Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10838 10839 [10840] 10841 10842 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572120 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162585 on: May 04, 2023, 11:47:13 am »

I'm not so much worried about the money in my bank, so much as the value of the money deciding to become worthless one day. It's not implausible for something to cause runaway inflation, or for the oil companies that back the usd to suddenly collapse due to some political snafu; and then the only thing preventing American society from immediately degenerating into bloody anarchy is the social contract... and we already know how much that's worth.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162586 on: May 04, 2023, 12:25:38 pm »

You know what McTraveller, I apologize, that wasn't even related to the conversation. I just woke up and chose cynicism today.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162587 on: May 04, 2023, 01:47:34 pm »

Eh? I must have missed something you considered untoward.  I think I agree with you - worrying about bank balances being lost is a silly thing, because there are many other possible scenarios that are worse.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162588 on: May 04, 2023, 09:51:33 pm »

I'm am way too fucking warm.

And I think the reason is my laptop.

It's not super hot, but there's a notable temperature difference between one side and the other, and the hot side has my laptop on it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162589 on: May 04, 2023, 10:27:40 pm »

They definitely can put out some heat, especially if there's issues with the internal cooling. Old laptop I had had a busted fan for... years, and there were times parts of it got hot enough to straight up burn me, left marks on my skin. Didn't scar, fortunately, but it fried the hell out of me for a while a few times.

When the AC's out in florida summer and the laptop's capable of burning flesh on a cool day, you test just how much you want that internet connection. Also maybe risk a house fire, but, y'know.

E: Incidentally, it was also why I found out about Battle Encoder Shirase, and early underclocking/CPU throttling stuff in general -- I did it because if the CPU went too hard, the bloody thing would overheat to the point it just shut down. Turns out the things do actually have safeguards against that, even decades ago :V

But yeah, if you're curious, there's software that'll read the internal temp of your lappie. If there hasn't been some pretty substantial improvements on that front since the last time I looked at that stuff, it'll probably be running somewhere over 80F/~27C, often even higher. It's a testament to thermoregulation those things don't feel like tiny ovens.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:33:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162590 on: May 04, 2023, 11:06:49 pm »

You know, I hadn't thought to check and uh...

I start getting nervous when my tower's CPU gets to 45C

Laptop's running between 70 and 75

But it's old. Like I bought it in 2017/18 and it was cheap then. I'm kinda surprised it's lasted this long with frequent use honestly.

EDIT: In the new WTF: It's 5:11. I'm not asleep because my brain's flip-flopping between "Your transition is going to be awful, you'll always look like a man even with FFS" and "It's only been 4 1/2 months, you'll be fine and come out the other end looking fucking amazing"

Wish it'd settle on one or the other. I'd enjoy reassurance, I can cope with despair after living through 5 years of it, I can't handle the fucking emotional metronome going on.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:09:07 pm by Great Order »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162591 on: May 04, 2023, 11:08:45 pm »

Cooling quality will not change the heat output of the laptop into the room. At thermal equilibrium the heat production of the laptop equals the outflow from the laptop into the room. Cooling quality only affects the internal temperature of the laptop at equilibrium. In fact worse cooling will likely reduce the heat output as it causes thermal throttling to manage temperature.

Ninja edit: 70 C is perfectly fine for a computer and a laptop especially to run continuously. 45 C is a great temp.

Modern processors are rated up to 105 C or so and will throttle before they are in any real danger. It's also nearly never the processor that fails first, especially with a flimsy thing like a laptop. The power delivery or battery will conk out before that.

EDIT RE EDIT: Yeah I have that too sometimes, with respect to other things than you're going through of course. In general I feel like my brain is often inconveniently volatile.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:20:09 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162592 on: May 05, 2023, 12:09:33 am »

105 Celsius? So boil water hot?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162593 on: May 05, 2023, 12:38:46 am »

I mean, if it'll cook manflesh it kin prob'ly boil water, and I've had the welts to show it'll cook manflesh.

But yeah, some of the more recent stuff tops out over 100C. Most probably shouldn't be quite that hot -- quick refresh check shows normal, non-high end stuff is more like 10-35c (which is still topping out a bit under half-way to boiling, heh) -- but some of the ones closer to cutting edge are managing to safely(-ish) sustain temps in the "could probably cook your ramen, too" range.
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162594 on: May 05, 2023, 02:10:22 am »

They definitely can put out some heat, especially if there's issues with the internal cooling. Old laptop I had had a busted fan for... years, and there were times parts of it got hot enough to straight up burn me, left marks on my skin. Didn't scar, fortunately, but it fried the hell out of me for a while a few times.
I've also had that happen a whole bunch of times with a laptop that had a monitor port next to the heat sink, and it was a really dumb pace to put the damn thing.

Probably better than half the ones I've seen like that that are still running has had somewhere between "most of it" and "functionally everything" replaced at some point.

... and most of the ones that hadn't, "still running" was a very inconsistent statement, heh. There's only so much maintenance can do about the kind of wear that accrues over decades of regular use, regardless of how a vehicle's built. Eventually stuff breaks when it's hauling around hundreds of pounds of car bits.
Guess everyone's experience with this kind of thing is different.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162595 on: May 05, 2023, 10:25:35 am »

I mean, if it'll cook manflesh it kin prob'ly boil water, and I've had the welts to show it'll cook manflesh.

But yeah, some of the more recent stuff tops out over 100C. Most probably shouldn't be quite that hot -- quick refresh check shows normal, non-high end stuff is more like 10-35c (which is still topping out a bit under half-way to boiling, heh) -- but some of the ones closer to cutting edge are managing to safely(-ish) sustain temps in the "could probably cook your ramen, too" range.

10 C is less than room temperature, and 35 C is close to human temperature. Pretty much everything can handle 105 C (at the source itself) but should stay under that for extended periods of time. The chassis doesn't get that hot, just the chip.

Speaking of, remember the KFConsole?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:33:28 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162596 on: May 05, 2023, 11:30:30 am »

Eh... it's less an issue with more recent designs, but the big problem with older ones wasn't the chassis, it was exposed bits of metal poking out of it. Those old screw-in printer ports and whatnot. That stuff'd get to cookin' (you). Between things being mostly-usb, and general design improvements, most laptops don't have quite the same potential problem with that sort of thing, heh.

And yeah, I remember that thing. Still no release date!
Ask not!
Ask!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162597 on: May 05, 2023, 12:53:18 pm »

Some sleep later and my brain's still churning along.

Just gonna be one of those weeks, I think. Never have them for a single day, it always lasts two at a minimum.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162598 on: May 06, 2023, 04:40:03 am »

Is it pronounced KFKonsole, like console, or KFSonsole, like KFC, or KFChonsole, like chicken?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162599 on: May 06, 2023, 07:12:26 am »

Like console, far as I'm aware. It's a kentucky fried console.

Real question is if it gets paired down to KC or FC when folks ditch the extra syllables, assuming the thing is ever actually produced. My guess would be KC if it turns out somehow decent, FC if it ends up a failconsole.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10838 10839 [10840] 10841 10842 ... 11040