Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10908 10909 [10910] 10911 10912 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570493 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163635 on: September 21, 2023, 03:25:08 pm »

Dude, expecting food intended to be handled on receipt to not be hot enough to leave welts on your skin is not insane, it's expecting basic safety precautions out of food prep. This isn't expecting something to be a perfect temperature, it's expecting one that's enough in the range of the use case being sold under it's not literally dangerous to handle, or at least for there to be some kind of indication that, yes, this shit can put you in the emergency room for burns if not handled carefully.

Personally, as someone that's handled several hundred of those things over the course of my life, there hasn't been once that a McD franchise handed over a box of kid's nugs hot enough to leave burns, and if one was I'd be very strongly wondering what the actual fuck the one I just visited is doing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163636 on: September 21, 2023, 03:47:20 pm »

Dude, expecting food intended to be handled on receipt to not be hot enough to leave welts on your skin is not insane, it's expecting basic safety precautions out of food prep. This isn't expecting something to be a perfect temperature, it's expecting one that's enough in the range of the use case being sold under it's not literally dangerous to handle, or at least for there to be some kind of indication that, yes, this shit can put you in the emergency room for burns if not handled carefully.
Food delivered via drive-through is not intended to be handled on receipt. Who even does that? Do you just start digging into the bag immediately?

The lady in the hot coffee case clearly understood that coffee is not traditionally served at a drinkable temperature - coffee snobs say it should be served at 180-185°F - because she didn't try to drink it right away, but instead, was putting cold creamer into it. The main problem is that she for some bizarre reason thought the appropriate place to do this was in her crotch. If you make coffee or tea or even cocoa at home, then apply it directly to the crotch, you will burn yourself. This is a normal outcome of stuffing near-boiling water in your crotch and fiddling with it so that it spills. Hot, steeped drinks are supposed to be served near boiling. You'll notice that nobody ever gulps down hot coffee straight off the presses either - you blow on it, swill it a bit, sip it gingerly; many people add cold milk. And again, this lady already knew this too. Even if she hadn't, there was already a warning on the cup.

Look, I'm not saying what happened to the lady didn't suck, but we as a species have to be able to agree that putting liquid which, regardless of the exact temperature, you know by definition has just been boiled, in a flimsy paper cup, into your lap in order to pull the lid off is foolish and you are probably going to squish the cup and burn yourself. This is why cars have cupholders in the first place.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163637 on: September 21, 2023, 04:03:02 pm »

Yes I know about the origin of "warning: contents may be hot."  Which is stupid, of course contents may be hot.

The "origin" being a woman who suffered third degree burns to her genitalia because McDonalds was serving their coffee way too hot.
The other fun part was it caused her labia to fuse.

It wasn't just scalding, it was meltingly hot.

On top of that, part of the reason she got a big payout was that McDicks had been warned and ordered repeatedly to lower the coffee temperature and didn't, so the judge decided to chuck a large (Although not for their revenue) punitive cost their way.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163638 on: September 21, 2023, 04:07:20 pm »

The old coffee one was odd though - that coffee was demonstrably hotter than expected for normal situations, which "everyone" knows now - it's old news.

So I guess the question is - was the nugget hotter than expected?

Also I really don't understand the worldview espoused by the comment above about companies intentionally harming people for money.  That's not really a modus operandi of companies.  Now, after learning of harm, are they willing to spend money to try and hush it up? Yes.  But most companies are not out to maim their clients.  I don't understand why this idea gets promoted.  I mean even if they don't have to pay immediately, once about more than a socially-accepted number of people start getting maimed, nobody's going to buy products from that company anyway.

ASIDE: I will often get "fresh out of the fryer" food from McDs - I don't know why you'd expect there to be a delay there.

It's only when a very small handful of people get maimed is there this odd area... where it's like "was it really negligence or abuse, or was this just random failure?"  Sometimes it's pretty clear (*ahem* submarines *ahem*) but other times it's not, or it was due to naivety, not malice (e.g., thorium paint in glowing clock hands).

Like I really don't think McD's was "let's see how many people we can burn with the coffee!"  It was "we could get less complaints about cold coffee if it was hotter..." but then they got complaints of too hot and still didn't reduce the temperature.  That's what made it a special case: not that the coffee was hot.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163639 on: September 21, 2023, 04:11:38 pm »

In the grimdark future of the 23rd century, I kind of expect people, or at least some people, to survive on a nutrient paste IV.

Cut out the middleman of eating and digestion.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163640 on: September 21, 2023, 04:15:37 pm »

The old coffee one was odd though - that coffee was demonstrably hotter than expected for normal situations, which "everyone" knows now - it's old news.
It wasn't, though. The temperature was reported as "180°-190°", which is a normal serving temperature for coffee recommended by coffee snobs. Most people DRINK coffee at lower temperatures, of course, but it's generally supposed to be better to serve it fresh so people can choose how long to wait before they're ready to start drinking.

Putting coffee in your crotch to play with it is never a recommended part of the coffee-drinking process.

