Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10829 10830 [10831] 10832 10833 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14569509 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162450 on: April 14, 2023, 04:59:20 pm »

Drugs manufacturers get away with having exactly the same thing as a generic brand and charging 5x the amount so there are worse things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162451 on: April 14, 2023, 05:31:48 pm »

I often think that's because a large portion of the populace doesn't realize the generic product must legally be literally identical and held to the same production standards as the brand name
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162452 on: April 14, 2023, 06:39:35 pm »

Basically any protection can be waived if there's a legitimate workplace need, or if there's no possible Reasonable Accommodation.
Oh hey, I just read about that. US Supreme Court is gonna look at that:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/supreme-court-showdown-sabbath-change-workplaces-us/story?id=98027258

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162453 on: April 14, 2023, 06:41:25 pm »

If the expensive fancy bread has the same weight/mass as the cheap bread but has less salt, you are not actually paying more for less sad to say.
Yeah, it's 4 oz less bread for slightly more than twice the price, heh. Hadn't actually paid attention to that before, but you made a point worth checking. Price per oz is like 17 vs 25, this ain't super fancy stuff, but it's enough to notice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162454 on: April 14, 2023, 06:42:10 pm »

It's one of those things I've kvetched about before, but sometimes it just... there's really stark examples. Recently noticed a new-ish type of bread they're selling ("keto-friendly" nonsense, but like the organic nonsense for some other stuff I buy, that crap isn't the point of why I get it) that has significantly less (~70 mg per slice vs ~110 for 1 in standard bread, with slice size and whatnot about even) salt in it but still tastes fine (There's actually outright near saltless bread I've found, but beyond storage issues it tastes just kinda' foul), and, like.

It's about twice the price of the cheap wheat bread around here. Twice the price, just to get something with ~half the salt.

I get why it happens (less demand, so less scale benefit, fancy horseshit=price gouging, etc.), but it's still a WTF every time for price to go up as material amount goes down. There's a part of me that's persistently insistent it's bullshit to pay more to get less of something :-\
You're thinking of Salt/calories as a benefit, and thus you'd be wise not to buy the more expensive option.
But if a product had 50% less toxic waste and cost 5x as much, then it'd be a no-brainer. Don't buy the stuff that'll kill you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162455 on: April 14, 2023, 06:44:49 pm »

... no, I'm definitely thinking of salt as a detriment -- I'm doctor mandated to be avoiding the stuff as much as reasonable, heh. The more expensive thing just has less stuff in it. It's just bread either way, even the cheap stuff is fairly safe as stateside food goes. It just has nearly double the salt.
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162456 on: April 14, 2023, 06:45:03 pm »

The True WTF is Diet Juice. They get that by watering down the juice. It's literally the same product with more water.
Just buy the regular stuff and add water, people!
..but that requires measuring and balancing, and for two US dollars, why bother?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162457 on: April 14, 2023, 06:47:20 pm »

Not just measuring and balancing, but also extra storage and whatnot! I can definitely vouch that doing stuff like that has a cost to it beyond just the measuring and whatnot effort involved, having done it before, heh.

It's one of those small ways people on limited space get dumped on. As they say, it's expensive to be poor.

E: Though, uh, also it's a bit more complicated than "just add water" a lot of the time? Those diluted juice drinks taste significantly different from juice that's been watered down, in my experience, so there's something else going on with those.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:56:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162458 on: April 14, 2023, 07:03:12 pm »

Well, as I had stated, it comes down to balancing. I used to buy 100% Juice exclusively, but getting it to taste decent was far more trouble than the extra cost was worth.

I did however have luck with making my own Iced Tea. Unfortunately, my favorite ingredient, ginsing, has been illusive at the grocery store.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162459 on: April 15, 2023, 01:30:57 am »

When in doubt make it yourself, I've been told that bread is easy to make but I have no experience with that since I can't cook to save my life.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162460 on: April 15, 2023, 02:02:20 am »

It is fairly easy to make bread. I did it for a time.

It is difficult to make bread that stays edible for more than 2 days. It usually went rock-hard after a while.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162461 on: April 15, 2023, 05:42:12 am »

As with all these make-yourself sort of things, it might be cheaper to buy flour (and I guess the power spent in cooking it and w/e else) but it also costs more time, and you gotta find a balance between the two costs.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162462 on: April 15, 2023, 06:05:03 am »

It is fairly easy to make bread. I did it for a time.

It is difficult to make bread that stays edible for more than 2 days. It usually went rock-hard after a while.

That's soup bread, and urs great
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162463 on: April 15, 2023, 07:43:45 am »

As with all these make-yourself sort of things, it might be cheaper to buy flour (and I guess the power spent in cooking it and w/e else) but it also costs more time, and you gotta find a balance between the two costs.
... more than that, it's actually sometimes difficult to find flour without salt in it. Like, it exists and it's not super hard to find, but it's more difficult to find than salted flour and sometimes has stock issues you're not going to have with the salted stuff.

It's really hard to overstate how much fucking sodium most countries put in their foodstuffs. Most folks probably don't think about it or notice until they have a dietary reason to do otherwise, but once you do notice, just... shit is everywhere. Everywhere, and usually in fairly unreasonable quantities.

It's mildly amazing the world doesn't have more problems with hypertension and whatnot than it already does.
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162464 on: April 15, 2023, 07:47:54 am »

You live in culinary dystopia.
Pages: 1 ... 10829 10830 [10831] 10832 10833 ... 11040