Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10894 10895 [10896] 10897 10898 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14574580 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163425 on: August 23, 2023, 06:00:35 pm »

Sounds like a dumb system, if you can get a company in trouble by punching in too early for a lunch break, and auditors assuming it's because the company is violating the minimum lunch break time requirement.  Basically, looking at punch-time records is insufficient diagnostic data.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163426 on: August 23, 2023, 09:19:37 pm »

According to the news, the Fukushima nuclear accident is about to be solved in the form of emitting the radioactive water to the sea, this accident makes the headline.
What makes me feeling WTF is that why there is not any western countries opposing the Japanese government, since it is a disaster that effects the residents all over the world .
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163427 on: August 23, 2023, 09:29:03 pm »

Countries with active nuclear plants, including China, routinely release far more radioactive water than this into the ocean. The water is treated to remove the most active radiation sources, but some of the lower-level stuff effectively can't be. These low-radiation but long-lived isotopes (on par with natural uranium in potency, are nowhere near enough to increase the average radiation level of the oceans - natural sources contribute far more, and water is an excellent radiation blocker.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163428 on: August 23, 2023, 09:43:44 pm »

Countries with active nuclear plants, including China, routinely release far more radioactive water than this into the ocean. The water is treated to remove the most active radiation sources, but some of the lower-level stuff effectively can't be. These low-radiation but long-lived isotopes (on par with natural uranium in potency, are nowhere near enough to increase the average radiation level of the oceans - natural sources contribute far more, and water is an excellent radiation blocker.

So, is it useless for me to think about this disaster? But according to an article I have just read, this disaster affects the USA more than China.

According to my somewhat scarce knowledge of biology, the radioactive material will become richer in the creatures which lives on the higher station of the food chain, which makes me feeling horrible.

Nobody will know how this disaster will effect us, but this afternoon will witness the historical moment .
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163429 on: August 23, 2023, 10:14:33 pm »

As far as I’m aware they’re not releasing it all at once, they’re treating it and diluting it with seawater before they release it into the ocean, and it’s been approved by the UN nuclear watchdog and IAEA.

I imagine any news sources in China are inflating the issue because they don’t like Japan for various reasons, including history between the countries, current alliances with the US, plus ownership issues over various islands and about Taiwan.

It’s not an ideal situation, but it’s currently sitting in tanks, and if those tanks were to break it would be worse.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163430 on: August 24, 2023, 01:47:27 am »

The stuff has been diluted and treated so much that it doesn't pose any significant threat for marine life or anyone eating marine life.
The oceans are so vast that dilution to natural radiation levels of such a small amount of waste water will be near instant.

Note that in the early days of nuclear power, most countries just dumped their spent fuel rods straight into the ocean, and we still eat fish without problems.

So yeah, what you have heard about this, Zhijinghao, is Chinese media blowing it way out of proportion for whatever reasons.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:49:58 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163431 on: August 24, 2023, 01:48:13 am »

It's simply not really a disaster. The claimed disaster is fake. There are far more, far worse things getting dumped into the ocean; for just one example, more radioactive fly ash from coal plants makes it into the ocean than this.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163432 on: August 24, 2023, 03:02:20 am »

Not only does fly ash release a higher volume of radioactives than this will, the radioactives it contains are more radioactive. Coal contains natural trace levels of not only uranium and thorium (on par with what the nuclear plant is releasing) but radium as well. These are present in very small quantities, of course, but when you burn away most of the material you concentrate them bigly. That's before you consider the immense amount of coal burned on a daily basis.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163433 on: August 24, 2023, 03:14:49 am »

Geesh. The forest fires in Canada destroyed an area of 15 million hectares. The fires already broke the previous record of the entire year 1991 in june (7.1 million hectares).

15 million hectares. That's almost 4 times the Netherlands.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163434 on: August 24, 2023, 03:23:04 am »

From the news here I get the information as follows:

1.China’s general customs administration has suspended the import of the sea products from Japan just because this accident, it seems like when the Taiwan government did something that make my government unhappy, we often stop the import of the sea product for some reasons such as parasitic disease.

