Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10839 10840 [10841] 10842 10843 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573083 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162600 on: May 06, 2023, 08:36:52 am »

Probably better than half the ones I've seen like that that are still running has had somewhere between "most of it" and "functionally everything" replaced at some point.

... and most of the ones that hadn't, "still running" was a very inconsistent statement, heh. There's only so much maintenance can do about the kind of wear that accrues over decades of regular use, regardless of how a vehicle's built. Eventually stuff breaks when it's hauling around hundreds of pounds of car bits.
For structural stuff, maybe eventually. My current daily driver is on ~175k miles and the only major work that it's had in 20 years is replacing the struts. Everything else is just basic maintenance -- fluid changes, brake pads, tires, &c. Only started seeing rust in the past year or so, and that because I can't be bothered to repaint it. As far as I'm concerned a vehicle that needs repeated major work in the first 25-30 years of operation is a cheap, poorly designed shitmobile. I laugh every time a colleague buys Ford and it spends more time in the shop than on the road in the first year.

Grew up with an Olds that was still in perfect working order except for the frame rotting out from under it. Folks sold the engine with 200k+ on it for a couple hundred bucks and as far as I remember it got dropped into a different car.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162601 on: May 06, 2023, 09:26:21 am »

We have a joke in german: He rode forth and was never seen again.
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162602 on: May 06, 2023, 09:50:14 am »

German humour is no laughing matter.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162603 on: May 06, 2023, 09:55:40 am »

hehe somehow it allways turns morbid
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162604 on: May 07, 2023, 03:05:54 am »

For structural stuff, maybe eventually. My current daily driver is on ~175k miles and the only major work that it's had in 20 years is replacing the struts. Everything else is just basic maintenance -- fluid changes, brake pads, tires, &c. Only started seeing rust in the past year or so, and that because I can't be bothered to repaint it. As far as I'm concerned a vehicle that needs repeated major work in the first 25-30 years of operation is a cheap, poorly designed shitmobile. I laugh every time a colleague buys Ford and it spends more time in the shop than on the road in the first year.

Grew up with an Olds that was still in perfect working order except for the frame rotting out from under it. Folks sold the engine with 200k+ on it for a couple hundred bucks and as far as I remember it got dropped into a different car.
This is pretty much my experience with cars, I've got one from 85 and all it needs to get back on the road is a battery and radiator hoses.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162605 on: May 07, 2023, 07:12:02 am »

Pretentious Artsy game idea: An Adventure game in the vein of Monkey Island, but you have several disembodied voices narrating over the gameplay MST3K style. At certain story beats, there's an intermission to the "movie" and the perspective changes to you, one of the participants of the MST3K crew that are actually a dysfunctional group of friends that are suffering from some traumatic drama and are being aggravating nuisances in the movie theater to try to ineffectively cope with what they're dealing with. You have to use this segment to try to speak with your friends during this intermission and try to resolve the latent emotional tension before it boils over into a real shitstorm that threatens to destroy your relationships forever. Then the "Haha funny movie" comes back on and you're perspective-switched back to the protagonist of the movie; and this cycle continues throughout the story of the game until both the stories of the movie and the stories of the friends reach their climax.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162606 on: May 07, 2023, 07:49:57 am »

I didn't know they still had those kinds of theatres
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162607 on: May 07, 2023, 07:58:49 am »

You’ve not lived until you’ve experienced a gallon of gasoline in your oil pan because the camshaft-driven fuel pump diaphragm failed.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162608 on: May 07, 2023, 02:43:08 pm »

Pretentious Artsy game idea: An Adventure game in the vein of Monkey Island, but you have several disembodied voices narrating over the gameplay MST3K style. At certain story beats, there's an intermission to the "movie" and the perspective changes to you, one of the participants of the MST3K crew that are actually a dysfunctional group of friends that are suffering from some traumatic drama and are being aggravating nuisances in the movie theater to try to ineffectively cope with what they're dealing with. You have to use this segment to try to speak with your friends during this intermission and try to resolve the latent emotional tension before it boils over into a real shitstorm that threatens to destroy your relationships forever. Then the "Haha funny movie" comes back on and you're perspective-switched back to the protagonist of the movie; and this cycle continues throughout the story of the game until both the stories of the movie and the stories of the friends reach their climax.

wow, positively fever dreamy

I love it
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162609 on: May 08, 2023, 08:13:53 pm »

Car insurance jumped up £50 since last year so I thought I'd have a look about at other insurers.

Comprehensive cover is, at its cheapest, £470. Still £60 more expensive than continuing with my current insurers.

Third party only, ie the bare legal minimum, is £750 at its cheapest. What the actual fuck?!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162610 on: May 08, 2023, 08:21:41 pm »

~$180 a month for my Dodge Charger
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162611 on: May 08, 2023, 08:24:04 pm »

GO is-234, maybe being a negative duocentenarian is a risk factor.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162612 on: May 08, 2023, 08:30:03 pm »

~$180 a month for my Dodge Charger
Ah, this is an annual quote mind.

And it's a 2017 Skoda Fabia, so it's no really a powerful car (Though it *is* the more powerful model)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162613 on: May 08, 2023, 08:30:31 pm »

Is it a hatchback?

Nah it’s just tiny. Might be that it’s a first car for people ‘cause it’s cheap, so insurance companies are a bit less inclined to insure it as a consequence.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:33:40 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162614 on: May 08, 2023, 08:38:19 pm »

Fecking cost me £10000

Got it right when car prices started going up because that's when me old Fox wound up failing its MOT and being more expensive to repair than the car was worth.

Anyway, the confusion was more because the insurance that covers more stuff is cheaper. Looking it up, apparently it's because poor drivers try to use third party only to make it cheaper but even so this'll just drive them to comprehensive insurance surely?
Pages: 1 ... 10839 10840 [10841] 10842 10843 ... 11041