Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10831 10832 [10833] 10834 10835 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570942 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162480 on: April 15, 2023, 04:05:24 pm »

Y'know, I went and double checked their online stuff, and I guess it's a memory hiccup of some sort. I'm not finding any all-purpose stuff with sodium in it where I normally shop.

... if I had to guess what was happening is I was thinking of the baking shelf in general, which is piled with much more than just all-purpose and it's the other stuff I was thinking of it. 'Cause eyeballing the other stuff, the all-purpose is the one that's consistently unsalted, with everything else being... not that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162481 on: April 15, 2023, 06:19:39 pm »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/04/15/us/real-estate-appraisals-bias-reaj/index.html
Turn out, home buyers are racist.
The real estate industry and media are trying to paint this as a lack of diversity in the field, which is accurate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162482 on: April 16, 2023, 02:01:57 am »

Seems like the companies that make food now days just love to throw shit loads of salt into everything for no reason other than that they have some and want to use it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162483 on: April 16, 2023, 08:37:31 am »

Old cartoons can be a trip. Something made for kids, with just casual drinking, smoking, arguably prostitution, pretty blatant racism (no sponges allowed!), etc.

Stuff like that hits me every time I see someone complaining about kids these days, 'cause we have pictures of what it was like for kids those days, and their times were at-minimum no better, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162484 on: April 16, 2023, 10:01:55 am »

Overton and his window man.  We evolve in degrees
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162485 on: April 16, 2023, 10:30:04 am »

pretty blatant racism (no sponges allowed!)
sponges?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162486 on: April 16, 2023, 11:41:54 am »

pretty blatant racism (no sponges allowed!)
sponges?

In the context of the 1940s that would likely be a reference to signs refusing service to a minority. Given the USA at the time it would most likely be Irish, Italians or black people that such signs would refer to.

Alternatively, it could be interpreted to mean no deadbeats/mooches, but I don't think many places had signs saying that, whereas signs refusing entry to people of minority backgrounds were fairly common. Racist/anti-racist material has been documented in cartoons older than this one as well.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162487 on: April 16, 2023, 12:01:13 pm »

Old cartoons can be a trip. Something made for kids, with just casual drinking, smoking, arguably prostitution, pretty blatant racism (no sponges allowed!), etc.

Stuff like that hits me every time I see someone complaining about kids these days, 'cause we have pictures of what it was like for kids those days, and their times were at-minimum no better, ha.

In that era, cartoons were primarily filler before a movie - you would have the previews, a cartoon, a newsreel, another cartoon, then the movie would start. That way you had something to watch while you were waiting, and thus gave you a reason to get comfortably settled in before the main picture. Cartoons didn't become primarily for kids until the television era, and fairly late in the TV era at that, when the ability to make cartoons at very low cost became attractive.

All the original shorts, including Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Silly Symphonies, and most of the original Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck stuff, was made for adults. The same is true for most of the first-generation full-length Disney films. Snow White and Pinocchio and films of that era were considered perfectly acceptable for children, but the target audience was grownups.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162488 on: April 16, 2023, 01:35:16 pm »

It's also not that bad, as far as old timey cartoons are concerned.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162489 on: April 16, 2023, 01:53:54 pm »

Yeah. I think one of the worst I've personally seen was "A woman's place is in the home", which I'd love to link as an example but have never been able to find on Youtube (I experienced it on one of those "X00 Classic Cartoons! DVDs you used to be able to buy at Walmart, where they just dumped a ton of public-domain stuff on a disc and sold it).

It is from the 20s (I think - had a resemblance to the Betty Boop and Popeye shorts from that era in both style and degradation), and I dimly remember it being European rather than American, but the premise is that a Happy Family is visited by a door-to-door vacuum salesman, except that the vacuum is a musical instrument that Mother is talented at. She becomes a famous musician playing to packed concert halls, while Father and Son starve in their filthy hovel. Eventually she's visiting them when another door-to-door salesman comes by with a trumpet, which she starts using to clean the floor. She gives up her career and everybody is happy again! Cue the title moral.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162490 on: April 16, 2023, 02:19:20 pm »

The same is true for most of the first-generation full-length Disney films. Snow White and Pinocchio and films of that era were considered perfectly acceptable for children, but the target audience was grownups.
On the one hand, that explains some things. On the other, the reason I was looking it up was because I remembered it from a VHS I saw when I was a kid, that was specifically marketed and sold as kid's cartoons and picked out by my grandparents (who were still fairly young in the 40s), so...

Though yeah, I've seen worse, that particular one just hit most of the highlights of the stuff in one go, and it'd been long enough since I saw one it stood out more than it used to.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162491 on: April 16, 2023, 02:50:15 pm »

The same is true for most of the first-generation full-length Disney films. Snow White and Pinocchio and films of that era were considered perfectly acceptable for children, but the target audience was grownups.
On the one hand, that explains some things. On the other, the reason I was looking it up was because I remembered it from a VHS I saw when I was a kid, that was specifically marketed and sold as kid's cartoons and picked out by my grandparents (who were still fairly young in the 40s), so...

The idea that cartoons are for kids affected everybody, even the people old enough that they ought to know better. Cultural presence is incredibly strong, especially when so many of the old cartoons were retooled into kid brands later on - Bugs Bunny is very much kid-marketed now, but in the 40s he was routinely used in "Why haven't you enlisted yet?" shorts aimed at people in their early 20s. That means there were a lot of "classic cartoons" VHS/DVD collections that were marketed toward kids, and purchased for kids, with stuff that was very much not for kids. This becomes more true when you factor in that a lot of moderns won't even pick up on certain shit that was once common - a fair number of very racist caricatures are so outdated that people today have to have them explained.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162492 on: April 16, 2023, 02:57:39 pm »

Ah cartoons...
Let's just say my generation is doomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgw8FFtoSU
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162493 on: April 17, 2023, 02:20:00 am »

I've always preferred the cartoons from the 40s because they have way nicer looking animation than most of the crap they put out now days.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162494 on: April 17, 2023, 05:46:27 pm »

Sometimes you lookin' at warnings on something, and it hits you that enough people did that thing someone felt the need to print that label on every single one of these things made. Sometimes, that sorta' makes sense (frozen pizza not specifically made for it, nuking that is possible but it's honestly both a health risk and a very, very acquired taste), but other times...

... anyway, I was looking at a plastic bottle of cheap honey. "Do not microwave in this container", it said. How many people did that and it ended up poorly before that warning got applied...?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10831 10832 [10833] 10834 10835 ... 11040