2.Our news media used one interesting word “力排众议” this word means many people and organizations are not supporting the Japanese government. News also spread that many Japanese folks have launched many campaigns against the government.

3.The radioactive elements, such as C14 Sr90 H3 are harmful to the human body.

Well, I did not know what The foreigners would say, but many friends here are insulting the Japanese government for its irresponsible behavior.

Dear martinuzz you are not so concerned, maybe that is because you westerners lived in Netherlands , not China, if you lived in China you might be as concerned as me.

But who knows? Maybe the radioactive water is not so harmful as I thought
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 03:33:42 am by zhijinghaofromchina »
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163435 on: August 24, 2023, 03:47:21 am »

1.China’s general customs administration has suspended the import of the sea products from Japan just because this accident, it seems like when the Taiwan government did something that make my government unhappy, we often stop the import of the sea product for some reasons such as parasitic disease.

Your second sentence here explains what is going on - China is suspending importation as a political tool, using a largely fictitious excuse.

2.Our news media used one interesting word “力排众议” this word means many people and organizations are not supporting the Japanese government. News also spread that many Japanese folks have launched many campaigns against the government.

The last large-scale protests relating to Fukishima were in 2013. There are none in Japan relating to the issue at hand, and the government is receiving no noteworthy pushback. There are some in Korea, primarily because the opposition party is using it as a wedge issue

3.The radioactive elements, such as C14 Sr90 H3 are harmful to the human body.

Well, I did not know what The foreigners would say, but many friends here are insulting the Japanese government for its irresponsible behavior.
If you are concerned about this, look closer to home. The nuclear plants in China dump far more of the same isotopes in the water near China than this routinely. Every atomic scientist on the planet has concluded that this does not pose a detectable health hazard because the amount is extremely negligible.

Dear martinuzz you are not so concerned, maybe that is because you westerners lived in Holland , not China, if you lived in China you might be as concerned as me.

Holland will be impacted more significantly than China will by this, because ocean currents will carry the water from the dump site directly away from China, past the Americas, along the coast of Europe and back past the Americas before it ever comes close to China.

Your government is making a big deal about this because it lets them demonize the government of a country they don't like. Full stop. The amount of time you have spent worrying about this has already done more damage to your health than the thing you're worrying about ever will.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163436 on: August 24, 2023, 04:00:40 am »

Why worry about the radiation when you can bask in it's glow?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163437 on: August 24, 2023, 04:11:25 am »

Maybe I am too worried, but everyone here are also worried about it, just now one fellow student of my college posted an insulting comment on this stuff.
Why worry about the radiation when you can bask in it's glow?
😅 Maybe you are saying a joke, sunshine is different this radiation.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163438 on: August 24, 2023, 07:11:11 am »

Geesh. The forest fires in Canada destroyed an area of 15 million hectares. The fires already broke the previous record of the entire year 1991 in june (7.1 million hectares).

15 million hectares. That's almost 4 times the Netherlands.

You're lucky the Netherlands doesn't have any trees
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163439 on: August 24, 2023, 07:43:18 am »

I'm sure those in hurricane areas will think nothingburger, but we got 4" of rain (100mm) last night over the course of about 4 hours.  My yard flooded as it often does.

The WTF:  I have a spot of wet carpet in my basement.  In the middle of the floor only, so not seeping in from the walls. Crap was it seeping up from a crack in the foundation? Nope: water coming in from the ceiling.  But only a single tile... and this tile is "in the middle" of the room, underneath the upstairs.

There is a vent that exits onto our deck, which I never knew its source.  The wind must've pushed the rain into the vent, because the duct to which the vent is connected is full of water, and that is leaking int my basement.

Now I have to figure out... to what does the vent go? Can I just plug it up?  It's a soft vent line, definitely not part of HVAC... but I can't tell where it goes.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10894 10895 [10896] 10897 10898 ... 11041