There's just no getting around this. I prefer to prepare my foods at temperatures which are more than hot enough to cause severe burns - like, on the table at 300° - but, you know, I don't stick my dick in it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163641 on: September 21, 2023, 04:25:59 pm »

That... also sounds like you maybe shouldn't be allowed to prepare food for other people, and may be a danger to yourself.

Like, incredibly basic food safety generally involves not putting food on the table when it's still at 300 degrees, for a pile of reasons, most of them involving severe burns. Let that stuff cool off a little before you serve. It ain't complicated.
Ask not!
Ask!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163642 on: September 21, 2023, 04:29:12 pm »

I don't want it to cool off. If it cools off, then I have to put it back in the oven.

The fact that your reaction to my personal preference is "well, you shouldn't be allowed to make food then" is hilarious to me. How on earth is it any of your business what temperature I serve my own food at in my own house? "but, but, but the RULES!"

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #163643 on: September 21, 2023, 04:32:01 pm »

So I guess the question is - was the nugget hotter than expected?

Arguably, yes. A restaurant is supposed to serve food fit for human consumption, any reasonable law maker would deem temperature to be a factor just as much as other sanitary criteria. Since the nugget was hot enough to cause harm in the, generaly tougher, skin then it wasn't safe to come in contact with the mouth, throat etc so it wasn't fit to be consumed, thus shouldn't be served....yet.

I guess the "shouldn't be served yet" is where the "harm people for profit" stems from. There might be arguments about serving food hot enough to not get cold after a short commute but personaly I think the major reason is to just serve more customers in the same time frame.

That... also sounds like you maybe shouldn't be allowed to prepare food for other people, and may be a danger to yourself.

I sure hope they serve their guest on plates/cups bearing "food too hot handle" signs. Else they sue them :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:44:15 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163644 on: September 21, 2023, 05:36:38 pm »

Unrelated to the latest bit of corporate malfeasance, it's kinda' weird when spam stuff just... misses. Really hard.

I've been getting text messages about a recall notice on "my" ford fusion, but, like. There's two car titles in my name right now, and neither of them are a ford. I've driven a ford before, but it was a model from the 90s and, well. Recall notices are kinda' over for it, nevermind it got totaled when someone was borrowing it somewhere around a decade ago.

Like, I get they make their margin by just shotgunning crap all over the place and reeling any whatever poor blighter bites (either directly by fooling them or selling on the information they can get off the call when it's answered), but... c'mon. Aim a little better. Don't send phishing crap about ford vehicles to someone that doesn't own a ford. Even a little diligence, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163645 on: September 21, 2023, 05:45:45 pm »

Like, incredibly basic food safety generally involves not putting food on the table when it's still at 300 degrees, for a pile of reasons, most of them involving severe burns. Let that stuff cool off a little before you serve. It ain't complicated.

Black Rock Steakhouse's entire gimmick is literally putting a 755°F rock with a raw steak on it in front of you on the table.

Funny thing is they charge as much for that as places that cook it for you, and you've got to cook it yourself!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163646 on: September 21, 2023, 07:18:53 pm »

Decided to start using firefox for work and study in an attempt to increase productivity (compared to just using chrome for everything).
Except firefox tabs are just trash, and I'm not sure how to fix it. In any decent UI tabs are clearly visually distinct. In firefox they 1) Take up a ton of space, even if you take the trouble to go digging in UI settings that normal users don't mess with they still take up multiple times more then chrome, 2) Just all blend together into a single mushy useless blur that somehow are markedly less clear then chrome tabs despite taking up multiple times the amount of space per tab. Ugh.

I managed to find and install Lepton which adds tab dividers back in but the whole "Tabs take up far more space without providing any additional information or functionality" thing is still super annoying.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163647 on: September 21, 2023, 07:32:40 pm »

I like firefox.

Ill admit the tabs are enh, but I bookmark anything I might lose or not get to.  As a result I have a lot of bookmarks.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163648 on: September 21, 2023, 07:44:32 pm »

Something is fucking up with this bed. The laptop can be placed in the middle of it and the slightest incline (Such as that caused by me getting in or out of it) causes it to slide off like it's on lubed up ice. Wouldn't be so much of an issue if it wasn't 1:45 in the morning and there wasn't a room underneath me which is probably occupied.

I need a bloody rubberised pad to put the laptop on, I swear.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163649 on: September 22, 2023, 04:00:59 pm »

Can't get a refill on my prescription for another week. I have one day's worth left, and that's actually the leftovers from the previous prescription course. My doctor already approved it days ago, so I can only assume my insurance is blocking me from getting a refill. The reason this didn't fully work last time was because I didn't take it for long enough.

Also my mom seems to think that I can fix this simply by calling my doctor at 5PM on a Friday, which wouldn't work even if he was in(he's probably not) because he'd have to write a new prescription that my insurance would then have to approve which they most likely won't; after all it was originally prescribed the way it was because my insurance wouldn't have approved it otherwise. This is the problem she has, she gets things in her head that makes her think she knows better. For example, she initially thought there was an OTC version of my prescription(why would I bother with all this, then?!), only to correct herself because she thought I was taking an antibiotic. Its... not an antibiotic. And if it were, then running out for at least a week would be a much more severe problem.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 10908 10909 [10910] 10911 10912 ... 11040