vast majority of written works ever produced. Worst case scenario, you'll just be in very prolific company! That's not that terrible of a place to be.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164488 on: March 08, 2024, 11:53:27 pm »

A lot of authors considered decent have the issue of not quite knowing how to stick the ending, I suppose...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164489 on: March 08, 2024, 11:58:47 pm »

I'm also worried that the quality of my writing decayed as my book went on and that's why the views fell in the last few chapters-- but frankly I think that's because most of the views on the previous chapters are actually people re-reading so I don't have a reason to worry.
Pages: 1 ... 10964 10965 [10966] 10967 10968 ... 10992